Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   AEM Cold Air Intake - xA,xB interchangeable? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/aem-cold-air-intake-xa-xb-interchangeable-20631/)

Satmax 03-21-2005 08:22 AM

AEM Cold Air Intake - xA,xB interchangeable?

I just found an autoparts website offering the AEM CAI model offered by Scion for $219. A killer bargain over the dealer listed price at $335+.

Only thing is, the intake is listed for xB. When I checked with Don Jacob's Scion Parts listing, the xA part number is the same as the xB part number. (PTS26-52040)

Might be a stupid question since I have matching part numbers, but just to be on the safe side, are these intakes the same? The engine is the same, but I'm worried about clamps and attaching points since the engine bay is different than the xA.

I'd call, but it's a little early and I'm impatient. :P

Ashe_WCM 03-21-2005 01:39 PM

I've installed both, and they are the exact same. Tho if you Wait a couple weeks I'll be selling mine for around $150 + ship, only 6K miles on it.

Fujiz_xb 03-21-2005 02:39 PM

get the injen short ram for 150 shipped from ptuning.com with the scion life discount..

i installed mine and it makes a hella of diff..feels like im driving a jet.

bBsactoguy 03-21-2005 05:26 PM

Hahaha... an xB with wings...

jp

Hey, since you bought that short ram, how did you bypass all the electrical stuff?

JDM_Junkyard 03-22-2005 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fujiz_xb
get the injen short ram for 150 shipped from ptuning.com with the scion life discount..

just out of curiousity...how many other cars have you driven? ...cause i have an Xa, and i think this car needs at least a good 70hp before it'll feel powerful enough to be called a jet...lol.

I've driven cars with 3-4 times the amount of power as this car...so it's just my opinion.

But i would agree that I've read that the Injen intake is the most bang for buck mod that I have seen.

Ron

scionguy05 03-22-2005 06:21 AM

hahahahaha like a jet, when i put im foot on my gas pedal my xb is anything but a jet, maybe i need that extra 5 hp to get that jet engine up to par

sammydad1 03-23-2005 04:20 AM

Cold Air Intake....Hype or Real ??

Hi,

I have been looking thru any items that might make my '05 xB 5-spd more driveable and get some higher gas mileage numbers.

The cold air intake looks like it might be a reasonable thing to invest in.

But what are the realities as far as power and gas mileage ?? I will be using my xB for more about town use rather than speedomonstering it.

As my signature says.... Where is that 6th gear now....

Any comments ??

Dave

TJandBOXCARWILLIE 03-23-2005 07:39 AM

Re: Cold Air Intake....Hype or Real ??

Originally Posted by sammydad1
But what are the realities as far as power and gas mileage ?? I will be using my xB for more about town use rather than speedomonstering it.
Any comments ??

Dave

I found more power to be there after the AEM CAI, and I also noticed a increase in the MPG. I would say, though, for the AEM CAI to really be efective, you need the BORLA exhaust to go with it.

IMHO, of course.

Any questions, feel free to ask. 8)

Chimmy3 03-24-2005 03:52 PM

the compatibility of the AEM intake between the xA and xB depends on which AEM CAI it is. there are two out on the market. The aftermarket ones are usually an L-pipe like one that fits the xb only!

there is also the big looping dealer type AEM CAI. That one usually comes with mounts to fit both xAs or xBs.
PTS26-52040 is the dealer one (usually comes with a bypass valve). Some places sell the dealer version without the bypass valve (which costs around 45$ extra).

21-567x is the xB only CAI... make sure thats not the one they are selling... as it retails for about 200$.
the "x" in the part number denotes the color
B=Blue
R=Red
S=Silver
P=Polish

jct 03-25-2005 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fujiz_xb

make that around 211.95 before the discount at ptuning.com

the 150 is for the xB :wink: :roll:

but for a few bucks more you can get the injen cai setup and you can take off the extra pipping to get the S.R.I setup but most ppl on here already knew that anyways...

Chimmy3 03-25-2005 03:56 AM

so the injen cai is better than the injen short ram for the xA? I never knew it cost more...

edit: wait i just looked at the pics... whoa that is weird... the "short ram" for the injen is just the beginning for the CAI?

Isn't that awful close to the engine?

The good thing about the xB injen short ram is that ot draws from nearly the same place as all the CAIs...

Why didn't they make the xA's the same way...

If you have a xA I would note a lot of people recommend the injen based on the xB's short ram version. Which apparently is quite different from the xA's version...

TheScionicMan 03-25-2005 04:17 AM

I've got the Injen CAI and like it. Of course, I don't have anything to compare it to except stock but it made a lot of difference, IMO. It hasn't helped my MPG, but I'm driving just as fast without having to use as much pedal. And I've got the auto, BTW.

ScionxR 03-28-2005 06:53 AM

With my AEM CAI it seems water gets sucked in bad. My body kit has a opening that when it rains soaks the cone. I tried a search but couldnt find teh answer. Can i remove the bottom of the tubing so its 1/2 the length and stops in the engine bay, not the wheel well? Also will this hinder any noticable performance?

hotbox05 03-28-2005 07:52 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you just remove the pipe , you will actually gain a bit of hp like up to 2 ponies worth.

Fujiz_xb 03-28-2005 01:19 PM

"feels like a jet" is only an expression but it does seems better in peformance and pickup.

here is my review

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53056

Chimmy3 03-28-2005 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by hotbox05
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you just remove the pipe , you will actually gain a bit of hp like up to 2 ponies worth.

whoa hmm you know that might be an idea worth doing...