Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-owners-lounge-1603/)
-   -   Is the tC and xA a Sports car? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-owners-lounge-1603/tc-xa-sports-car-44565/)

Demetri 01-08-2006 02:30 AM

Is the tC and xA a Sports car?

Yea, I'm saving up for either a tC or a xA, but since I got into a crash without my license and no proof of insurance, my insurance is going to rise.

I don't think the xA is a sports car but I don't know about tC.

____

lalagimp 01-08-2006 02:39 AM

neither is a sports car, but it depends on how it's labeled.
Plenty of things are mislabeled all the time because that's the representation of other people.

The tC have nothing more under the hood than a Camry- it's the same car .

There are so many people under the impression that they purchased a sports car that it's ridiculous.

However- with lots of aftermarket stuff you can make it a bit more dangerous.

Demetri 01-08-2006 03:54 AM

Would a tC with a turbo beat a xA with turbo???

Which car would outperform which in the long run?

____

iyzmi 01-08-2006 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Demetri
Would a TC with a turbo beat a XA with turbo?????? Which car would outperform which in the long run?

Yes, A tC with a turbo would obiously outperform an xA with a turbo cuz the tC has more power to start with. Both cars are definatley NOT sports cars.

Spr0ket 01-08-2006 08:18 AM

In most states, two door cars are considered sports cars regardless of how much power they have under the hood. I had a Honda CRX HF (the real wimpy engine) and paid sports car priced insurance. A friend of mine drive a Ford Focus ZX3 base model, the insurance company has him insured for a sports car.

Your best bet, get a VIN number from a tC and an xA and talk with your insurance agency about price of coverage. If you don't have insurance, grab a quote from one of those online places.

Demetri 01-08-2006 06:10 PM

So I'm guessing the power to weight ratio is better with the tC?

Also doesn't the tC have a higher steering ratio?

_____

Jessman360 01-08-2006 08:39 PM

The insurance for the xA will be cheaper

Demetri 01-09-2006 12:27 AM

I just got a quote and the xA is ten bucks cheaper. This is from Geico.

______

willmw 01-09-2006 02:19 AM

We've got an '05 tC and an '06 xA. I think the xA is a tiny bit cheaper, but not by much.

Yoshiofthewire 01-09-2006 03:58 PM

Progressive says

The xA is considered a Station Wagon.
Not like it matters

edxa 01-10-2006 07:39 AM

State Farm lists the xA as a station wagon.

gookgeek 01-17-2006 11:55 PM

^^^ State Farm!!! Ack!!!

BCP xA = **RED** station wagon

dexter_5000 01-18-2006 06:58 PM

That's messed up it should be considered a 5 door hatch in my opinion but its usually listed as a 4 door sedan.

The xB is listed as a wagon though from everything I've seen.

______

mr_valentine 01-21-2006 01:02 AM

There's a difference between a sports car and a sporty car. the tC is a sporty car.

And here's my own definition of the two:

Sporty cars are economy cars but still have the basis of performing (ie: Scion tC, Honda Civic Si, Toyota Celica, Acura RSX, Toyota MR2, Pontiac Solstice, Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V, VW Golf GTi, etc....)

Sports cars are cars leaning more towards performance. (ie: Subaru WRX-STi, Acura NSX, Nissan 350Z, Mitsubishi Evolution, etc...)

_______

SciontCya 01-21-2006 01:27 AM

AAA and I pay $800 a year for full coverage - but I don't know my limits off-hand.
tC appears to be considered nothing sporty...

Scott

TheQuietThings 01-25-2006 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Demetri
So Im guessing the power to weight ratio is better with the TC?Also doesn't the TC have a higher steering ratio?

i'm not sure on the power to weight ratio, but the reason why the tC is faster than the xA is because of the tC's shorter gear ratios, and having a lot of low end torque. However, the tC falls flat on its face after 2nd gear, unless of course there is some sort of forced induction.

As for the steering ratio... i can't answer with technical numbers, but the tC does handle excellent at normal speeds, and tends to roll at high speeds.

PupSocket 03-14-2006 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by lalagimp
There are so many people under the impression that they purchased a sports car that it's ridiculous.

And if they drive it like a sports car, the incidents will quickly make it a sports car as far as insurance rates go.

From reading this board, I hope the xA doesn't enter this realm. At least having a good record, being married, and not young = good rates. ;)

M-Flo 03-14-2006 11:56 PM

The xA isn't a sports car, and for one I am glad it's seen that way~ At the very least it will deter the immature drivers from ruining the car in a street race and drive up insurance up the wazoo~ I only pay 850 a year for full coverage vs. 1200 for a tC.

The tC, on the other hand will probably suffer the same fate as the Civic. While it isn't a sports car, people will want to label it that way to cover for the fact that they're modifying a disguised Camry :lalala:

GrantR 03-15-2006 02:05 PM

My 2003 corvette Z06 only costs $50 more per year to insure than my 2006 xA. Where's a "wtf" emoticon when you need one?

lalagimp 03-15-2006 06:40 PM

part of the insurance costs is where insurance had trends they watch to know what the claims look like and how much damage is done to the vehicle in case of accident, and I was told that sometimes newer released vehicles take a while to get a decent insurance rating to them.

However- this is a fairly cheap vehicle, and more often I've seen- they end up being totalled after an accident and that there are alot of reports of vandalism to Scions.

I'd believe it.