Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-owners-lounge-1603/)
-   -   Can not accelerate over 2.25 rpm (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-owners-lounge-1603/can-not-accelerate-over-2-25-rpm-231546/)

MeDizzy 09-03-2015 10:08 PM

Can not accelerate over 2.25 rpm

2006 xa. CEL was in. Reset it. Got codes P0122 and two pending P0171 and P0138. Replaced the throttle position sensor and the fuel injector filter (sock). Cleaned throttle body and fuel injector tips. Put sea breeze in before higher grade fuel. Checked O2 sensor and spark plug separation. Friend did an ether spray check. I have scoured the forums leading to all the above. Please help.

StxArOne 09-04-2015 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by MeDizzy (Post 4171138)
2006 xa. CEL was in. Reset it. Got codes P0122 and two pending P0171 and P0138. Replaced the throttle position sensor and the fuel injector filter (sock). Cleaned throttle body and fuel injector tips. Put sea breeze in before higher grade fuel. Checked O2 sensor and spark plug separation. Friend did an ether spray check. I have scoured the forums leading to all the above. Please help.

What fuel grade did you use? Not over 89 right?

What did the codes mean?

Is there smoke?

Make sure to check the timing chain. It's not interference free, so if it goes or has a problem, your valve timing might be way off.

Check to make sure you don't have a clogged exhaust (As crazy as that might sound) or intake.

MeDizzy 09-05-2015 04:36 PM

What fuel grade did you use? Not over 89 right?
Mid-grade. I believe that's the 89

What did the codes mean?
Throttle peddle position sensor a cercit low input P0122
Bank one system pending P0171
Oxygen sensor cercuit level high voltage bank one sensor 2 p0138

Is there smoke?
No

Make sure to check the timing chain. It's not interference free, so if it goes or has a problem, your valve timing might be way off.
I'll definitely look into that.

Check to make sure you don't have a clogged exhaust (As crazy as that might sound) or intake.
Intake is good and clear as well as exhaust.
Thank you so much for the reply. I'll look into the timing chain and let you know.

StxArOne 09-05-2015 04:56 PM

Awesome, yeah let me know. Others might might chime in with some ideas too.

MeDizzy 09-09-2015 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Jim (Post 4171265)
try a simple fix of getting some MAF cleaner. take the MAF sensor out of the intake tube (very carefully) spray it down the with cleaner, and very carefully reinstall it.

Will do. We took it out and inspected it and it looked surprisingly clean but every little bit helps.

SatsumaxA 09-16-2015 01:57 AM

Plugged CAT will do this, check tailpipe, while at idle, for air pushing out. How many miles on the '06??

MeDizzy 09-16-2015 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SatsumaxA (Post 4171425)
Plugged CAT will do this, check tailpipe, while at idle, for air pushing out. How many miles on the '06??

The cat 'sounds' good. No rattle noise. The exhaust is pushing air out. I'm having more educated friends these questions to check.

MeDizzy 09-16-2015 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by StxArOne (Post 4171166)

Where does one find this. I've been doing some research and can only find cross section photos of unnamed portions of engines and I'm not that educated to start. LOL.
Thank got again for your time.

StxArOne 09-18-2015 01:26 AM

Actually have you checked your injectors? Tried running cleaner / troubleshoot those for any issues?

At idle do you hear any strange sounds (such as metal rattling) or notice the engine running poorly at idle? Because those are two easy identifiers that could = timing chain. Shuddering or shaking also. Misfiring. I meant to say all of this sooner, just been really occupied.

Have you thought about taking it to a shop (hopefully you might know one that is actually trustworthy) and having them find out what it is? You can always pay for diagnosis and then do the work yourself. It's super tough online to try and help diagnose because it could literally be a lot of different things (exaust, transmission, sensors, the list could go on and on). I just don't want you running around buying un-needed stuff and spending a bunch of time and money replacing stuff that has nothing to do with the problem =(

For timing it's a bit of a process, how difficult is relative to the person. They cost about 130 or so.

Here is the setting, if it ends up being the timing chain.

Intake Open -7deg to 33deg BTDC
Intake Close 52deg to 12deg ABDC
Exaust Open - 42deg BBDC
Exaust Close - 2deg ATDC

There should also be a lot of videos or guides on it, the 1NZ-FE is a common engine among a lot of Toyotas.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, you can do a visual inspection of the timing chain if you think it's up your alley. Warn links, if it seems loose or chewed up. They are plastic coated, so it should be visible if there is any wear. If you have a parts shop that rents tools or loans, you could pick up a timing gun on loan and find a quick guide how to use it (there really great!) to see where your at.

rmz489 10-05-2015 09:08 PM

yea im thinking possibly MAF sensor as well, it could look fine, but still be damaged

TheManinDboX 10-08-2015 03:31 PM

What happens when you stomp on it.. Does it bog? Does it stall, does it make smoke, does it giggle like a school girl? You mention that it won't go over 2250 RPM but what does it do when you try to? Is this a stick or automatic?
How many Miles are on this car?
Has it been regularly serviced?
What was the last things serviced?

The MAF sensor might cause issue, but going over a certain RPM isn't one of them, i ran without an MAF sensor for about 2 years and 100K miles, without having an issue, other than a diminished MPG rating.
The Gas octane also doesn't make a difference in newer cars, the Timing advance is adjusted by your ECU, so adding in better fuel vs cheaper fuel should make zero difference to either performance, or fuel economy.. Frankly you are just tossing money away running anything other than 87 in a stock XA. The ECU change in timing is controlled electronically, if your timing is WAY off, you likely jumped a tooth on your Timing chain, in which case your engine is ruined since the engine is an interference engine and it would make some wicked noises when you started it, let alone at your 2250RPM.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
They are cheap, will cause random bogging, and can cause some other interesting issues when clogged.

Does the car burn oil?

Give us some more information..