Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 Scion xA Vehicle Speed Sensor P0500

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:35 PM

Default 2006 Scion xA Vehicle Speed Sensor P0500

2006 Scion xA Auto 105k miles

Saturday Afternoon, I was driving up the street on my way back from picking up Dinner. I was going about 40 mph, and noticed my RPMs kept up and down shifting. I was going just fast enough to where if you gave it more gas, your car would down shift to accelerate, or if i let off the RPM would drop. Kept going between gears which I thought was strange.

It eventually threw a Code, so I went to Autozone to pull the code. P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor. I made it back home no problem, and as it was late in the day I was going to deal with it the next day.

I went out for a quick drive and while the CEL was still on, the car ran fine. Later in the day, I went to run a few errands and it started bouncing between gears again. I pulled over, turned the car off for a few minutes and started it. CEL cleared on its own.

Car ran fine on the way in to work this morning, so my question is how do I get to the VSS to inspect it and the wiring around it, and could this possibly be a bad battery or terminals. I had an issue 6-8 months ago where a lose battery terminal kept stalling the car. it would die coming up to a stop light, or once at 75 mph on the freeway.

We put HID lights in last week and have had some funky things happening since, I'm wondering if its bad terminals. This morning, the Negative Terminal was lose, I pulled the terminal over the weekend to reset the ECU, and may have not had it on tight enough.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 PM

Bump?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably is just the battery terminal, but if you can find the speed sensor, it may be worth pulling the connector apart, squirting with WD40 and replug it a few times. The terminals may have become corroded.
I don't know where the speed sensor is located, but I would guess down by the differential somewhere.

Thinking a little more...If your speed sensor was going haywire, wouldn't the speedo be going wacky too?? Probably just the battery cable