Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AWD possibilities?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AWD possibilities?

I swear I remember seeing something about the bB in Japan having an AWD option. anyone know what the link was to that site that offered it for that area or know anything about the ability to do a AWD conversion?
I always figured it would be possible to do a Celica GT-4 *all track* drivetrain.... with lots of custom work and some way to match it on a sidemount instead of an inline straight.

Friend of mine once brought up the idea to swap an EVO 9's engine and drivetrain in for the AWD but once again, lots of custom work.

Has anyone done any research on this at all?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-14-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Indeed, both the bB and Ist JDM models were available with an AWD drivetrain. However they came with a maximum of around 105 to 110 horsepower, and the drivetrain itself may nod be capable of handling much more. The EVO idea is tempting, if difficult. The performance would be incredible!
Old 10-06-2007, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

slap another engine/tranny in the back..
that would be less work than the EVO swap.. boost them both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yofZIcTkCiw

I doubt anyone will do it (with the box), but its not impossible
Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Killface
Indeed, both the bB and Ist JDM models were available with an AWD drivetrain. However they came with a maximum of around 105 to 110 horsepower, and the drivetrain itself may nod be capable of handling much more. The EVO idea is tempting, if difficult. The performance would be incredible!
do you know of any way to get ahold of something like that? i see that it's obviouse on the xB that it's ready for an AWD settup being it's got the gap all the way down the center for the drive shaft.

i'm not worried about the power end really. if it can handle... oh say 250whp/250lbs torque on a more torque/daily driver based power band, then i'll be fine. if not, Drive Shaft Shop can help whith the whle thing if theres any problems.

any inof at all of what trany was used for the AWD?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Killface: can you really confirm the AWD bB? Link, or? The rear suspension of the xB (twist beam) is not very suitable for AWD. You could be right, but as Ronald Reagan said: "trust, but verify".
Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they replace the twist beam settup with the rear end transfercase, axels and wheel hubs.

you can confirm AWD bB in japan here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_xB

though it seems it's only on the auto trany. but the way i see it, you could take the drivetrain wtihotu the tranny and bolt it straight to the C50... i don't see why it wouldn't bolt straight up.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, i've confired that the Celica GT-Four *AWD celica that uses the 3SGTE engne* is indeed a sidemount.

*sniff sniff* i smell possibilities while still staying within toyota bounderies
Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I had a 90 laser rs-t turbo fwd which is asmost on the same body as a 90 awd mitsubishi eclipse gsx. A shop wanted 6000 plus to convert it. The shop owner advised me to just buy a awd.
Unless ya just happen to have alot of $$$$$ to burn. It's possible.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see, now thats the problem.

and i don't mean to flare on you or anything but it's just something that i see that bugs the living crap out of me.

when someone says "i want to do an engine swap for my power" some jerk has to reply with "if you wanted power, then buy something with power" or *and agent, not trying to flare on you* like that shop owner says "just buy an AWD". before people say comments like that... maybe they should think... "oh ya... they just baught the new car there for Don't have the money to buy another". it's about originality and creativity with what you have, not the easy way out by going and getting something you don't like that has the abilities you want. i baught an xB because i like the xB, not because it gets good mileage or is insanely roomy in the inside or is a comfy ride. i baught it based off my driving habbits, where my hands automaticly go when i close my eyes an just throw my hands out for the wheel and shifter and also the way it looks because it's diffrent.

doing modificaions to make a vehicle better or "cooler" to bring up it's appeal and it's head turning ability is just being creative. i know that by doing an AWD conversion on the xB will get attention from car mags all over, but i don't care, i'm doing it for my self and the performance and quality of the ride. also in general the ride becomes safer for the driver and his passengers when his vehicle ends up STAYING on the road while drive on ice or snow much more then it would before. what keeps going through my head is "comfert of an xB, Ballah' status of an xB with the guts and power of a purpose made rally car.", thats what i'm thinking. the only real cost to me is custom draveshaft and axels to fit the xB from the celica GT4 / All Trac *ST205 version* which drive shaft shop can without any headaches. the reast of the install would be just about the same as doing your normal engien swap resulting in a comment of "my xB is not of this world" without having to say "ya i traded my xB in for this... thing here cause i wanted AWD ability...". creativity... thats what counts.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Morris7, I dont have a link to my source, but I do have the "World of Cars" worldwide car directory from 2005. It has mentioned in both the bB and Ist articles and specifications specific AWD models. Also I could understand both arguments for and against doing this kind of swap. Its going to be hideously expensive to do, but most one-of-a-kind things are.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

if you could get the actual bb awd parts you could save alot as you wouldn't(shouldn't) have to do any real custom work to get it to bolt up, you just need those danged JDM part numbers
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaj2002
if you could get the actual bb awd parts you could save alot as you wouldn't(shouldn't) have to do any real custom work to get it to bolt up, you just need those danged JDM part numbers
exactly which at that point i find that it might just be eassier to use a GT4 / All-trac's engine and drivetrain at that point being that Toyota actualy did that AWD settup completely custom just to get them selfs into the small litre rally sports to compete agenst the EVOs and Subies which they did GREAT in the early to mid 90's and then they sorta didn't do much after that, but that settup is still amazing to this day and is very compareable to that of any EVO and Subi ever made. plus at the same time, think about it... and xB thats AWD... PLUS the 2JZ little brother, the 3SGTE . obviously you'd want to seem weld the whole xB and get a nice custom chassis/interior roll cage to provent torque warp but it ould be totaly worth it in my eyes! i don't care what the cost, i would do it and i don't care how i'm going to do it, but i'm going to do it.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the 3sgte will be VERY hard if not impossible to fit in an echo/yaris/xb/xa
Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with it's stock turbo settup... no, most likely not, but the relocation of a few parts that are capable of moving and yes it will.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ooooh damn ooooooooh damn, Bob Bridge Toyota Scion in Seattle has Toyota 4WD JDM bB's... ooooh day... *excited*. xB's 4WD is easier to get then i thought .
Old 10-13-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

proof?
Old 10-13-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well now i'm using a diffrent computer then my laptop BUT i have the link saved. i did a google search for "Toyota bB 4WD" and it's one of the first links i believe and it lists a few vehicles and it says thier location is at the Bob Bridge Toyota Scion of Seattle. i really don't care much about the bB's them selfs, but rather looking under the hood and under the body to do a compareson of bolt patterns on the trany and see how it's completely bolted in and to see if it can be mounted to the manual trany and THEN getting every part number possible to fit togethere the entire thing for a straight bolt in.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so... i just found out that lots of 3SGTE swaps have been done on Tercels... if i'm not mistaken, isn't the Tercel's bay just about the size of the yaris/echo/xB/xA/ist/vitz ect... ? i mean sure, takes a few pretty pennies to get it work... lots of custom brakets, firewall massaging, custom coilover springs with higher compression and all that. it could work...

d@mnit! will some rich guy do this already and prove it already! JEEZ!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

there is a jdm right hand drive awd bb in city of industry that is for sale. not sure on the price, but i know it does not have a motor, but has everything else. The hardest part of an awd conversion would be the creation of the driveshaft tunnel in the floor, but since it was available in awd already the space is there. My old boss (race car fab sop owner, does cages and metal work for jic and tein as well as anyone with a fat wallet) and i were discussing the possibility of a sti motor and drivetrain swap. while it is more than possible it involves the creation of new suspension mounting points as well as motor mounts and all the electronics that would be required to run this bastard child. Either a extreme wide body kit, or seriously narrows axles and control arms etc would be neccessary. The engine bay would need to be expanded, by way of removing the inner fenders and much of the surrounding metal, basically necessitating a tube frame set up. By our estimations it should cost around 8 grand

brent
Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was thinking of using a AWD system from another toyota with a simular settup OR try to figure out what part numbers i would need for the JDM one. i was going to then send it off to drive shaft shop and tell them "make it fit" which they said specificly in email to me to say that and they would do it.

was going to have them reinforce the original AWD system to handle a bit more power and to modify it slightly to be used with the 1ZZFE. i braught up the idea to drive shaft shop, they told me that as long as i get the engine and tranny in there, they will fit any drivetrain system i want.

Quick Reply: AWD possibilities?