Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Shocks and Springs question, whats the verdict?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Shocks and Springs question, whats the verdict?

I have been on the fence about upgrading the suspension on my 06 xa. I drive a lot on the interstate and back roads of VA. I64, I95, I295 and 195. Lots of unevan pavement, spotty patch work on the interstates, then sound rolling bouncy back roads in rural VA.

Anyway, seems the car is the reverse of what I want. Its too bouncy on the back roads and when it comes to the gaps in the pavement, patch work, etc its a sharp jarring feeling.

I had thought about the trd springs, but not sure I want it any firmer even if 10 percent, but could be tha tlowering it makes it handle a bit better. Shocks seem like a better route, but seems there is a limited option, short of the new ad I saw for tein in a magazine about being able to adjust the shocks by a digital control box.

Then there is the air option and likely wise I hear it gives a great ride or too firm of a ride, maybe the users I speak too do not have it adjusted properly?

Any help here?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it depends on how much you are willing to spend, though based on the options you are considering am I to understand that money isn't really an option?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:52 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't get the trd springs if you want a drop thats about the same as trds but softer go with tanabe NF210's
Old 01-06-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work for a bank, ha, ha. I want a softer ride along the interstate and firmer along the back roads. Just the reverse of it now. I guess 1200 bucks is the limit for springs and struts, guessing more for air. Would air do it?

210s? But springs is only one part, right? The shocks control the bouncyness or lack their of, the springs just hold the car off the road, right?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should be able to get a good coil-over set up for $900ish. Are you going to have someone else do the install ? If so = another $300ish . Total then, would be $1200. Then, that way you can adjust the ride height(usualy w/ coil-overs they go from about 1.5- 2.5" range).

Hope this helps,
-Adam
PS... if your simply wanting to do spings + struts/shocks , I'd recommend Eibach Pros (1.5" drop... not super agressive, but enough.... and would still be a safe right height given what you described previous road conditions) + a good shock kit (Tokico HP , KYB premium level stuff , or maybe look into H&R). Total springs($200)/ Struts($250)/install($250ish) = $650 done well. Also w/ Eibach springs = you can use your stock struts/shocks w/ those springs, and really wont affect ride quality much at all. However , since your already in there replacing the springs... its no charge for a tire/suspension shop to also install new shocks.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't really think you can have it both ways.

the stock suspension is soft and made for comfort. and the short wheelbase also contributes to some of the ride discomfort on the interstate.

now look, upgrading my shocks and springs really didn't effect the ride on my tc too much on the interstate. just handles along the bends and on and off-ramps alot better.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have an 06 xA and hit the interstate and back roads a lot. I installed Monroe Senstrac shocks in the rear, and NF210s, and the ride is much better all around (not to mention the better look, the NF210s do a nice job of evening out the gap in the wheel well around the tire). Its nothing like the grandpamobile buick I was used to before the xA, but it is a noticeably better ride. Not as snappy/jarring over pavement gaps.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, i64 and i295 near Richmond are horrible roads to drive on. Constantly spotty patch/pot hold fill work. Its like driving down a road of cobble stones or ladders.

I got the hotskis(SP?) sway bars, going the end link upgrade this weekend. World of difference in curves and cornering.

I am mixed on lowering it. I like to maybe drop it an inch, yet keep it from feeling like a little red wagon. Second, if I pick up the groceries for the folks, I do not ride the bump stops all the way. I had hte rear end rather low one day after 300 bucks of food from sams club. I was filling hte car through the rear windows to get everything to fit. One reason I was tempting the trd springs. They will match my red bars and a slight drop, yet claim to be a bit firmer to make up for carry capacity to keep from bottoming out..

The shocks I am mixed on, I do not doubt the monroe shocks ride better, but I know those from my past experience as a mechanic go out about the same time tires need changing.

Basically I want to get both springs and shocks so I can get both springs and shocks at one sweep. Better yet, maybe find the front struts preasebled and just swap them out.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So are you saying from your past experience that monroe shocks only last a few thousand miles? I read almost every thread on this forum about the senstracs before I bought them and thats the first I've heard of that. What should I look for to tell that they need to be replaced?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
The shocks I am mixed on, I do not doubt the monroe shocks ride better, but I know those from my past experience as a mechanic go out about the same time tires need changing.

No, he is saying that Monroe's last about as long as tires last = typically 30-40K miles , give or take.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trd springs are fine. all the roads around here are crap and im doing great with them.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the cheaper monroe shocks in my experience go out in about 30-40thousand miles. THey just start to leak out the fluids. THe bump stop and boot accessory helps the strut mounted one, the rears there is not much hope.

I wonder how the reflexatrac works since its an updated design of the sensatrac design?

Sure I am game, its not like its that hard to do either if its a cheap upgrade.

Tempting to go the trd spring route. I Have to cart my parents and their 2 walkers to the hospital 35 days across about 7 weeks about 100 miles and hate to have it bottom out with a combine weight of about 900 lbs.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
I had hte rear end rather low one day after 300 bucks of food from sams club. I was filling hte car through the rear windows to get everything to fit. One reason I was tempting the trd springs. They will match my red bars and a slight drop, yet claim to be a bit firmer to make up for carry capacity to keep from bottoming out..
Aren't TRD springs = white in color , not red.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Just update the strut and shocks with Monroes and keep the TRDs. You will love the ride then.