Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Car won't shift past 2nd gear (automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The speed sensor did not fix the problem... What else could it be?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can clear the check engine light by unhooking the battery for a second or removing the EFI fuse for a few mins. but the abs and brake light stay on. I will drive about 100ft and then the check engine light comes on. It drives fine until it needs to shift into 3rd.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you think if I clear the code with a obII reader it will recognize the new speed sensor?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yes...
Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you opened the tranny? Maybe 3rd is shot? If it isnt an electrical problem, it a mechanical problem.

Atleast I think so..
Old 06-26-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't opened the transmission. I saw someone post that they were driving in the snow and slid or something, they threw it into reverse and the code came on. Someone then metioned try to reset the code and see if it comes back. Possibly resetting it will fix my issue, and maybe my old speed sensor wasn't bad.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

check where the ABS plugs are. Im thinking when you had it in the shop toget the front air struts replaces they some how disconnected it.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do all my own work. I checked them the other day when I was trying to see what was wrong. Everything seemed fine.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone has an ideas, please post while I'm gone real quick to get the code reset. If there is anyway I can use a multi meter to test if the wiring is good (possibly where it plugs into the speedometer) Let me know, and what settings I need to put my multimeter on please. THANKS!!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Drink a white russian and call it a day lol. Its so hot outside and they are soo yummy.

Otherwise I have no clue. Good luck bro
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the code reset, it didn't fix it. The guy at aamco transmission said it is either a short, or the computer... More than likely a short.

I think the scion keyless entry I installed may be the issue. I think it has somethign to do with the VSS wire and a plug didn't get plugged in all the way or something.. Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Keyless entry would have nothing to do with your transmission...
Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the speedo working? If not then you have something still wrong in the speed sensing circuit or connections to the ECU VSS. You could try braking on something slippery like sand etc one wheel at a time to see if the abs works on each wheel or not at all. Also see if anything happens if you shift into neutral when at speed just be careful putting it back into gear.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm saying, doesn't it have a VSS wire it uses in the plug and play (because there were about 5 or so harnesses I had to unplug and plug the keyless wiring harness into and then plug the stock one back in) So i'm hoping maybe the main harness something isn't plugged in well.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Is the speedo working? If not then you have something still wrong in the speed sensing circuit or connections to the ECU VSS. You could try braking on something slippery like sand etc one wheel at a time to see if the abs works on each wheel or not at all. Also see if anything happens if you shift into neutral when at speed just be careful putting it back into gear.

Speedo does NOT work, ABS, Brake, Engine Lights are all on I can get the engine light to turn off by unhooking the battery. But if I drive about 100 feet it comes back on. The ABS and Brake light will not go off. Won't shift from 2nd to 3rd, but goes in gear, reverse and all that just fine.

The only thing it can be now is somewhere in my wiring a connection lose or something. Because I have a new speed sensor I installed today and it didn't fix it. Code was just cleared and the abs and brake light were on as soon as I started the car.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not shifting out of second is the SAFE mode for the transmission.
Normally I would go 1, 2 , 3 but you already did 3. So...
Since you already replaced the sensor.

1) Check All fuses. Stupid, but if you have a short and it trips the fuse, even if you fix it you do not know it.

2) Check the wiring bundle from the sensor. Look for ANY damage (chewing) or damage due to install of keyless. Mice and rodents love the wires, but normally it is close to the sensor on the bundle or a bad splice job.

I am about 85% that one or both are your problem. My gut says chew damage on the wiring since you have had the keyless entry on it working well for a while.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was in my garage for like 5 months, there aren't any animals that can get it, full block concrete floors. The wiring looked fine under the hood. I checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash, they didn't look blown. (Wonder if there are any specific ones I can check) I only installed the keyless entry about 3 months ago, but It still sat in the garage untested because I was waiting for my front struts.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you in the wet area of New England? with all tha rain we have had up here I bet some corrosion on some contacts is causing the problem. Sitting that long I definately would suspect that. With the speedo still not working I would think that a speed sensor is not working or the connection. Would be interesting to see which wheel if jacked up and allowed to spin would register speed on the speedometer or if it takes the reading from the transmission sensor. . . on a working xA!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if that would make the speedo move? by just one wheel... I'm hoping that its just a wire somewhere.
It was in the garage the whole time, dry as heck. But we had alot of rainy weather here lately, but the car just came out of the garage Tuesday and it has been dry here ever since.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The idea is if the speed is from the transmission before the differential or after it. With rear wheel drive it is on the drive shaft but front wheel drive has two drive shafts so . . . then if it comes off a wheel it may use the ABS sensor in the wheels instead of the transmission. It does make sense that it fails to shift into 3rd and 4th/overdrive because it can't detect speed.

Quick Reply: Car won't shift past 2nd gear (automatic)