Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

HELP! xA fan becomes Fit convert might become xA owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member

Default HELP! xA fan becomes Fit convert might become xA owner

So my original plan was, get the xA. No big deal right? Well my credit was mediocre when the xA launched, so I couldn't. Fast forward to 2006, my credit is golden now but I'm not a fan of the 06 xA's bumpers.

I test drive all the vehicles in that price segment, and I fall in love with the Fit. I'm 23, and 6'1, and that thing is comfy. Let me tell you, the 5spd auto in that thing is magical. xA dosen't offer a 5spd auto. I'm only buying an auto if I can get one just as fun as a manual, and the Fit's 5spd auto is right on. So I put my money down, and a few days later the dealer calls me and tells me that I can't get a Fit Sport 5-auto in red until August!

Fit August
xA One week

xAmt 12.8k
xAat 13.6k
fit sport mt 15.1k
fit sport at 16k

So my dillema is, since I can't get the Fit with the 5-auto (which was the #1 reason I was going to get the fit) I might as well get the MT xA. I will not get a Fit MT, hands down. And the scion will save me 3k. My scion dealer patrick in louisville ky told me he could get me one in a week.

Input please?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can save 3k with a car you do indeed like, I'd say get it! You can't see the bumpers from the driver's seat...

However, you could get a body kit with your savings....
Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'd get the xA just to get something different

I bet in a few years Fits will be all over the place...the xA still is (and prolly always will be) a minority...which I think is kinda cool
Old 05-02-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I would get the xA because I would buy a Toyota over a Honda any day.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked out the Fit last week and it's ok. It's definitely one-on-one competition with the xA. The looks of it were ok, but nothing spectacular.

What I like:
The AT has paddle shifters.
Slightly more cargo space than the xA.
The rear seats can be flipped up, although I don't see much use for it.

What I don't:
The engine bay is tiny and full. Not much room for upgrades (I know they're out there though)
The seats were crap. They're entirely made of memory foam and have no bolsters. I envision the cushions being flat and worn in two years. And I LITERALLY balled the headrest up in my hand.
No rear legroom, similar to the xA (that's why I love the xB)
The base model is very basic, and the only one worth getting is the Sport model.

I like the new xA, and would choose it personally. But if you don't get what you really want, you'll never be satisfied.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WagenMaster
Slightly more cargo space than the xA.
The Fit has 45.9% more cu. ft of boot space. With the seats down, the Fit has 21.7% more cu. ft. That's quite impressive.

What I don't:
The engine bay is tiny and full. Not much room for upgrades (I know they're out there though)
Let's see, I have seen multiple k20s shoehorned in, as well as a B series (either a b16/b1 in the Fit engine bay. It can be done, as you noted.

The base model is very basic, and the only one worth getting is the Sport model.
The base Fit is very similar in configuration to the xA. When compared to Fit Base, the xA has 2 tweeters, an mp3 capable headunit, and side mirror turn signals. Its kind of even when you consider that the Fit base comes with side/side curtain airbags, a classier interior, and the magic seats.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^SOMBODY'S^ a bit biased... I think the base fit looks like crap, in my eyes the base fit is incredibly ugly and not even comparable with the xA in terms of looks. No way is the Fit "classier" than the xA. The Fit sport in black looks more or less ok, still has a van shape but base to me is just plain ugly. 21.7% more cargo space is NOT impressive at all considering the xA's cargo area is tiny to begin with so 21% of it is still nothing. I would bite back more about how the xA is (IMO) a much better deal and car in general but I'm not gonna go into a battle like this simply because I havn't researched the Fit very much, farthest I've went with it was the "build your fit" thing on the Honda site. Personally, I'd buy a Toyota over a Honda any day... And 13k vs 16k is seriously not worth the lousy 21.7% of extra cargo space and paddle shifters on an auto, if you want to shift buy a manual.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont forget the test drive the Yaris, it's neat!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think the Yaris is on his list of cars cuz it's not a 4 door hatch like the xA and Fit are, but I agree, it is a nice car and definatley worth checking out while at the Toyota dealership.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or

In my opinion, the choice is clear.
Personally, the wheels are way to small on the fit. And the back end is straight off the Pontiac Aztec.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive not driven a Fit. Are they slow? And I wonder what kind of real mpgs.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to mention the Fit is almost as ugly as that pos Chevy Aveo, go with something that has body lines and style. If anything, find a used 03-05 and get a bodykit.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spawnconnery
Ive not driven a Fit. Are they slow? And I wonder what kind of real mpgs.
Actually, the performance and fuel efficiency isnt too bad, according to the instrumented tests done by C&D.

0-60mph: 8.7 sec
1/4 mile @mph: 16.7@81mph
70-0mph: 169 feet
C&D 1000 mile Test loop (should be indicative of real world mpg): 35 mpg

Source:
http://automobiles.honda.com/images/...141_eprint.pdf
Old 05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iyzmi
^SOMBODY'S^ a bit biased...
Sure, call me biased. I dont own either xA or Fit. It sounds like you're the biased one when you say:

Personally, I'd buy a Toyota over a Honda any day...
No way is the Fit "classier" than the xA.
Read what I said. The Fit interior is in my opinion "classier" than the xA interior. Again, ask random people which interior looks better, I bet they will say the Fit interior.

Exterior looks are subjective. I won't argue with you there. If you say one looks better than another, so be it. That's fine with me.

I would bite back more about how the xA is (IMO) a much better deal and car in general but I'm not gonna go into a battle like this simply because I havn't researched the Fit very much, farthest I've went with it was the "build your fit" thing on the Honda site.
So basically you're claiming that you're ignorant on this topic. So why bother to post if you havent done the research?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just buy a classic mopar great car to work and learn on
Old 05-02-2006, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally I don't like the Fit, and think the xA is great. The Fit looks oddly proportioned IMO. However...I would never settle for a car because of its availability. If you really like the Fit, and get an xA, you might regret later that you didn't wait.

So...if you love the xA, get an xA. But if you don't LOVE it, or you love the Fit MORE, you should wait and get a Fit.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by corey415
^SOMBODY'S^ a bit biased...
Sure, call me biased. I dont own either xA or Fit. It sounds like you're the biased one when you say:

Personally, I'd buy a Toyota over a Honda any day...
No way is the Fit "classier" than the xA.
Read what I said. The Fit interior is in my opinion "classier" than the xA interior. Again, ask random people which interior looks better, I bet they will say the Fit interior.

Exterior looks are subjective. I won't argue with you there. If you say one looks better than another, so be it. That's fine with me.

I would bite back more about how the xA is (IMO) a much better deal and car in general but I'm not gonna go into a battle like this simply because I havn't researched the Fit very much, farthest I've went with it was the "build your fit" thing on the Honda site.
So basically you're claiming that you're ignorant on this topic. So why bother to post if you havent done the research?
Let me start by saying I too don't own either one, infact I've never even owned a Toyota OR Honda before.... I am "biased" because in my opinion the xA is clearly a better car.

Sorry I missread your post, I thought you were saying the Fit's exterior was classier, my bad.

I am claiming is that I went far enogh to check out the Fit and some details about it online but was not interested enough to continue my research, therefore I will not argue any more than I know to be true about the Fit. I never said that I have done NO reasearch. Would you have preffered it if I made up BS facts to respond to your comments? No, so therefore I based my comment on what I know and included that line which states I will not debate farther about a topic which I do not have much knowledge about. Please do not strecth my comments.

And BTW, the majority of the opinions from a Scion forum will be biased toward Scions... Post the exact same thing on a Fit board and you will get the opposite. Buy what you like and will be happy with. Just because one dealer said it will take till auguest to get a Fit, dosen't meen another dealer will say the same, shop around.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the Fit and I own a Scion xA, but I wouldn't trade it in for one.

The interior of the fit looks classy, but it's very bland and utilitarian, much like the outside of the car.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member

How badly do you need a new car? Is your current ride falling apart, unsafe, costing too much in upkeep and repairs, driving you into debt keeping it in fuel? If any or all of these apply, get the xA, and keep the Fit in mind for later on down the road (your next car after the xA). If none apply, and you can afford to wait until August, get the Fit. It sounds like you like each car nearly equally, so either one would be suitable...just need to review your current transportation situation!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tikiguy
How badly do you need a new car? Is your current ride falling apart, unsafe, costing too much in upkeep and repairs, driving you into debt?
My car is just fine. 01 Dodge Neon. My mom's car isn't. 93 Chevy Cavalier falling apart at the seams. I'm giving her the neon, and getting a new car for myself.

Well, I decided on the xA. After Tom Duckworth from Scion of Louisville worked out all the numbers, I'm looking at 325 a month for the xA AT, and the Fit Sport AT was going to run 375 a month. I have no idea how the fit ran up that much, but hey, cheaper is better for me.

The thing I'm concerned about is the Document fees. What the hell are these? Edmunds and every other site say they're a rip.

13,580 xA AT
540 Delivery, Processing, Handling
120 Floor and Cargo Mats
260 Pioneer Deck + iPod Capability

14,500 TOTAL
783 Tax
499 Document Fees
26 Licenceing Fees

15,808 Out The Door

It looks like I'm paying 499 for nothing on those Document fees. What the hell happined to Pure Price? Any advice? I'm calling Scion HQ customer service's 800 number to see if they can provide input before I sign anything.

Quick Reply: HELP! xA fan becomes Fit convert might become xA owner