Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Replace aftermarket key fob with Scion key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replace aftermarket key fob with Scion key fob?

I bought my '05 XA a couple of weeks ago, and it came with some aftermarket key fob for keyless entry.

What I need to know is, can I replace this key fob with a smaller Scion key fob?

I searched through the RKE threads, but can't get a grasp on if this is possible or not.

TIA
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM

is it a factory system? if so, have a dealership program a new remote.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's part of the problem. I can't figure out if it's factory or aftermarket.
I can't find anything at all about it, although I've looked all throughout the car.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look under the dash panel near the steering wheel coloumn. When I and most others install them, that is where the brain would be installed. Usually a 4"X4" black box with a buncha wires going into it. That would show that it is aftermarket if the black box is there.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same question too, but mine is some random aftermarket keyless entry system call Chapman...I'd take a look tomorrow to see what's really the security system.

What I'm trying to do is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GiES-Flip-Remote-Key-Case-for-HYUNDAI-ELANTRA-2007-2008_W0QQitemZ280365868694QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item41471ba696&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A1|39%3A1|72%3A1171

I was wondering if the Scion xA keyless remote chipboard would fit into this shell. The remote I'm using is this really ugly Chapman remote control and I'd like to start doing some mods.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm looking all over, including under the dash near the steering wheel column, but I can't find anything at all about what kind of system is in there.

The key fob itself says "autopager" on it, if that means anything.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The aftermarket keyless system in my car really sucks.

http://www.brandsport.com/toy-08586-52973.html

Would this be the OEM retail system? Or is it just the remote controls? Sorry if these questions are redundant, but I can't seem to find my answer through search button.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stealthealien

Would this be the OEM retail system? Or is it just the remote controls? Sorry if these questions are redundant, but I can't seem to find my answer through search button.
Your link says it is the Toyota brand system. Although I am not familiar with what the factory installs but remember the dealer does a lotta installations on these cars since they come in stripped mostly. On Ronna's xA, she wanted the "factory" cruise control and the dealer installed one instead. The difference being, one from the factory has controls on the steering wheel and the dealer installed one has that stupid stalk on the side of the steering coloumn where you can't see it when you are driving. You might wanna call the original dealer it was sold from and give them the VIN number and they can do a search on how it came into them and what was installed by them if anything was.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by STEELBREEZE

Your link says it is the Toyota brand system. Although I am not familiar with what the factory installs but remember the dealer does a lotta installations on these cars since they come in stripped mostly. On Ronna's xA, she wanted the "factory" cruise control and the dealer installed one instead. The difference being, one from the factory has controls on the steering wheel and the dealer installed one has that stupid stalk on the side of the steering coloumn where you can't see it when you are driving. You might wanna call the original dealer it was sold from and give them the VIN number and they can do a search on how it came into them and what was installed by them if anything was.
I read your post a few times, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the cruise control.

I just want a retail scion keyless system instead of the crappy aftermarket system that came with my used Scion. All I know is the previous owner installed the keyless system in august and it's crap so I want to swap it out with an OEM, but I just can't find a place that sell the OEM keyless entry system with a decent price.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just can't find a place that sell the OEM keyless entry system with a decent price.
Hence why the previous owner went the aftermarket route.
Cruise control was just an example of a dealer installed option. I didn't know that you knew in fact that the previous owner installed the unit.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM

bring it to a toyota service center and they will tell you. if it's their's you can start the process of programming a scion remote. if it's just KE and not an alarm, i'd guess it's aftermarket; but the service techs can tell you for sure.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK this is weird - I am reading this thread and the ad at the bottom is OriginalKeyless.com Factory Original Keyless Entry Remotes up to 90% OFF!

Sounds like you have a keyless Paging alarm system in your xA . . . Factory door controller in an xB is to the left of the Speedo under the dash up high.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the ecu for the OEM alarm you can some what see its behing the glove box to the left

http://scionlife.org/Scion_Docs/2004...20Security.pdf

look at page 17 and you'll see where its at