Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Any xA w/engine oil cooler installed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default Any xA w/engine oil cooler installed?

Are there any xA owners with an engine oil cooler installed in their rides?

It is freaking 90 something degrees today in CA and I can hear my engine fan kicking on at every stop. I am curious if a $120 engine oil cooler from B&M is worth the investment? Any feedback or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless something is drastically different on this car, I think the fan cycles as a function of water temp, not oil temp. It is also biased by the position of the a/c switch. An oil cooler will be of benefit, but I doubt you will notice the difference judging by how much the fand cycles on and off.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i may make a sugestion making the 1.5l engen run to cool will make your MPG suffer a lil but if u absolutly have to have a engine oil cooler get one withw thermostatic switch it will help pervent your oil from geting to cool and messing with your motor but still slow u to regulate the oil temp i have alot of experince with high HP cars and cooling so im not trying to b.s u at all
Old 06-01-2006, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks all for the input. My '06 STI has an engine oil cooler and it's great keeping temperature in the safe zone during hot days.

I switched out my dino oil (@ 1800 miles) to Mobil 5/30 just for the heck of it and also that fact that I had some quarts in the garage. I did notice the engine runs quieter and revs to beyond 4K rpm is smoother. I got pretty much the same result when I installed Mobil 1 on my STI at 11K miles.

flyerI's comment about the thermostatic switch makes me wonde about the TRD Thermostat upgrade. Has anyone have that installed in his or her ride, and notice any benefit?

Yeah I should be careful about too cool of an engine oil temp since operating temp is required.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

same thing goes with water thermistats to cold is not good the stock thermastat opens at 190F u can put a 180F thermastat and u will run a bit cooler but unless u can alter the turn on /off times in the ECU u arnt gonna have colder engen unless u are moving because the ECU dosnt turn the fan on untill u hit about 200F i have a water temp gauge in my xb i gust did i write up on how to put gauges in you car https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...604399#1604399 so i been monitering when the fan turns on and off and the thermastatic swich i mentined earlyer isnt electrical but mechanical it bypasses 90% of oil away from the oil cooler untill it reaches a spcific temp then it will open and alow 90% oil flow though the cooler if u want more info i can give it to u my 92 mustang is my family drag car so i had to deal with alot of factors and cooling was a big one cause i run in the street class so it has to be driven to the track unfortunatly they closed down our only track temporarily so i wont be back for a while