Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual Transmission Repair - 2005 Scion xA - North Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:11 PM

Default Manual Transmission Repair - 2005 Scion xA - North Atlanta

After searching and researching and some limited troubleshooting on the car itself, I believe the input and/or output shaft bearing(s) are going bad in my manual tranny. I'm hearing a 'metal-to-metal humming' noise and the ride is 'louder' now than before. When slowing down and I press in the clutch and start coasting the noise all but goes away (still there but faint). If I release the clutch, the noise returns much more noticably. Very noticable at lower speeds, too much road noise at higher speeds to tell.

This thread pretty much describes what I am hearing...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220261

I am looking for a reputable transmission shop here in the North Atlanta area to take a look. Anyone have any recommendations?

I was going to change the fluid and replace with some Redline MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil to see if that would help, but am not sure that would be worth while if the bearings are bad and need replacing.

2005 ScionxA w/ manual tranny
169000 miles

Appreciate the help,
-Rob
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like your throw out bearing seized. I'm surprised it actually lasted that long. If you want a "reputable" transmission shop, you'll want toyota, otherwise all the other "transmission" shops are usually holes in the wall. You're looking at some serious labor cost on this one for a really cheap part. That's trannys for you. Good luck man
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remember that sometimes it is better to just go with a good used tranny considering the fact that most of them, especially manuals, last the life of the car. The advantage with this approach is if you have a general mechanic that you trust, he or she can probably do the job for a lot less than a tranny shop or Toyota. The mechanic usually has an already establish relationship with a trusted source of used trannies. So to find out if this is a good option with this particular vehicle and problem, all you have to do is drive in and get an estimate. Plus, you know how internet diagnostics sometimes go. As good as everyone is here (and I certainly am not referring to myself when I say that), it is conceivable that a mechanic might tell you that the problem is fixable and much less costly than you originally thought.

Also, the fluid replacement idea isn't necessarily a bad one if you want to do something yourself first. It might buy you a little more time and make the eventual repair cost a little bit easier to swallow because you were able to put some money aside and/or just get used to the idea of a costly repair. I speak from experience because I ended up doing something similar once with an automatic transmission. Now, in that case, I ended up being able to pull the pan and check the filter, something I had never done before. I learned a lot, am convinced that the fluid change bought me a few more months, and was knowledgeable enough about the problem when the time came to be certain that I wouldn't get ripped off. Got all of that for the price of new fluid because the pan gasket and filter didn't need to be replaced. I considered the whole thing to be a bargain in terms of cost/time. I would think the condition of the fluid that is in there now would help you to decide whether or not to roll the dice.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Just a quick thanks for the replies. If it's the release bearing, I'm not afraid to tackle that job myself with the help of a friend, as I was thinking of replacing the clutch anyhow with so many miles on her. It's the internal work that scares me . I just replaced the shoes/pads/rotors/drums, shocks/struts/springs and did the standard tune up like sparkplugs and filters over the last couple of weekends. She was in dire need of some attention, which I'm embarrassed to say she wasn't getting.

Had new tires put on about three weeks ago and that is when I noticed the noise. Ride noise is much less with new tires, so I'm guessing I could hear it better and just didn't notice it before...or its pure coincedence that it happened around the same time.

bearsnob, you are correct with the internet diagnostics. I guess I'm hoping for the best (release bearing) but expecting the worse (internal bearings/damage) in this particular case. Wouldn't hurt to take it in for an estimate. I appreciate the comments on a good used tranny. I had researched reman'd units and they run $900+ and wasn't looking to spend that much. I should get the MT-90 in today and will probably go ahead and change it out this weekend.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually you can get a good used tranny for less than half of reman. Sounds like you have the skills to replace yourself. Stay away from a company called everdrive. One of those "if it sound too goo to be true" things. One of the worst experiences I ever had. The say their used trannies are so exceptional that they give you a three year guarantee. The guarantee sounds bullet proof. If, for some reason the tranny they send fails within the first year, they send you another at no cost and pay to have it installed. Plus, at the time, they were associated with several large parts stores. Well, the first tranny came and my mechanic was sceptical just looking at it. He installed it and it was bad. Replacement tranny came a couple weeks later and it had a hole in the casing. Everdrive paid for the casing to be swapped out and for the install. But that tranny was bad also. Third tranny, similar story. So I'm telling them they have be very sure the next tranny they send will work. They decide to use a small print clause in the contract and refund my money. Doesn't sound horrible until you realize that I paid for the first install ($400) when I had a tranny that would not go into overdrive. Now I have a tranny that won't leave 1st gear, a mechanic who is major frustrated because my car has been on his lot like three months, whatever I do next will cost me $400 more, etc. But it ended up not being so horrible because O'reillys took pity on me and stepped up to the plate when they were under no obligation to do so. Ended up getting a rebuild of my original tranny for the cost of a used and it was a great rebuild. So it was just the frustration factor and time as opposed to all of that plus cash. Anyway, that is when I learned that I should have just gone into my mechanic to get an estimate. If he had gotten a bad tranny through his sources, he would have done the new install either free or dirt cheap. Plus he told me he had never gotten a bad tranny and would probably know if he did way before he installed it. Live and learn...

Please keep us updated, I'm interested to find out what happens.