Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   2004 xB Engine Mounts Replacement (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/2004-xb-engine-mounts-replacement-233612/)

Dave04XB 02-27-2017 04:37 PM

2004 xB Engine Mounts Replacement

I am hoping to get some advice on how to change the rear engine mount on my xB. Videos and threads are scarce on the subject. I changed the manual transmission mount, and now I am on the rear engine mount (car is on ramps for 2 weeks now, while I drive an older Elantra!).

I took off the 2 nuts and removed the base bolt and the through-bolt that goes through the rubber mount. Now i am stuck. I can't get enough clearance to remove the mount. The studs on the mount are too long. The bolts on the bracket that i would need to remove are very difficult to get to: the lower one is possible, but the top one is barely visible, let alone reachable.

Does anyone know any tricks on what to do next? Can i push the engine a certain way, or lower the subframe partially to get more room? If the bracket came with 3 bolts instead of the bolt + 2 long studs, I would have finished last week. I am a little hesitant to loosen the subframe because I may damage something line power steering lines.

The 3rd mount on passenger side looks simple.

The whole reason i am doing this is because the motor sounds louder, transmission side rocks and lifts a lot (and squeaks a bit), and it is becoming a little more difficult to put into gear, especially reverse. I put 2 quarts gear oil into the manual transmission, but no real difference. Hopefully the engine mounts will make change this! If not, i can keep troubleshooting the issue.

xB has 116,000 miles on it.

Dave04XB

Dave04XB 02-28-2017 04:36 PM

2004 xB Rear Engine Mount

Nevermind! Last night, I cleaned up the area and got underneath the car again (it helps to work in a clean area!) I looked closely at the bracket that seemed to be holding me back from removing the rear engine mount. First bolt is easy. Second bole it about 3" toward the drivers side from there, and was kind of a pain. I was able to break it with a wrench and a helper pipe. From there, I had to use a 14mm socket with extension to reach it from behind the subframe. This is the area where they say to be careful not to ruin the lines for power steering. As the bolt came out, there was less and less clearance, so I switched to a 15mm socket to turn it at an angle. The third bolt I was able to access from the top. I have the car on ramps, so i needed a step-stool to be able to see it and reach down between the engine and the firewall. After I broke it, I could hear the bracket jingle, which means I had jacked the engine up correctly and I didn't need to worry about the motor rolling back (I guess it is pretty stable anyhow???). When I finally got that out, being careful not to damage any hoses, i was able to get the top bracket out through the firewall gap. The rear mount was able to be wiggled out of the bottom by going over the subframe. The rear mount did not look too bad, whereas the transmission mount was weak rubber and was torn.

Tonight, I get to put it back together, and work on the third mount. I'll let you know how that goes.

BTW - does anyone know why there is a cylinder of rubber bolted to a stud that sticks out of the bracket that attached to the engine? It is 1.75" diam by 1 " long. It does not seem to have anything that would touch or hit it...

Hopefully, when I am done, the car will be quieter!!!

Dave04XB 03-01-2017 04:32 PM

Still Trying

Last night, I had a free hour so I was able to put the brackets back in place, first the rear motor mount, and then the top mount that fastens to the engine.

Before I started, I compared the old and new mounts: there was a definite bend or twist in the old bracket and I am not sure what caused it.

I was only able to start one bolt in the top bracket, which was the most accessible. The other two need the holes better aligned. I will try that tonight, and hopefully finish with the third mount.
So far, bad rubber in the trans mount, bent rear mount, so I wonder what awaits with the third mount!

Dave04XB 03-02-2017 04:17 PM

Almost there!

Last night, I was able to move the bracket to the driver's side, and the other 2 bolts went in very easily. Then I tightened everything snugly. Only item of confusion is that there is a small bracket for the O2 sensor wire that has a hole that is too small for any of the bolts that I removed! I zip-tied it to the top of the engine mount so it doesn't bounce around. I don't know, and can't see, where it was mounted originally. Tonight, I will change the passenger side mount, and I will be able to run it again!

RichBinAZ 03-02-2017 05:51 PM

Sounds like you are having fun. Have not done the xB mounts - have done them on a V6 Accord- very tedious job.

Interesting that you had a torn gearbox mount - that might be worth a look on the lads car.

I don't know what that odd cylinder is - perhaps some kind of dynamic damping device???

Dave04XB 03-03-2017 02:08 AM

Almost there!

Well, I was able to finish the 3rd mount tonight. It also was torn. So I think it was worth doing. The car seems a little quieter, and I haven't heard the engine squeak yet! I will know more when I travel to work on the highway on Monday.

Overall, I am glad I changed them, but it was a pain!

i

gumbyatl 09-23-2017 11:28 PM

I was thinking about doing this exact job soon and had a similar problem finding anything online. Do you have any photos of the job? I have located the passenger and transmission mounts, but I want to make sure I know what I'm looking for to find the rear mount.

Dave04XB 09-25-2017 04:41 PM

2004 xB Rear Engine Mount

Hi, Sorry, but I didn't take pictures. The rear mount is a pain because there are 2 long studs that need to extend thru the subframe. When you get under there, you will see 2 nuts on the subframe just below where the exhaust goes up to the manifold. The third bolt can be reached from the top by reaching between the fire wall and the engine. It is tight space, but you can do it with a socket extension or 2. Good luck!!!

gumbyatl 09-26-2017 04:05 AM

Okay, thanks! I think I got it. Will try and follow these steps and report back and let everyone know how it goes (I'll try and snap some photos for anyone else doing this too!).

SWells679 09-27-2018 04:50 PM

DAVE04XB,
Got to this thread very late. Can you describe the "engine squeak" you were hearing? I must've missed it. I have an '05 xB (Man. Trans.) w/172K miles and about a month ago, I started hearing a "non-suspension" related squeak. I hear it as I accelerate and/or let off the throttle at lower speeds. I've done a cursory poke around underneath and couldn't find anything obvious, but it's starting to annoy me (1 - because I can't find it; 2 - I don't like having my stuff squeak). Any thoughts?

V/r
SWells679

Elijmdy 06-10-2019 01:12 AM

How do you get Left Top Bracket bolt on Rear Mount off?

So I have an 06 I went to take out and realized the bracket would not left it go past it, I tried to take bracket got bottom bolt could not get a wrench on bolt above it sub frame in way and the top bracket bolt could not access under car.

So how did you get left top bracket bolt on rear mount and the top bolt under bottom f bracket?

___