Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Another Rough Idle '05 XB Post....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member

Default Another Rough Idle '05 XB Post....

I recently purchased a '05 XB with a AEM CAI and 18" rims and the strut bar or whatever its called. Ok the car is great and i have drove others with intakes, but mine has the rough idle while in D and stopped at a light or whatever. In N or P there is no rough idle and my rpm's are consistent so its not the fluctating rpm problem that alot of people have. I seached and found people talking about a throttle cable adjustment and a couple others said to do the ground wire kit. I am new to the XB and modding it but I want to learn and do it myself so is there anybody out there that can tell me where to start. Also I'll add that my rpm's are at like 500-650 while in D and stopped is this high enough? This is my first post and I searched alot and have been reading the past few days so help me and I will promise just like all other newbs to utilize the search always. ( the number 1 forum commandment, haha)

Thanks ahead of time people. ;)
Old 05-14-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a rough idle, no cel. changed out my plugs and it improved. can't say this is your problem but I don't think it would hurt. it could be just a loose connection on a coil, a bad plug, wrong gap but it did help mine.

you could also try putting a cleaner,like lucas tune up in a bottle or chevron techron in to help. no telling what might be in the gas your may have been using.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem with my 04 XB, AT. same rpm at idle when in D, goes away if shift to N or P. AEM CAI, GReddy exhaust, strut bar. stock size wheels and tires, 72K + miles.

plugs may need changing, don't know what original owner did, it's a repo. what is the ground wire kit?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had the same problem and fixed it

1) a ground wire kit will steady the idle in drive tremendously and you get one from ebay for lik 10 -15.00

2) could be your hood bumper-stops there the cylndrical rubber stops under your hood, if ther too low they allow the hood to vibrate and this is especially noticible while at idle , turn these counter clockwise to raise them till the hood closes and doesnt shake.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm having the same problem. When I stop at a light it idles really rough until I shift to nuetral. I also have an aem cai.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

by the way i have a CAI and a Greddy evo 2 exhuast and torque master plugs (notorious for rough idle) but with the ground wires on there it remains very steady and fairly quiet
Old 06-07-2006, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

re: tyrantcold's suggestion that it's the hood vibrating - the whole car vibrates, my son in the back seat wants to know how I installed the vibrator under his seat!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

re xcellent

if the whole car is vibrating then yeah your probibly on the verge of like a misfire , when was the last time you changed your plugs?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tyrantcold - that's the problem, I bought it used, and it was a repossession, so I don't know the history. It may be a good idea just to change the plugs.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

deffinatly change the plugs and flush all the fluids
Old 06-13-2006, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the car still covered under the basic factory warranty? If it is, take it to the dealership. Tell them to fix it. You didn't say how many miles were on the car but you shouldn't need a grounding kit or new spark plugs. The plugs in your car can go quite a long time. I pulled mine from my 04 xB with 24k miles on them and they look exactly as they should.

JOe
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Try re-setting your ECU by pulling the fuse for 5 minutes. The computer may have to recalibrate for the CAI addition.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya i had that rough idol thing in d at the stop lights.. thare was actually a little noise comming from the engine compartment like a knocking (not from the motor but from something under the hood) after i got the ground wire kit ( i made my self for like $10)
it was all gone and it has a little more acceleration...

heres the diy ground wire thing,

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0
Old 06-22-2006, 07:38 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have done everything grounding kit/ voltage stablizer new irduim plugs and checked the gap so ive geven up on it and im just letting it be
Old 06-22-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you check the rubber hood stops ? they make the sound like theres something wrong if their too low
Old 06-22-2006, 09:30 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i dont really have a noise just the idle is rough
Old 06-27-2006, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member

I purchased an 05 xB and have now had it for a year. I noticed this same vibration right away, vibration in drive while stopped, extremely annoying. Though I did purchase this car used with 4,000 on the odometer, it should make absolutely no difference, escpecially since I bought it from a toyota mechanic who took care of it. I eventually purchased a K&N typhoon system and thought maybe that might help it stay out of the rough idle, but it didn't help at all and since the vibration was there before the intake I highly doubt that any CAI is causing the problem. Also in no way replacing the spark plugs will help this problem I purchased mine with 4,000 miles on it and am 100% positive that Toyota would give you plugs that aren't right for your car. You would only be wasting your money in replacing them. Also I have not messed with this ground wire kit deal before, so I can't say wether or not it will fix the problem my guess is it won't. I do know this however I have never seen one of these ground wire gagdets on most true hot rods, it just seems more like a cool little ebay trick to people who aren't very performance inclined, I guess I could be wrong though is someone could provide sufficient data. But if anyone has come up with the cure I would love to know. I'll get off the soap box now.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have a vibration in drive. it may be normal. most 4 cyl i drove and stoped at a light, it would vibrate. its normal cuse its a 4 cyl.

otherwise it may be covered under warranty
Old 06-27-2006, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare
if you have a vibration in drive. it may be normal. most 4 cyl i drove and stoped at a light, it would vibrate....
They vibrate a lot. My BMW 2002's had rubber motor mounts, and the motors would shake an alarming amount. Last Saturday at Exposed 06 I was walking down a line of open hoods, and one xB engine was quivering. Could not hear a thing with the races going by. I looked up and saw a child sleeping inside, and realized he was keeping cool with the AC dragging on the engine as if it was in Drive.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my XB back from Toyota service, they found water in spk. plug #4, probably from when the used car dealer washed the engine before selling it to me. they also replaced the plugs, so don't know which one was the problem, but the rough idle with major vibration when stopped with AT in Drive, is not gone! sigh! now what?

Quick Reply: Another Rough Idle '05 XB Post....