2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Scion xA Blower Fan Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion xA Blower Fan Problems

Hey Guys,
I am writing again about the fan problem in my 2004 xA.
Before it only worked on high speed and sometimes never even worked on high speed and so I had to tap couple of times on the ECM under the glove box to make it work on even the high speed.
I went ahead and replaced the resistor last week and now its working on all 4 speeds but sometime when I turn the fan on from the off position it never starts on any speed and I have to tap couple
of times on the ECM to make it work. But when it works its working on all 4 speeds now rather than only on high as it was before changing the resistor.
I have no clue what is wrong, I thought if I changed the resistor than I won't have to tap on the ECM again.

Any ideas what it may be?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-20-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member

I had a similar problem with my fan not working consistently. My resistor was good and it would work with a wiggle. I ended up taking out the whole blower motor and cleaning it with CRC electric cleaner. I also threw in a cabin filter that was absent and It has worked perfectly since. I suspect the blower motor's contacts got gunked up without the cabin filter.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I changed the resistor I also put in a new cabin filter but I am still having this problem. So I guess my next step would be to take out the whole blower motor and clean it like you did and see what happens. Any link or any video how to take out the blower motor to clean it?
Thank for your help!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by slammvp
When I changed the resistor I also put in a new cabin filter but I am still having this problem. So I guess my next step would be to take out the whole blower motor and clean it like you did and see what happens. Any link or any video how to take out the blower motor to clean it?
Thank for your help!
I didn't take any pictures, sorry. It is a b##h to get out too. I used the diagram from the manual that used to be on here, but it's gone now. It turns out my library has car manuals on line, maybe check out yous. Off the top of my head;
Remove the glove box
Remove the ecu cover
Unplug the harnesses
Remove the ecu.
I ended up removing the passenger seat to make room for myself to get under the dash.
Unplugged and removed resistor for some space
Some screws and clips on the big white box.
There are three screws holding in the blower motor. Unplug it wiggle it a lot and it comes out.
PITA!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member

What do you know!? For s#!ts and giggles I logged on to my library's site to see if I could download the pdf. Sure nuff!
Corona Public Library (but you need to log on with your library card, hopefully other libraries have this too)
Online resources
Auto repairs

I don't know how to post it here, but pm me your email and I can email the pdf. The first two pages shows you what your up against.