Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Fan suddenly stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Default Fan suddenly stopped working

My fan was fine yesterday...I could get heat, air conditioning, etc...but as of this morning it just all suddenly stopped working. Nothing comes out of the vents now. Can't get heat, air conditioning won't work, cool air won't work. Nothing. For the longest time my car would make a loud squealing sound if I turned on the vents, that's the only "sign" I can think of leading up to this.

Any ideas why two seperate air system swould suddenly stop at the exact same time?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Might be a bad belt, might be some sort of fuse issue, or in the worst case, it could be your A/C compressor entirely. Just take it in to a shop you trust and have them give you a quote. I had this problem with mine, but my car was also involved in a flood haha. Apparently it was a fuse issue with mine. I'm hoping it's something small with yours as well! Keep us updated.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sounds like the fan motor died, the squealing sound was the bearings going bad. A lot of times this is due to overheating, fan supplies air for both heat and airconditioning, and blower motor is cooled by the airflow. You can find the blower motor behind the glove box. It is just below the cabin air filter. A dirty filter can stop all airflow, and cooling for blower motor. This will make it harder for the fan to work / causing excess electric current demand by the blower motor and this will create cascading heat cycle that eventually will burnout the blower motor (if not changed or cleaned regularly).
Good luck.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

on a side note: when you operate the heating/airconditioner in the recirculate mode the cabin air filter is bypassed and will allow normal air flow in the event the cabin air filter is dirty or blocked with debris/dirt.
Just sayin,,,