Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Axel back pipe broke - go without muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unhappy Axel back pipe broke - go without muffler?

Hey guys.

This is an odd story and I'm looking fro some input. I was idling my 06.5 xB at my parents today and noticed my exhaust sounded a little different.

I didn't think much of it and drove home. Along the way I noticed my exhaust sound change abruptly. So, I immediately pulled over and had a look. After some investigation, it appears as though the 2" pipe that feeds my axel back exhaust (GReddy EVOII) cracked all the way through. Must have had a weak spot or hit something recently. Just took awhile to completely separate the pipe.

Oddly, the break is pretty clean. It's about 2" from the clamp to the factory pipe (on the axel back side). It almost looks like it broke on a weld that what used to attach the flanged tip of the axel back, where it clamps to the factory pipe. Have a look:

Name:  IMG_0070-1.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  46.8 KB

So, I picked up a bolt-on coupler and some pipe wrap to bandage it up short term. But on the way home I was thinking about leaving the axel back disconnected completely. It's louder, but not unbearable. Since the pipe is 2" at the break, just in front of the rear axel, it doesn't seem so large that I'd be losing a ton of back pressure. I could easily secure the loose exhaust pipe and keep anything from rattling around.

Do you guys see any issues should I decide to do this? Just don't know if I feel like forking over cash for a new exhaust or having the break patched/welded. Is driving without an axel back going to kill MPG or mess up the back pressure of the exhaust system?

Looking forward to the input fellas. And yes, I realize it will sound louder.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the sound level is "OK" and not something you will get nailed for, my biggest worry would be getting the exhaust extended out from under the body so there is less of a hazard from carbon monoxide or damaging anything from the exhaust heat where it shouldn't be.

As to the reduction in back pressure, I'd go ahead and run it for a while and keep close track of how the engine feels and performs - I would suspect the engine could withstand the reduction in normal use.

BTW, I am in no way any sort of "expert" - that is just my thoughts on your questions.

Take care,
Tom
Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, did you notice the Cyclops Gremlin hiding behind your axle?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Take it to a local muffler shop if you decide to keep it attached. They shouldn't charge that much to weld it closed or if necessary replace the pipe.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I ran my 05 with out an axle back for a little while when I first bought it till I got to the shop. I did not see anything really bad, after getting a muffler put on I did notice that I had lost a good bit of low end torque when I was running nothing. But I say try it and see how you like it, it may be just fine for you.

And if you decide to leave it I say just get you a piece of pipe or tip that is a turn down, so the fumes and some of the heat at least goes to the ground first. And like you said make sure it does not rattle around too much.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

if you can deal with some lost acceleration it is all good
Old 06-07-2020, 10:49 PM
SL Member

To be honest, (I know this is an old thread but just now finding it) I had this exact same thing happen to me, same place and everything. I just bought the whole cat back system and I got the muffler off last week and I’m about to go ahead and take off the resonator and catalytic. I just feel better knowing that I’m doing the work on my car.. is there anything I should look out for or be aware of before doing this? I’m actually new to doing this but hey, gotta learn somehow and I understand some things just need to be taking to a shop but I can’t afford it at the moment. Thanks anybody.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:37 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toaster_Roadster
To be honest, (I know this is an old thread but just now finding it) I had this exact same thing happen to me, same place and everything. I just bought the whole cat back system and I got the muffler off last week and I’m about to go ahead and take off the resonator and catalytic. I just feel better knowing that I’m doing the work on my car.. is there anything I should look out for or be aware of before doing this? I’m actually new to doing this but hey, gotta learn somehow and I understand some things just need to be taking to a shop but I can’t afford it at the moment. Thanks anybody.
If you live where there is rust you should buy new header to cat pipe bolts, springs, and the gasket before you start. Getting rid of the cat will eventually throw a code but you can get a defouler. When I had the shop make my system they took the cat and resonator off and it didn't do much for power or speed. Unless theyre shot you should just leave em on
Old 06-08-2020, 10:30 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrrcom
If you live where there is rust you should buy new header to cat pipe bolts, springs, and the gasket before you start. Getting rid of the cat will eventually throw a code but you can get a defouler. When I had the shop make my system they took the cat and resonator off and it didn't do much for power or speed. Unless theyre shot you should just leave em on
The cat was bad anyways so I bought a Bosal catback and I tell you what... trying to hold my tongue but they suck, I’ve been fighting with this thing since 6 yesterday and I’m still currently under the car.. I have work today.. didn’t even get a bit of sleep.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:19 PM
SL Member

The cat was bad anyways so I bought a Bosal catback and I tell you what... trying to hold my tongue but they suck, I’ve been fighting with this thing since 6 yesterday and I’m still currently under the car.. I have work today.. didn’t even get a bit of sleep.
So you got new everything from aft of the manifold?

The first time I worked on my xB's exhaust I had to cut the pipe between the manifold flange and cat.
The bolts were destroyed by rust and when I put it back together I took the manifold off and welded nuts to the flange.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:14 PM
SL Member

Yup, but some odd reason the flange gasket is super thick and it’s not letting me put the spring bolts in. Idk how to weld or I would. Did you have trouble with the spring flange bolts?
Old 06-08-2020, 06:31 PM
SL Member

Yup, but some odd reason the flange gasket is super thick and it’s not letting me put the spring bolts in. Idk how to weld or I would. Did you have trouble with the spring flange bolts?
I think so... are the bolts just a bit too short to get the nut started? you should get a set of longer stainless ones but youre, hopefully, already done lol
Old 06-09-2020, 03:10 AM
SL Member

Well I was up all day and night so I took a smoke break and fell asleep before finishing tbh, yeah I believe they’re shorted but come to find out. Heh 😅 my dumb*** thought the old gasket was part of the actual end of the manifold cause it blended so well and was thin and that’s why the new gasket wouldn’t go on, I was wondering why when I took the old cat out that I didn’t see one.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:47 AM
SL Member

Well I was up all day and night so I took a smoke break and fell asleep before finishing tbh, yeah I believe they’re shorted but come to find out. Heh 😅 my dumb*** thought the old gasket was part of the actual end of the manifold cause it blended so well and was thin and that’s why the new gasket wouldn’t go on, I was wondering why when I took the old cat out that I didn’t see one.
LOL thats something that would happen to me. Is the system you got a factory style muffler or did you get something sportier?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:02 AM
SL Member

I got the factory replacement from Bosal. And after I got everything hooked up (putting the cat on last) it looks like they didn’t calibrate it right because it’s way off. I’m having to push really hard to align it and I don’t think it’s supposed to be like that and when I did get it aligned it’s like 4 inches from touching, I’d say if I had the long bolts I could’ve got it all together but I said **** it and letting the shop put the cat on. So in the mean time I’m running with open headers and I don’t recommend that unless wearing ear plugs lmao. Bout went deaf on my way to work this morning. Raging bumblebee.. I originally just wanted the mid-pipe but the cat went bad and the whole ordeal with the muffler soo..
Old 06-13-2020, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the old days, when things rusted out frequent and fast... They used to sell things called an "exhaust bandage" Have a google for that.
You may be able to reinforce the pipe break by putting coat hanger wire from one side to the other in multiple places before putting on the bandage.
Be sure the bandage covers both ends of any reinforcement
Old 06-13-2020, 11:35 PM
SL Member

I don’t know about the other guy but I needed a whole new one anyways.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
They used to sell things called an "exhaust bandage"...

In my opinion, Tiger Patch is the best exhaust pipe and muffler tape.

My dad's Camry muffler pipe looked just like the top picture. I used one packet of Tiger Patch and it turned out stronger than the metal pipe. The only "con" to speak of - you need at least an inch of space, 360 degrees around the pipe in order to wrap the tape.