Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

05 Scion xB A/C query

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 05 Scion xB A/C query

Hey all, I've owned the xB now for 30k worry free miles (apart from the intake cam sprocket repair I had to do the day I bought it). Recently (over the past few months) I've noticed the A/C starting to become weaker. It gets semi cool just not like it used to. I topped off the Freon, cleaned the condenser from any bugs, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. My accessory belt has also been squeaking, this typically only happens during start up-especially when my A/C is on. I've ordered new belts because it's time to replace those, but what do you guys think are the chances that my compressor is going out versus just needing a new belt? When I'm changing the belts should I be replacing anything else that you think of while I'm at it?

Thanks all for your help. Car has 130k miles.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-14-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 06-25-2016, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not an expert, but I've had the same type of symptoms when the A/C cooling fan (not the radiator fan - looks just like the fan for the radiator, but cools the condensor) wasn't working - I'd check it and make sure it's functioning properly too.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SJMiller
I'm not an expert, but I've had the same type of symptoms when the A/C cooling fan (not the radiator fan - looks just like the fan for the radiator, but cools the condensor) wasn't working - I'd check it and make sure it's functioning properly too.
Ok thanks for the advice i'll give it a shot. Last time i was hosing it off i didn't think there was even a fan there but i will give it a closer inspection.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eatcrispycreme2
Ok thanks for the advice i'll give it a shot. Last time i was hosing it off i didn't think there was even a fan there but i will give it a closer inspection.
On closer look I don't believe there to be an AC condenser cooling fan. I believe that the radiator fan functions for both. My Google search seems to think the same so unless you have some sort of link?....
Old 07-02-2016, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried topping off the freon in a Honda once, but the kits you get at the store don't really work as advertised. Ended up overcharging it - bad.
Unfortunately you really need to put the double gauges on it and get both pressures right for the temps and humidity etc... i.e., have an A/C mechanic do it.

They can also replace the schraeder valves at the same time. The system leaks from there or the compressor seal (usually)

BTW, how is your cabin filter?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cabin filter is good, I may just be too demanding on the xB, after renting a new car I got to spend some time w/ the AC and it wasn't all too different than my xB. I could get a new compressor condenser and compressor,
but as it works now I'll just deal with what I have. I might buy one of those small "pic" kits to straighten out the bent fins on the condenser.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-14-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:25 AM

Partial loss of cooling performance is usually caused by a reduction of refrigerant. But if you KIT filled it, a over charge can cause the same issue.
I would spend the Bucks. go to a shop with a good reputation have them evac and recharge the system. have them add some UV reactive dye oil and replace the schrader valves. The dye oil will assist in leak detection in the future, the addition of the oil will help the h-block/expansion valve continue to work properly and aid in keeping the compressor healthy. schrader valves are a very common source of leaks and almost free to install during a evac and recharge. loose belt will limit compressor effectiveness. fan test: open the hood first thing in the morning, start the car. ac off should be no fan spin. turn on the ac, fan should spin. (if the system is over/under charged the system will disable the compressor and FAN). Hope this helps. good luck and stay cool.