Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

06 xB Water/Coolant Temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 01:24 AM
SL Member

Default 06 xB Water/Coolant Temperature?

Hey all, so I’ve noticed since owning the xB for the last few weeks now. That in slow traffic, moderate/long idling, bumper to bumper traffic, or at a long stop light, the temps will rise and fluctuate between 200-204*F, when the fans turn on. And in free flowing traffic, etc. it will hover between 181-186*F, which I believe is the normal operating temp. By the way I’m using the Scan Gauge-II to monitor everything.

Is this considered normal temp behavior, that the engines run hot like this under the conditions I mentioned?

Thanks,
Ralf

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-01-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 05-01-2019, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Overheated coolant will steam off the water. If your "cold" overflow tank level doesn't vary, you're fine. If it slowly depletes, your coolant may be overheating.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:22 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Overheated coolant will steam off the water. If your "cold" overflow tank level doesn't vary, you're fine. If it slowly depletes, your coolant may be overheating.
I see, and if the overflow tank was slowly depleting. What could be the culprit for overheating? Thermostat, air in the radiator, etc.? Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be one of (or combination of) several things. According to the manual, you should run an "82C" thermostat. This should open between 176 and 183*F. Your "coolant" fan (not your AC fan) should come on at ~199*F and should go off at ~181*F. If your coolant system approximates these conditions, you're probably fine.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:55 AM
SL Member

It could be one of (or combination of) several things. According to the manual, you should run an "82C" thermostat. This should open between 176 and 183*F. Your "coolant" fan (not your AC fan) should come on at ~199*F and should go off at ~181*F. If your coolant system approximates these conditions, you're probably fine.
I do notice when the coolant fan turns on, the temps drop to about ~198-200*F. So far the car has not gone higher than 204*F in any of the driving conditions I’ve been in, thank you Jesus!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:01 PM
SL Member

So I just checked the coolant this morning, and the coolant overflow tank level is ~1-1.5” or so below the “Full” line. Since I last topped off the coolant overflow tank to the “Full” line about a week ago. Also I’m using the Toyota Super Long Life 50/50 Pink, by the way.

Is this normal, or an indication of something else? I haven’t seen or noticed any coolant leaks, etc. either.

I plan to bleed the coolant system of air if it has any, and if that helps. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Since I last topped off the coolant overflow tank to the “Full” line about a week ago."

Whether you topped off a hot or cold engine would affect the reading you took this morning. Now is a good time to take a morning reading, once a week or so. Pink coolant is fine as long as it's not mixed with another color.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:50 PM
SL Member

"Since I last topped off the coolant overflow tank to the “Full” line about a week ago."

Whether you topped off a hot or cold engine would affect the reading you took this morning. Now is a good time to take a morning reading, once a week or so. Pink coolant is fine as long as it's not mixed with another color.
I checked all the coolant lines didn’t see any cracks or any dried coolant spots, they just look dusty. I didn’t see any white smoke or sweet smell from the exhaust muffler either.

Come to think about it, when I last topped off the coolant overflow tank about a week ago, the engine was still a tad warm. Although the car had sat for some hours prior to driving. Like you said, maybe this could be why there is differing in coolant levels. Topping it off when warm, versus cold engine.

So this morning, engine is cold as I didn’t drive it since last night. I topped off the coolant tank, then removed the radiator cap, started the car to bleed out any air if it had any. I also didn’t see any odd discolorations/substances. It appeared as the same color of the coolant I added.

Now I’ll have to check the coolant level again tomorrow morning when the engine is cold or in a few days. And see if the level as you mentioned is varying or remains stable. And go onto the next step from there. Hope to Jesus everything turns out fine though. I appreciate your input and help!