Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Present Scion-tist, Possible xA Newbie here

Hello xA folks,

Long story short, my experiences with an xB have been less than fortunate. Regardless of having an accident on the records, and a modification on the hatch (shaved wiper), I plan on trading it in for what will probably end up being an xA. Aside from trying to save a little money, I just have a bad taste in my mouth with xBs stemming from the bad luck I've had with my box. Hopefully the dealership will be merciful when giving me a trade in value on it, but that's another concern for another day.

So I post here hoping to tap into the knowledge and experience of you xA kings. Is there anything I should know about the xA as opposed to the xB? Anything I should get at the dealership before pick up? I have a set of 16x7" Enkeis, 38mm offset, with 205/50 tires, how will they look? What's a good offset for an xA? (Didn't see any specifics on the Tread FAQ) Who wants to donate money to me?

Sorry if this is the 10,000th thread like this posted here, but I'm a bit overwhelmed. I also have a new xB exhaust system in which I have a limited time to send back for an xA one should I make the decision. D'oh! If it's too broad, just slap me around and close the thread. Otherwise, thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member

Default Very helpful website for Scion info.

Welcome to the site! Don't worry about asking away with your questions. You will find an answer to every question you come up with here at this website. I, too, am considering an xA for purchase. I am currently driving a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 that is really performing like a champ and making a trade seem unnecessary. So, what I am saying is come here and ask, or do a search, and you will find answers to your questions. From what I can see this xA is a great value and the RS 2.0 that I am considering buying is a great looking rig(as is the RS 1.0)and will perform well for you.

Were you wondering about gas mileage? I am, too. Motor Trend's xA gave them around 30mpg in their mid-California romp at 85mph down the expressway. That is great gas mileage and I wonder if I could do even better with my RS 2.0.

Welcome again to the site!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've been a member of the forums for over a year, but thanks anyways for the welcome! :D

I'm pretty sure the gas mileage will be similar to the xB, which was great for me. Usually around 29-30 mpg in everyday driving. I believe the EPA gives the xA better highway mileage ratings.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, so many questions! Well, you've come to the right place so I'll give you guys a hand :D

The xB and xA share many similarities, Same engine, transmission, drivetrain. In a way, they are both like twins with only small differences such as:

Interior room - The xB clearly dominates in this area, it's cavernous! Though while the xA has less interior space, it still is ranked one of the best in it's class and can haul some serious cargo.

Style and design - the xB is boxy, the xA looks like an egg, simple?

Drivetrain - The xB comes standard with traction control, the xA doesn't (unless you get the RS 1.0)

Fuel consumption - The xA is slightly more aerodynamic so it edges out in this one, but if you're doing mostly city driving there isn't much of a difference. The xA is also 50lbs lighter if that actually matters.

Price - The xA is around 2-3k cheaper.

The wheels will fit nicely on the xA. A good offset is around 40-38 for the front and 38 for the back. A set of 10mm shims or spacers in the back will fill it in nicely since the xA rear fenders stick out quite a bit.

Recommended first mod for the car is a set of drop springs to lower the center of gravity for handling and replace the stock tires (horrible grip on wet). Try not to add options to the xA at the time of purchase, especially if your financing. They options they offer are very pricey and can be found elsewhere for half the cost.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If I happen to come across an xA RS 2.0, will that have traction control? If not, is that an option?

Also, as much as I'd like to drop any Scion, doing so in central New England usually isn't a very wise idea. *

Thanks M-Flo.

edit: * unless the xA has higher ground clearance. The specs say no, but I don't know if that includes the body kits they throw on there.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

Default Lowering it

I'd advise against lowering it if you're gonna be driving a lot in snow. I'm moving to a place(Pierre, SD)that can get a lot of snow, too. If I get an xA RS 2.0 I will definitely leave it at stock height.

The stock tires are from what brand, guys? Are they really worthless in wet weather, or not that bad?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Lowering it

Originally Posted by xaPierre
The stock tires are from what brand, guys? Are they really worthless in wet weather, or not that bad?
Depends on the dealer. The dealer I got my box from slapped Goodyears on it. I used them for winter driving and they worked well.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member

Default Tires

I'll check them out at Billion Scion in Sioux Falls, SD. That is where I'll be buying at. I'll get some good tires put on the xA RS 2.0 right away if the stock ones are worthless. No sense wasting any time with them when the xA should handle like a champ, eh?

The Sonics are 2-2 now vs. the SAS! Whoo-hoo! Game 5 in SA will be the pivotal game of the series.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow a fellow New Hampshire Scion-tist. Cool!

I have had my xA RS2 on order for the last 2 weeks now and I'm getting really lonely with out it.

To answer your questions about traction control for the RS2 that is a no and sadly, it is not available as an option.

I already have a list of things going for my RS2 and at the moment I'm trying to get my hands on a set of 16 x 7, 7 spoke Bronze ADR wheels.

Dark blue cars + Bronze wheels = Uber Sexy!!

The xA was a more practical car for me and I like the overall image of it as well. the RS2.0 package add some nice things over the stock xA. One of the best, being the interior colors. The black and blue fabrics on the seats in very nice.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hey neat, what part of New Hampshire?

Anyways, I'm not so sure traction control was a huge factor anyways... I've driven the xB with and without tract on and I didn't notice a difference. Maybe it's a snow thing, I don't know.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

if there is an xa rs 1.0 still available around you, pick one of those up instead. much nicer package, much bigger bang for the buck....
Old 05-17-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by The Zeeness
Hey neat, what part of New Hampshire?

Anyways, I'm not so sure traction control was a huge factor anyways... I've driven the xB with and without tract on and I didn't notice a difference. Maybe it's a snow thing, I don't know.
I'm in the located in the Rochester area.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You cant really notice the diff in every day driving (with or w/o VSC/TSC)

TSC helps when you're accelrating. VSC helps to keep your brake's at "even level" when you're braking hard.

I wanna get RS2.0 too. but Im not going to call them, I want them to call me so I can get a lower price :D
Old 05-17-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by xA RS ChickLA
if there is an xa rs 1.0 still available around you, pick one of those up instead. much nicer package, much bigger bang for the buck....
I doubt I'll even be able to find one... I hear the RS2 is hard enough to get around these parts. I can't find the product page on Scion's site any more

edit: nevermind, found it!

Now you guys have me thinking of the RS1... any idea of what the offset and width of those wheels are?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have both...I find there is, natch, a difference in the driving of both...here is what I think would make the xA better right out of the lot.
New rims. The stock ones stink.
I know you don't want to lower it, but I have found, with the stock height of the Egg, it does indeed handle not as well as the stock height of the Box. Now, my Box has been lowered on TRD springs, and it's great.
I am going to do this to my Egg.

The rear seat room in the Egg is far less, really, the Box. But, my brother, who rides around in the back, says that the leg room is still very good.

I find the gas mileage about the same for both (5 spd in Box; auto in Egg), around town. On the highway, the Egg is far better, since, well, it's obvious.

I have also noticed, that when driving the Box, more stares and questions from complete strangers. Not nearly as many when I drive the Egg.

The stereo, stock, is better in the Egg, then the Box. That may be due to the speakers in the Egg being in the rear doors, as opposed to them being in the rear 'trunk' area for the Box.

Um, oh yeah. Since you have driven a Box, one thing you will notice right away, and I mean right away, is the way lower headroom in the front in the Egg. And the windshield, since it is so angled in the Egg, kinda takes a moment or two to get used to. This may seem odd, but I noticed it right away.

I like the speedo better in the Box, but I like the larger tach in the Egg.

As far as get up and go, the Box is great, since it's a 5 spd. But the auto xA, is fairly decent.

Both cars have their + and - of course. But one thing they both share is that they are SCIONS and therefore, not the normal car on the road.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TJandBOXCARWILLIE
Are you talking about the RS1 rims or just xA stock wheels in general?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the stock steely rims and not the 17 inch Enkeis that come on the RS1 which are pretty tight for OEM rims.

As far as stares go, I get them a lot too. In fact, if I break down the occurances in which people confront me about my car....

10% Say, "Hey is this that limited edition Scion xA?"
20% Say, "This one of them Sky-Ons?"
30% Say, "Is this a Mini Cooper?"
50% Say "That looks a lot like a Mini Cooper."
Old 05-18-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Alright guys, thanks so much for your help. I'll probably be ordering an xA RS2.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Steel wheels. Which, can be alright, if you leave the fugly covers off them ( I have seen that done...) But yeah, I am not a huge fan of the steel wheels.