Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   Air "Compressor" prob. broke!! Is Pulley the culp (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/air-compressor-prob-broke-pulley-culp-106463/)

INFINI 06-28-2007 10:59 PM

Air "Compressor" prob. broke!! Is Pulley the culp

Hi all,

I post this in the lounge section but I think it's better here. The other day my Air conditioner stopped working. I had not used it all day and when I turned it on only heat Sad I notice no difference in car performance when I turn on and off the Air and there should be.

I looked at the belts and all was ok, my friend saw there was no Freon and then when we put some in there is was. A hissing sound from the are where the AC line connects to the Radiator line. It was leaking and there was no pressure.

I did install a Crank Pulley (not under pulley) but there really is no relation to the parts at all. Any ideas why this happened? Could a rock have gotten in there and poked a hole?? Will I have probs getting it fixed with the warranty? Has anyone had this problem??

I know there is a possibility the dealer will try and give me trouble but I do not see ANY connection with the mods I have done and this problem I am having.

Thanks

INFINI 06-29-2007 04:41 AM

No one??

TuningIsLife 06-29-2007 05:37 AM

Did you throw some A/C Dye in? its posible but not probable that it was a factory defect with fitting. Throw some Dye in , charge the system and see where it leaks out.

INFINI 06-29-2007 05:58 AM

Can I buy AC Dye at any parts store? What entry point do I put it in High or Low? Also what else could it be besides a factory defect with fitting? How could the crank Pulley in any way affect the are I am talking bout?

I know in general where it's leaking not not a 100% pinpoint. It's where or really close to where the AC line meets the radiator line.

Thanks for the response. I want to have as much info as possible before I contact the dealer or insurance company.

TuningIsLife 06-29-2007 06:08 AM

Off the top of my head I cannot remember, it requires a UV light to see it, most repair shops that can service A/C would be able to do that test for you. The crank pully would only affect the A/C compressor itself. It would have no reason to mess something up elsewhere in the car. The Dye will give you a 100% of where it is coming from. What the pipe is accually meeting with is the A/C Condensor. if the fitting came loose, or cross threaded or for some odd reason a metal line got a hole in it, then that would be a factory defect and should be covered under warrenty. If the dealer give you a hard time, throw the Moss Act at them. Don't mind my spelling. Its 2 am and i can barely see the monitor.

INFINI 06-29-2007 06:15 AM

He he LOL thanks that was VERY helpful. I am not familiar with the Auto Language if you know what I mean. so without people like you I would be taken advantage of real quick cause they know I don't know anything so they can say anything :)

Scorpius01 06-30-2007 03:44 PM

The compressor has nothing to do with the condensor in terms of making it fail. The condensor is in front of the radiator. You probably had a rock or some debris hit and puncture it. Examine your condensor for a hole, will probably be fairly easy to spot with out dye.

There are two hoses that connect to the condenso,r wouldn't hurt to see if it is oily around the connections.

INFINI 06-30-2007 06:50 PM

thanks! Yes I am gonna check it out before I take it to the dealer Sunday so they can check it or make an appointment.

Scorpius01 07-02-2007 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TuningIsLife
If the dealer give you a hard time, throw the Moss Act at them. .

In order for that to work there would have to be a breach of warranty contract. not just because the dealer tells you something you do not want to hear, or just to get your own way. Does not do a whole lot of good if there is no relevance.

INFINI 07-02-2007 12:10 AM

Well if I am not at fault then it's very relevant I would think. If I am at fault in the fact that my Mods actually had something to do this this problem than I am assuming I will have to take resp. for it.

TuningIsLife 07-02-2007 11:45 AM

From Club tC

Disclaimer: For the official wording and language about the Magnuson-Moss act please refer to the Federal Trade Commission Website: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

It is common for new car owners to be concerned about modifying their car and worrying about voiding there warranty. The following should be good information to consider if you?re worrying about that next modification.

Although the Magnuson-Moss Act was a law designed to protect consumers for any product worth over $25, it has become a large part of the automotive industry. We have all heard of stories in which dealerships have refused to honor a warranty because of modification to the vehicle. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, a dealership or manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage solely because the consumer has installed aftermarket parts. This does not give tuners an excuse though, to throw anything they want on the car. If the manufacturer or dealership determines the mechanical problem is fully or even partially due to an aftermarket part, they have the legal right to deny coverage or repair under the warranty. The purpose of the act, in regards to automobiles, is so manufacturers cannot require consumers to purchase the OEM parts. If you decide to use a Fram or Mobil 1 oil filter as opposed to the factory oil filter, this is where the act will protect you by not voiding your warranty. What this all means is that, although you can modify your vehicle with aftermarket parts, you should make sure you being smart about your modifications. No need to waste a good warranty while it?s there.

INFINI 07-02-2007 06:35 PM

All good info!!! I did do allot of thinking and searching on the things I have installed so far and nothing links or linked before I did the mods to the probs I have now :)

This of course does not mean they will not find proof otherwise :(

Unfortunately the same dealer put some really low grade oil for my 1st oil change and my engine sounds like it's got 130 K on it :)

So I gotta bring it in anyway.

Scorpius01 07-03-2007 04:13 AM

If you want to know more about what warranty does and does not cover, I work for Toyota. Just let me know what ever your concern may be with mods and if it will cause a warranty problem.

INFINI 07-04-2007 05:39 PM

KK good news and back news and then good news :). Good news is I know what the problem is.

Bad news is it's the air condenser. You can see the dent in the grill from whatever hit it. it's not under warranty and it would cost $850 to fix including labor etc.

Good news is it might not cost as much cause I am going to a radiator shop to try and have it tapped for like $30.

So a simple problem that is also completely an out of pocket problem. Maybe my insurance would take the claim but at what cost later.

Oh and I just need to put decent gas in the car. I thought you were supposed to use lower grade gas but noooooooooooooo. So I put 91 in and it's sounding much better.

TuningIsLife 07-04-2007 05:59 PM

87 is recommended, I have to use 91.

INFINI 07-04-2007 06:05 PM

Yeah but using 87 made my car rattle so loud it was embarrassing to drive. I was going to the cheapest gas station I could find :) Arco and such.

The mechanics said that in the long run it can do damage to your engine and is not worth the few bucks saved at the pump.

Scorpius01 07-04-2007 07:27 PM

Insurance may cover the cost, but i assure you if you go that route an aftermarket condensor will be installed.

Radiator shop does not retap anything for the repair. There are two ways the problem can be fixed. weld the hole, or if the damage is more severe rerod it.

Sorry to hear about the condensor.

INFINI 07-04-2007 07:42 PM

LOL thanks yeah such is life. I think welding will be the way I will go it I can.

I doubt that Logo Toyota would install an aftermarket condenser, do yo??

uber-xA-RS2 07-05-2007 05:59 AM

Are we talking about the condensor or the compressor?

Condensor: Large radiator like structure in front of the vehicles cooling radiator and is used as a heat exchanger for the compressed coolant.

Compressor: Heart of the AC system, and is a belt driven accessory located underneath the 1NZFE alternator.

Tomas 07-05-2007 06:45 AM

Toyota (Scion) recommends that you only use a "Top Tier" gasoline in any of their US distributed vehicles since those not certified to that standard do not contain enough detergents, etc. to keep our engines happy in the long haul.

It costs a little more to fill up, but it prevents a lot of problems down the road. (Do a search for top tier here on ScionLife for some discussions on this.)

For just the quickie list of acceptable fuels, go here:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Using an appropriate Top Tier gasoline you should do fine with 87 octane, unless you already have deposits built up in the engine.

Good luck on getting the condenser all patched up and the system re-filled!

Tom