Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Airbag replacement (passenger side)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Airbag replacement (passenger side)

I recently bought a damaged 2005 xB and have been getting it back to 100%. I didn't bother looking for any Step By Step instructions on replacing the airbags. I just grabbed tools and went at it. Here's how I replaced the airbags.....if anyone is interested, I did not have to remove the entire dash

PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG:

#1, Use a small flat head screw driver and pry up on the edge of the passenger side speaker.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_1.png

#2, Remove the passenger dash speaker using a phillips screw driver
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_2.png

#3, Depress the release tab on the speaker wire harness to get the speaker completely removed.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_3.png

#4, Use a very small screw driver to remove the center screw which secures the instrument cluster bezel to the dash
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_4.png

#5 With that screw removed, you can now use a small flat screw driver to pry the instrument bezel trim piece away from the instrument guages......The lower section pops loose pretty easily. The section surrounding the speedometer also pops loose easily....just work your way around the trim bezel with the screw driver, however, there are three clips on the rectangular portion of the trim piece that may seem a bit difficult to remove......get your screw driver in there and make a small gap between the trim piece and the dash. Leave the screw driver in there. Get out of the xB and look thru the windshield to see where the clips are located so you will know exactly where to apply force when prying the clips loose.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_5.png

#6 Remove the three screws that hold the instrument guage cluster in place.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_6.png

#7, Disconnect the wire harness from the back of the guage cluster
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_7.png

#8, Use a small screw driver to pry and remove the small square piece of the dash located above the glove box door...this is an access hole to remove the 12mm bolt which secures the bottom of the airbag.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_8.png

#9, This is what it looks with the small square piece removed.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_9.png

#10, Use a ratchet, some extension and a 10mm socket to remove the 10mm bolt securing the airbag.....The angle is kind of tricky, but it's basically angled towards the front bumper......Here is the ratchet set up I used. Two extensions in all, one short extension and one 'stubby' extension and a shallow 10mm socket.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_10.png

#11 Get your hand in there.....no surprises, most difficult part was discovering what angle the bolt is positioned in. Once the airbag bolts are loose, they will easily spin off using your fingers.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_11.png

#12 Thru the empty speaker cavity, you will see the yellow wire harness connector for the airbag....there is no "release tab" for this connector....it took me a few minutes to figure out how it disconnects......there is a spring loaded sliding mechanism which, when slid across/in to the connector, it disconnects the plug. I held onto the airbag side of the wires and used a small screw driver to push the spring loaded thing towards the car side of the harness (if that makes sense).....I was surprised when the harness disconnected.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_12.png

#13, You can now lift and remove the passenger side airbag.
Airbag replacement (passenger side)-screenshot_13.png
Old 05-09-2016, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oops.... I forgot to mention that once you have the speaker removed, you use a short 10mm wrench to access the airbag bolt thru the empty speaker cavity.

Damn, and I thought I did a pretty good write-up....

Anyone know How I can post bigger pics just incase I post more DIY write-ups?

I recently joined this forum and would like to be as helpful as possible.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the pics are clickable