Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone out there have had or heard of this issue????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Anyone out there have had or heard of this issue????

Hello,

I am an owner of a 2004 Scion XA. My recent experience has really scared me and i'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of this:

Back in August I parked my car and went to get out, closed my door and my car locked on its own. The unlock button on my alarm wouldn't work and when I put in the key into the keyhole on the passanger, driver and trunk wouldn't unlock the doors. I had my 17 month old son inside and it was hot out. I called 911 and they were able to jimmy the lock so I can get my son out. Thank goodness it all worked out.

That following Monday I took my car to the dealership and they said I needed to replace all the keyholes and a new alarm needed to be installed. They gave a price of $919.00 to get all fixed. I have never heard of such a thing! they said that the keyholes were "worn out" I have never EVER used them to begin with. I only used my car alarm thingie to turn lock & unlock the car.

I called the Scion hotline and pleaded my case. I'm waiting a call back from the case worker. In the meantime, I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard or experience this.

I appreciate all your replies.

Thank you!

Last edited by Philly_215; 09-22-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the alarm is screwy not the key locks

if you can take all the key locks out and take it to a lock smith and see what they say about it...
Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that is scary. I never had that problem!

I know that scions will lock automatically if you press the unlock button and not open the door after a few minutes. Pressing the unlock again or using the key always opens the door. Its weird.

So when you went to use the key, did the lock turn and everything? or was there a jam or restriction?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Nope, it wouldn't unlock. when I took it to the dealership they said I need a new alarm installed and keyholes need to be replaced. I think it's a manufacturing issue but because my warranty ran out they're billing me $900 bucks to have it fixed. I called the Scion Customer Hotline and as a "good faith" help they're going to reimburse me for the parts which is only $363.48. Something is better then nothing.

I was just curious if anyone else had this experience.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So this is the first time you used your key in the outside locks and it didn't work in any of them? I'm wondering if there was a screwup at the factory and the outside locks are key differently than your ignition.

Have the old lock cylinders inspected by a locksmith to see if the key codes all match. If they don't then there is something screwy going on. Are you the original owner? If so then Scion screwed the car up at the factory and you shouldn't have to pay for the re-keying with a matched set.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by Improbcat
So this is the first time you used your key in the outside locks and it didn't work in any of them? I'm wondering if there was a screwup at the factory and the outside locks are key differently than your ignition.

Have the old lock cylinders inspected by a locksmith to see if the key codes all match. If they don't then there is something screwy going on. Are you the original owner? If so then Scion screwed the car up at the factory and you shouldn't have to pay for the re-keying with a matched set.

I agree. What was the cause of the actual alarm malfunction though? That sounds like an electrical issue to me.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:56 PM

I think it is a screwup from the factory. They did give me a bigger key the my original one and I just tested it and it does work in the keyholes. wierd. I'm currently going manually lock the car with no alarm. They said the alarm needs to be replaced beacuse it's "old" (2004). I am the original owner.

Thanks for the idea on the locksmith, I'm going to find one and see what they say.

Thanks again for your response.