Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2004 xA Needs new Motor Mounts. Guides? Diagrams?

Old 09-12-2018, 06:12 PM
SL Member

Default 2004 xA Needs new Motor Mounts. Guides? Diagrams?

My new-to-me 2004 xA has classic symptoms of motor mounts that need replacing- rough idle in drive and reverse, fine when under load, and a little chirp from the belt. I have been searching here and on YouTube for some kind of tutorial, but I cannot find a thing that will help me locate, identify and swap the mounts. Can anyone point me to a source where I could find some pictures, videos, or diagrams that can get me started? I think I can handle the job, but I need some kind of guide. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

You can try looking online for excerpts from the maintenance manuals but Toyota has likely seen to it that those aren't going to be easy to find when they sent out their 'Cease and Desist' notices to sites where some of their stuff was openly posted.

Another option is to go to Energy Suspension's website and look at the directions for their Scion xB motor mount bushing installation...it'll give you a decent idea of what you are getting into.

Energy Suspension Motor Mounts
Old 09-13-2018, 01:08 AM
SL Member

Thanks, MileHIghtC,,, That is literally the only thing I've seen that shows even an approximate location of what I'm looking for.

Seeing that pic, I'm re-considering tackling it myself. I did get a 1-month extended warranty because I used Edmunds to find and eventually buy the car. I think I'll put the warranty to the test and see if I can get the motor mounts done for my $100 deductible.

BTW- ate tC engines so different from xA/xB? I see almost nothing xA related, but any vids on YouTube are usually tC procedures. Could I generally follow those?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:04 PM
SL Member

Thanks for pointing me to Energy Suspension- it's the only diagram of any kind that shows what I need to change! I even paid for an AllDataDIY subscription, but all it contains are prices to have it fixed at a shop. I can't find anything on YouTube or anywhere else to help me get started. I can plainly see the passenger engine mount, but the trans mounts look harder, and without some kind of guide, I don't know if I should tackle it.

Just to ask again- any other ideas for sources of info, especially diagrams? Thanks-
Old 09-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

I checked the service manual today and it has one diagram that shows two motor mounts but it's difficult to even tell where they are in relation to anything else as it's an 'exploded' diagram...
Old 09-29-2018, 02:22 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
I checked the service manual today and it has one diagram that shows two motor mounts but it's difficult to even tell where they are in relation to anything else as it's an 'exploded' diagram...
Really? So even the service manual is less than useful!? I guess you're just supposed to have a level of knowledge that you'll just know what you're doing when you tackle this!

I think I'll print out what you pointed me to and take it out to the car, stand there until I can figure it out...
Old 10-06-2018, 02:58 PM
SL Member

Well, I tried to change the top passenger mount, which I thought was the easiest. I can see two bolts on the engine, and three on the frame of the car. I put a jack and a piece of plywood under the oil pan and gently lifted the engine just a little bit. Then I removed all of the bolts I could see. The mount didn't budge. So I took a close look at the new mount to see what I was missing, and there's a puzzle I can't figure out. There is another bolt, with double threads on it. I can't for the life of me figure out how I would turn that bolt, as there's no head on it. It's more a threaded pin than a bolt, I guess.Does anyone have advice on how I do this? thanks.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Without looking at the mount and how it might go in it's hard to say if you even need to remove that but, if you do in fact need to, double jam nuts...put two nuts on, tighten them against one another and then use the bottom of the two nut as a 'bolt head' loosening against the locked top nut.

Double jam nuts are a pretty common way to get studs of all kinds off/out...

Looking at this video (it's in Spanish but does give a good view of what he did to remove the mount) it doesn't seem as if he ever does anything with that stud but looking at the manual (attached .PDF) it looks as if there might be a nut on that stud (or should be at least):

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
conponen.pdf (70.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by MileHightC; 10-06-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:10 PM
SL Member

Yes! There IS a nut on the bottom. I looked up a Toyota Echo motor mount how-to and when the guy displayed his new part, I saw a nut was on that stud. I went out and felt underneath my current mount, and sure enough there is a nut, although it will be quite hard to remove, as I can't see it and there's not much room for a ratchet. At least I know what I'm looking for now, though.

Thanks for that diagram, too. Lots of info in that one picture!
Old 10-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Glad I could help, man...good luck on the swap-out.