Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Intakes

Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 PM
SL Member

Hello, first post here. I am also considering an intake an I have a couple questions.

From what I read, CAIs are quieter than SRIs but in the case of the xB, CAIs don't give a significant performance boost (if any at all) over an SRI. SRIs are generally cheaper, which is a definite plus for me. My first question is will an SRI make my car much louder than a CAI? I want the intake for the increase in power and MPGs but I really don't want to sound like a ricer, nor do I want to attract the "authorities" while I'm driving around. And if it is louder, is it a deeper growl or a canny fart sound? I imagine only an exhaust would lend a hand to the "fart can" sound but I just want to be sure.

Also, there are SRIs that aren't CARB certified for MUCH cheaper than their CARB certified counterparts. I am seriously considering an Injen SRI but for 1/3 of the price, I can get basically the same thing without the CARB cert. My second question is if I get pulled over and examined by the police, is running the risk and paying for a ticket worth the discount of the non-certified intake? I would imagine I'd only get a "fix-it" ticket, which isn't much here in CA, is it?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any way we can get the guide updated?
The pictures don't work anymore, and I think there have been more intakes made since this was last edited.

Would be great to get more info on my choices.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XenosoniK
And if it is louder, is it a deeper growl or a canny fart sound? I imagine only an exhaust would lend a hand to the "fart can" sound but I just want to be sure.
Depends really. My Supra's 7M-GE gained an awesome "growl" when I switched to a budget short-ram, but... some people think it sounds dumb. Especially the little "whoosh" sound when you step on the gas.

-shrug-
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fujita CAI! All about the looks baby! It has a nice tone to it. Only gets crazy loud at 3.5K RPM and above!

And I don't want to draw hot air from the engine bay with a SRI.

Plus! I had to shorten the intake to fit my tower struts, but I can't say the same for other CAI. Link below.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...178&highlight=
Old 09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I bought the injen short ram...looks nice..has an nice purr above 3k. Installs was pretty easy the pain in the ***** was taking the oem intake out.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Injen RD intake.

It's easier to mount than the directions said. They said I had to take the bumper & headlight off. I took the battery out, the lower tube went in & I took the lower cover down under the bumper & put the filter on from underneath.

No problem.

No amazing gains. Not much louder.

After a flood in my parking lot, I'm running the short ram section...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Injen IS2100

I have a 2007 xB and was wondering about this intake for my Box. but I did notice in the review on page 1 that the CARB EO was only approved for 2004.
Does this mean I wouldn't pass smog checks if i put this on my car? how does this affect me? I live in Southern California.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just reinstall the original. Besides. You won't have to smog till 4 years later.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i would have guessed that aem be the best intakes all around....now i know which one i am getting...thanx for the intake info. keep up the good job
Old 01-29-2008, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Injen IS2100

Originally Posted by rhin0sb
I have a 2007 xB and was wondering about this intake for my box. but i did notice in the review on page 1 that the CARB EO was only approved for 2004. Does this mean I wouldn't pass smog checks if i put this on my car? how does this affect me? I live in Southern California
No aftermarket intake is legal on 06 or later First Gen xB. BTW why do you say yours is 07?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I said it was 07 because i purchased it in April of 07. i do realize that the 07 is the 06 just re-released, but I say 07 just in case there's some small difference in the two.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the K&N Typhoon for my xB, and let me tell ya, I love it, The performance was so noticeable, it was like night and day from stock to the K&N Cold Air Intake, plus I don't need to worry much about hydro-locking and so forth, they made a very good design too. Allowing the cold air to come at the filter thru at the lower vents of the front bumper. But not directly, So that means it stays away from the sand and water yet still get the full air circulation. It was recognizable performance wise and believe it or not better on gas mileage. So Im very happy with the K&N filter

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-20-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-23-2008, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm trying to decide between the fujita sri and the injen sri... which is better?

i heard they were the same and then i saw this thread about a busted fujita that had a hole in it.

and how loud are they? i'm trying to get one that has a nice hiss to it but isn't loud as hell
Old 02-23-2008, 06:04 PM
SL Member

I have a Fujita with no problems at all. I like the design better than the Injen but Injen has resolved their design flaw with a filter to prevent the MAF from being damaged. Also, the Injen is CARB certified. I chose the Fujita anyway because I can always put the stock intake back on when it comes time to smog, plus I'd rather have the intake with a better design than with one that was fixed afterwards.

I don't think any of the intakes are loud. Maybe I'm just used to it now, but it's nothing compared to getting a loud exhaust. You'll definitely hear it though. I love the hiss on my box after installing it and how she exhales after I'm done playing with her..."AHHHHHhhhhh..."
Old 02-23-2008, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

quality wise is there a difference?

and that thing u said that injen fixed for the MAF sensor... would it cost extra to get that filter?

i can't decide between the two =[
Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can anyone comment on which intakes for the 1st gen xB do not interfere with mounting factory fog lights?

My used xB came with a short intake (I don't know which one, it's unmarked) and I just found out I can't mount the Left side factory fog light because it hits the filter of the intake.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Have not heard of a problem with short intakes--I know Fujitas are a B with foglights. No problems with my AEM installed after factory fogs................
Old 04-08-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the fujita sri (and oem fog lights)...installed by a shop about 22 months ago...looking down, i still see some room before they ever will make contact...so it runs contrary to many who say it rubs, etc. against the foglights...
Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'll look into a Fujita SRI. I'm also thinking about an Injen, anyone know if that interferes with OEM fogs?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hers is my Modified Volant Airbox system with Fresh Air Intake, all with temp? mods by me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Intakes