Go Back  Scionlife.com > Scion xA > Scion xA Owners Lounge
Reload this Page >

Clicking wheel noise? Problem solved!

Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Clicking wheel noise? Problem solved!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Default Clicking wheel noise? Problem solved!

Been browsing this forum for a while, finally got around to posting.

I've owned my completely stock Xa for 100,000 miles of smooth, trouble-free ownership. Zero mechanical failures and no major issues. It's nice to be able to count on its reliability and not have to worry about repairs.

Recently I was concerned about some strange noises. It's the infamous clicking noise from the wheel area. I've noticed it in past, but never figured out the cause, until now. Well, the noise was starting to concern me after digging around on these posts and getting a variety of differing advice, everything from loose lug nuts, wheel bearings, rocks stuck in the tire treads, cv joints, suspension, etc. So, I decided to try to get to the bottom of my clicking noise…

Issue: A clicking sound coming from the wheel well area while driving near a median (the sound reflecting back and could hear it better) at speeds from around 5 to 40 mph. It would decrease when steering slightly to the right in my case, and return when steering to the left or heading straight. Does this sound familiar to you? I came across this same issue posted many times on this forum and was almost convinced that it might be more of a mechanical wear problem like wheel bearings or the cv joint.

Solution: I noticed one or two posters had success with removing just the wheel covers. Wheel covers?…could it really be that easy? Well, after removing the stock wheel covers the clicking was gone. Yes, that really did solve my issue. Also, the naked stock black steel wheel look is starting to grow on me.

So, if you are experiencing a similar clicking noise like many others here, try a simple test to rule out the cheapest and easiest solution before taking it in to the dealer or shop
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same problem and solution. however it is a ghetto solution.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after awhile wheel covers will click, its actually common on a lot of cars, the clips just get worn out after being taken on and off, and move around a bit. some electrical tape around the clips will take care of the problem a lot of times, if you really want them on
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

could have also had rocks in the covers
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Agreed, it isn't a real solution and it's a little ghetto.

Thanks for the tip on the clips. I would've done that if I had all the wheel covers, but I lost one a while back by hitting a pothole. I don't really care how the wheels look, I did when I first got the car but now...not so much.

Anyway, hope this info helps someone out there.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:28 PM

Default Simple fix for '05 xB also

I know this is an old thread but had same problem on my 2005 xB.

When I removed the left rear wheel cover one of the plastic tabs was cracked and flopping up and down. Pulled it off and popped the cover back on. Sound gone.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:56 AM

Hi my name is Alex but i go by Retroboymedia I'm ALL NEW to this. i shoot videos and photograph as a hobby my plans are to start a cinematography Company. But first I need to get myself known and show off my work. I own a Scion XA which I slowly have customize to my taste. And i love it. and see my work I am open for suggestions let me know what you think and don't forget to like and common Thank you!!

(1st Channel)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH5...mv1AOc_J8oR7ZQ

(My instagram)
https://www.instagram.com/retroboymedia/

Name:  SAM_0799.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  334.8 KB

Name:  SAM_0813.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  265.3 KB

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202016-06-28%20at%207.04.00%20PM.png
Views: 573