Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

What don't you like about your xA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's f*cking slow. The notchy shifter gets annoying, too, but damn this thing is slow. If I didn't have the Integra I think I'd go insane driving it

Also, I see no benefitting reason as to why going 70mph in 5th brings you to 4000rpms. Seems like a real waste of gas to me. a longer 4th and 5th gear would be wonderful...but would probably make the damn thing even slower.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team N.V.S.

The high RPMS 75mph at 3500rpms (there goes my MPG)
how about an extra gear LOL?

The arm rest would be nice...

Fog lights should be able to turn on with out head lights (thats a Toyota thing)

other than that Im ok with the rest...
Old 11-30-2004, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

The things I don't like about my egg:

1. In the rain it feels like my car is a bumper car with all the sliding when I turn
2. Needs an extra gear so that the highway doesn't negatively effect my gas mileage
3. When I use my brakes in the rain, it feels like the car is going to break in half at the front end.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love my car, but in the rain, it is some kind of accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The shifter sucks. They should have used teflon shift cable housings like Honda does to make it smooth.

An armrest would be nice.

The tires suck ___ and its mad drifting time in the rain yo. I'm getting some Kumhos in the spring to fix this problem.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, mine has a lot of upgrades, so I had to think a while to come up with something I don't like about it.

Then I remembered that the hood rattles when you are in gear, stopped at a traffic light, with the foot on the brake. We can't figure out how to make it stop. (It does not rattle in neutral.)

I guess I would have to agree that more horsepower would be nice. However, the downside is that I sacrificed 14 mpg to increase the horsepower like I did. Instead of getting 38 mpg, I only get 24. :oops:
Old 12-01-2004, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What did you do to lose that much gas mileage? How much power did you increase it by?
Also while I can't say doing 80mph at 3,800 rpms is odd (ever driven a 2.0 Golf?), what is the gas mileage at that speed? Most of my driving is a constant excelleration from 0 to 45, then 45 to 60 then 60 to 0 repeat. Thats what a country road gets you. As a result I get around 23-24mpg in a 2.0 automatic Golf. This translates to..

550 miles a week at 23mpg, 23 gallons at 1.95, $44.85.
If the Scion, under this conditions with an auto manages 30mpg,
550 miles a week at 30mpg, 18 gallons at 1.95, $35.10, savings of $10 a week, $40 a month, and $480 a year. Over three years $1,440. Almost makes it worth switching to a Scion because I can remove that from teh cost of ownership ($14,000-$1,440, real cost $12,560)
Old 12-01-2004, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, when you do the long-term math, a little gain in milage can make a big difference. When I first started looking into small econo cars, I was interested in two different Suzuki models (Reno and Forenza). Both nice cars for the money and each has a great warranty. The killer was the gas milage. They are only rated at 22/30! That sucks for a small car like that. The Scion xA's rating of 32/37 is 24% better. That's substantial.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

I love my car, but there would be few things i would add:

1) arm rest
2)factory cruse control
3)variable intermittent wind shield wiper controls
4)hard plastic liner for the trunk and back of my rear sets
Old 12-31-2004, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Some of the things I don't like about my '04 xA....

(1) Weak AC--it's just not up to 100 degree Southern California summers. I hear that not all xAs are so problematic, tho. My partner's Ford Focus will freeze you in 100+ degree heat, but then again, he has to drive a Focus. Also, my windows aren't tinted yet, and I think that might make some difference.

(2) No maplights--If you want to see anything at night, such as if you want to switch CDs, you'd have to turn on the domelight. Fortunately, one of my Xmas presents was the auto-dimming mirror, which has rectified that issue with its features.

(3) Many controls are not lit when using headlights, such as the mirrors, locks, and most of the windows. Also, as is the case in many cars now, there's no light in the glovebox. The maplight from my new mirror would probably help that issue, tho.

(4) Not enough HP. Of course, my previous car was a '91 Acura Legend LE, so that probably causes some bias.

(5) Variable speed on the intermittant wipers would be nice, but I usually just use the Mist feature if I have to use wipers more slowly than the intermittant allows.

(6) Suspension can be a bit too firm, especially on our poorly maintained California freeways.

But there are many things I love about this car...

(1) Great gas mileage
(2) Easy to parallel park and fit in compact spaces
(3) Good steering (especially in comparison to our Focus)
(4) Personality/the "unique" factor
(5) Power windows and locks are a good thing, especially the autodown on the driver's side
(6) Stops quickly
(7) Bright, well-aimed headlights
( Well designed parking and turn signal lights
(9) Floormats (how is that still not standard in other cars?)
(10) Cover for rear cargo

And I've gone on for too long...
Old 12-31-2004, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Wish I got a 5spd instead of an automatic,,but that will change next summer
Old 01-30-2005, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

Hi guys

I am a new member here. I have a 7 months old xA. I noticed that there are few differences between the xA's sold here in Saudi Arabia and your xA's. Mine came up with an armrest, front and side airbags, fornt and rear distance sinsors and 15" Dunlop tires as standard.

The things I don't like about my car are:

(1) Wind noise at high speeds.
(2) The Dunlop tires are sucks; too noisy.
(3) Rear air suspension gives a strange noise.
(4) It has a bone-shaking ride at speeds over 150 kph (thats about 95 mph).
Old 02-01-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mileage blows @ 80 plus, needs 6th desperatly.

interior lighting needs help, I put in the $8.00 Autozone lights.... much better.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:56 PM

The engine pulls very nicely for it's size and displacement, no complaints here. I can stay ahead of traffic with relative ease, and if I want to I can leave them in the dust (well.. till the next stoplight )

The only thing so far that I feel could be improved is the road noise, especially during rain when you can hear the rocks hit the tinny wheel well. VERY noisy! However, it can be fixed with some sound deadening and bedlining spray :D

Old 02-01-2005, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member

a bigger engine than a motorcycle
Old 02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member

What RPM's does it run at when going 70-75 instead of the 85-90 all you are talking about?

My Tercel runs 4,000 at 75 because of it only being a 4 speed.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by waynephinney
What RPM's does it run at when going 70-75 instead of the 85-90 all you are talking about?

And apparently so does the xA even in the fifth gear. When I test drove one and took it on the highway, I instinctively wanted to upshift from fifth gear twice. Heh. It feels like it's working a bit too hard up there but I'll be mostly driving it in the city.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What don't I like about my xA? hmmm..... I don't like that it's dirty right now. Seriously though, I like pretty much everything about the car. I think the reason I'm so content with it, is because I have realistic expectations from it. It is a tiny little $13,000 economy car. It's not a luxury car, so I don't expect it to ride like one or have all the same goodies. It's not a performance car, so I don't expect it to be super fast or handle like a Ferrari. I think the xA does what it was designed to do very well. I have no regrets.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by time2design
Originally Posted by waynephinney

And apparently so does the xA even in the fifth gear. When I test drove one and took it on the highway, I instinctively wanted to upshift from fifth gear twice. Heh. It feels like it's working a bit too hard up there but I'll be mostly driving it in the city.
Damn... that's one of the major reasons that I want a 5 speed.

I'll have to keep thinking. I really like a lot of what the xA has to offer, but I'm gonna keep looking around to see if I can find something in my price range that's a little better. My biggest gripe? The speedometer being IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DASH!!! IT DOESN'T GO THERE!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:23 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the thing i hate about my car is the dinky ___ horns i'm just about finished installing my new well used sparton horn those things are big and couldn't fit it behind the grill i'm making due
was going in today but i could find the drill and found the cordless drill with dead batteries

so i'm gonna get the beeeeep with the loud HONNNNNK more like a beeeeONNNNNNNNK
Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 PM
SL Member

the ist in Japan has a plastic liner for the rear as I recall for available accessories.

Quick Reply: What don't you like about your xA?