Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Charcoal Canister

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The two pieces on the filler tube are a pain in the AAAAAAAAAAAAAA. The canister and charcoal filter were done in about five minutes.

We'll see if the CEL pops back up in the next few days. I expect that it will not, but who knows.

Thanks again jct for your help on the diagrams.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Default charcoal canister problem??

My 2006 xA has 43K miles and the check engine light came on.

In the last few gas tank fill ups, I had problems with the pump clicking off a few times during the fill up.

I went to the dealership today and they told me that the P043E code popped up. They said that this means there is a leak in the charcoal canister.

Toyota Colchester quoted $400 for the parts and 3 hours of labor. They said that they worked out a deal with the factory to get the parts for free.

Middletown Scion quoted $434 for the job - parts and 1.5 hours of labor. I asked them to check to see if they can get the parts for free and they said they would get back to me on Tuesday.

After reading the posts, I'm questioning if this is the root cause of the check engine light or if there is another problem with the fuel system.

I was told that the canister is not covered by the emissions warranty.

Don't understand why this is not covered by warranty.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

colchesterscion,

Is the P043E the only code that was stored?

Changing out the canister (along with the filter, filler pipe cover, and filler pipe cover holder) has fixed my CEL for the last 4k miles. Mine was throwing five codes which were P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419. There is a TSB that states to change all four pieces that I changed only if all five of those codes are stored. I purchased the part from ScionPartsPeople.com which is actually a dealer that is...I believe...up in Washington state. The cost of the four parts was just under $300 shipped to my door. I did the work myself, so didn't pay any labor. Changing out the canister and filter only requires you to remove three bolts that mount the canister to the vehicle. All the hoses and connectors can be taken off with your hands. The filler pipe cover and holder are another story. Those were a major pain.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-21-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

By any chance did you contact the dealer about this problem?? I have an 06 xA also. I have about 61k on my car and have already had the canister replaced once. The first time was within 6 months of having the car. The light just came on again. My husband and i took the car to the dealer that I bought the car from and the quoted me $645.00. I have been researching it and it seems like this an across the board problem.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by amysxa
By any chance did you contact the dealer about this problem??

I didn't even consider the dealer since the canister is only covered by the 3yr/36k warranty. According to the number of posts about the problem it is fairly common. I'm not sure if that's just because everyone who has the issue posts about it, so it seems more frequent than what it really is or not.

If you or your husband are comfortable working with cars then I would strongly encourage you to forget letting your dealer perform the work unless you can sweet talk them into covering it some way or another...or if they will price the parts + labor at about $320 or less...which I HIGHLY doubt especially since you're 25k out of warranty on these particular parts. If neither of you are comfortable working on the car, then would you have any friends who would be? There's really not much that one could mess up changing the canister and filter. You'll need a socket and ratchet to remove three bolts which mounts the canister to the underbody of the car. All of the connections can be made using your hands. If you're anywhere near north GA I would offer to swap them for you.

The two other pieces that the TSB call for is the filler pipe cover and filler pipe cover holder. These were designed a little differently in an effort to keep the issue from reoccuring. Now those were a MAJOR pain for me to swap out.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealership covered mine under the extended warranty
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

Exclamation

Screw dealership in Spokane on Appleway Blvd. No help whatsoever.
-Service technician: "You need to order the charcoal assembly from us. You wont find it anywhere else". Quoted $500.
I went to the junkyard, found one, and as I was about to replace it, I noticed that the one I got was slightly smaller than the original one, although all the places where it attaches to the car fit perfectly fine.
One issue I have, though, when replacing the canister. The CANISTER PUMP MODULE CONNECTOR on these two different canisters are a bit different.

They don't fit, that's weird, since it's from same generation xA... Any ideas?

This is the difference in sizes..

Even though they differ in sizes, the new canister fits just fine:

Anyone have any suggestions or anyone came to deal with these "different size" models of the charcoal canister?
By the way, the new charcoal canister part number is Toyota 90910-122216

Thanks for you reply..
Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try toyodiy.com and type in your VIN number and then look up the part. There may have been a mid-year part change. Then try an online site like
https://www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com/oemtoyotaparts.html fro a decent price.

Jess ( at the above site)will help you if you have any questions.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member

***Update***
Found out the canisters are different because of an upgrade from previous year. I guess the canister I got from the junkyard was from an '05 Scion.
Thanks for the website, so far, the cheapest OEM canister I've found ;)
Old 05-19-2011, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Hey profipix - check out scionpartspeople.com before you order from that other site. It you have an '06 then it's $222 plus shipping. I'm not sure what shipping is from either of those places, but I'm betting it'll be cheaper from the parts people with shipping included. You mentioned Spokane...I'm not sure if that's Washington or not, but I think scionpartspeople is out of Washington so you might have to add sales tax from there.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

Question Crushed fuel tank!

I have a strange one for you all.

Less than a year ago i purchased a 2005 Scion xA. I've recently been having trouble with the car stalling in the middle of the road, like it was out of fuel. But it wasn't. When I would put fuel in the tank the gas nozzle would click off constantly... like the tank was full. But it wasn't lol. Also, when I would remove the gas cap, an unbelievable amount of air pressure would release and I would hear a crunching noise, very peculiar. Anyway after some checking out it was determined that the charcoal canister was bad and while being repaired we would just replace the fuel filter as well. Well, that was impossible because the fuel tank was crushed. That's right CRUSHED! we could not remove the fuel filter. So i now need a new gas tank (MSRP $404 big ones!)

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone around here has had their fuel tank crushed because of this odd problem with this car.... or if I'm just ranked in the lucky rare group.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-21-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member

I bought my 06 Scion xA used and I'm having to do this replacement. I just barley reached over 64K. I'm really upset. I don't wanna pay to get it fixed!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-21-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 10-01-2015, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Monster_55
I have a strange one for you all.

Less than a year ago i purchased a 2005 scion xA. I've recently been having trouble with the car stalling in the middle of the road, like it was out of fuel. But it wasn't. When I would put fuel in the tank the gas nozzle would click off constantly... like the tank was full. But it wasn't lol. Also, when I would remove the gas cap, an unbelievable amount of air pressure would release and I would hear a crunching noise, very peculiar. Anyway after some checking out it was determined that the charcoal canister was bad and while being repaired we would just replace the fuel filter as well. Well, that was impossible because the fuel tank was crushed. That's right CRUSHED! we could not remove the fuel filter. So i now need a new gas tank (MSRP $404 big ones!)

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone around here has had their fuel tank crushed because of this odd problem with this car.... or if i'm just ranked in the lucky rare group.
The tank wasn't "crushed", it was imploded because of lack of vent.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Shield?

After spending hours searching this forum and others regarding the charcoal canister replacement, I'm finally posting as I think i have to give in and shell out for this repair. sigh. it sounds to me, from this thread and another
(https://www.scionlife.com/forums/mai...-p2419-142448/) that this is a known and sometimes recurring - and maddening - issue.

I got my xA about 2 years ago and the check engine light and related codes popped up pretty soon after purchase. i have to get the vehicle smogged in October and I'm begrudgingly looking into my options around getting rid of that stupid light.
I have found that disconnecting the battery works to get the light off for a couple days but a permanent solution would be nice...

Interestingly, I also found a bunch of information on a RAV4 forum, as this canister was also an issue with the rav4. that seems to have been resolved by Toyota by installing a Charcoal Canister SHIELD in all later RAV4 models.
There are also a couple posts peppered in to the Scion threads that mention this shield as a more certain and permanent solution (or as much as there can be one for a vehicle with so many moving parts!) and avoiding making the same repair over and over.

I am guessing, since the xA hasn't been made for a long time, there may not be a part number for this and maybe the dealers that fixed the vehicles of the folks that mentioned shields on this forum just improvised something. those members haven't been active in years though i have sent them PMs...
I'm curious if anyone has any information on whether i can order a shield that will actually fit over the xA canister, or any ideas on how to fabricate one (before Toyota started making them, some enterprising rav4 owners did that!). it just doesn't make sense to me to install a new canister if there is a good chance it will fail.I'd rather figure out the shield thing. maybe i can just duct tape a ziplock bag around the stupid thing to keep the water out, I dunno.

I see that the new Scion iA has a part listed on it's warranty that might be compatible - a "fuel tank inlet shield" - though i know little about the iA and how similar it might be to the xA.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-21-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2016, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

No help on your question on a shield, but I did just replace mine for the second time a couple weeks ago. First was around 68k if I remember correctly and this one was at 180k.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:23 AM

Had this problem with my wifes car. I used one of the Bluetooth OBD2 connectors from ebay and torque-lite to clear the codes, and it seems to be working now after 2 days. I was able to get my car past the emissions test, so that is good.

Still looking at a cheaper price for the charcoal canister to replace when it eventually fails completely.

Here is the other thread on this problem.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/mai...-142448/page2/
Old 09-22-2018, 10:48 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Order it from AutoZone it even comes with a Toyota P/N on it. Mine came in a white box.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-23-2018 at 11:55 AM.