Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DC Sports 4-1 Header Installation onto xA/xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Megan Racing header for 06 xB

Megan Racing header....

First, the gap between the b-pipe and the header is a bit big, but I think I can close it up with the two spring-loaded bolts. BUT the holes in the Megan header are NOT threaded, so I need to go out tomorrow and buy a couple of nuts to hold those bad boys in place. I will edit the post as soon as I get 'em.

Second, as for the donut gasket, how the hell do you get it off the stock header? If I do get it off, do I need to use it with or without the gasket that comes from Megan?

Any help is appreciated since I can't get the nuts until morning anyways.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i do not remember the donut gasket being difficult to remove. the problem is getting it off without damaging it. you could always buy a new one :/
i think that i used a flat head screw driver to get it loose then i worked it off with my hands. the screw driver did damage it slightly, if i recall correctly, but not badly enough to cause any problems (that i am aware of). that was about six months and at least 5k miles ago.

megan gave you a replacement donut? that was nice of them. you should only have one donut on there at a time.

that sucks that there are no threads. the only thing that i can remember about the header-exhaust bolts was the nice rage session i had taking them off. you'll have fun putting them back on if you have to use nuts!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by proctorsilex
megan gave you a replacement donut? that was nice of them. you should only have one donut on there at a time.

that sucks that there are no threads. the only thing that i can remember about the header-exhaust bolts was the nice rage session i had taking them off. you'll have fun putting them back on if you have to use nuts!
I will try the screw driver method. I thought that might do the trick, but was afraid of damaging the darn thing,

As for the gasket from Megan, it is a regular gasket, not the donut type. I will try to get the old one off then use it, if not I'll try it with just the Megan gasket and see how that works.

Well, off to Home Depot to buy a couple of nuts and then more fun with the xB!!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i put my header on July 1st...........last week the shifting felt wierd...and yesterday i had no 2nd, 4th or reverse. upon inspection the DC sport header that got installed melted the shifter cable.......not sure why i would have a problem and ohters have not......needless to say i had to order the cables from the dealer almost a $400 dollar piece.......so beware of my problem ..... wrap the cable or make a bracket.....
Old 07-20-2006, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i took pics of the cable but cant post them............can someone post them for me...... just give me your email so i can send them to you.....
Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$400! EACH?! holy CRAP!
couldn't you get those from salvage?

i have a mmw header which maintains the stock heat shield. it must make a HUGE difference, because i can put my hand down there without feeling much heat after a long drive.

sorry to hear that, man. i know what it is like to lose an investment in car modifications, but not quite that well :/
Old 09-15-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mikochu,

I noticed were you had you jack stands, can you put the jack stands on the rails. Is that area where you have them that strong? Thanks for the great write up.

John
Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jallamas
I noticed were you had you jack stands, can you put the jack stands on the rails. Is that area where you have them that strong? Thanks for the great write up.
There are designated jack points under the car. These are the jack points I used in the tutorial pictures. I wouldn't rest the car on the jackstands via the chassic (two big box beams under the car).
Old 09-15-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info!

John
Old 09-16-2006, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikochu
There are designated jack points under the car. These are the jack points I used in the tutorial pictures. I wouldn't rest the car on the jackstands via the chassic (two big box beams under the car).
i always use the points designated in the manual. i know a guy who lifted his floor pan instead of the car by trying an undesginated jack point.
those rails that are behind the jack rail look sturdy, but they do not have that ridge that the jack rail has. i like the ridge because it fits into the groove ofthe jack stands and the jack so they will not slide out of place too easily.
the specified jack rail works well enough that i do not see a point in trying any other place.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

great write up! put it to good use ! thanks!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: DC Sports 4-1 Header Installation onto xA/xB

i just installed my headers today. took only about an hour. my spring loaded bolts came off fairly easy due to the low milage on my car. also i had no problems with the bolts and nuts. none were damaged. the key factor is start first thing in the morning before you go anywhere and use lots of pb-laster. AND I DID THIS WITH A BROKEN HAND!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bookmark!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hey all, just followed this tech guide, those spring bolts are a ($#($$% to get loose! My dc sport headers are in, problem is, there is whitish smoke that is coming from around the flange area, is this a loose gasket or could this just be the copius amounts of wd-40 that I used burning away from the exhaust pipes? It still smokes after the engine is off so I woudn't think loose gasket, but I wanted to ask the well seasoned scion life crowd for advice. I reused the 2 gaskets that were on there, because Boch toyota parts department qouted my $47 for the donut gasket... that seems REALLLY high, or is this normal for a dealership?

If anyone is a round please let me know, I don't wanna die from Carbon monoxide poisening if I can avoid it ;)

********EDIT/UPDATE********

So the smoke and smell was just the excess wd-40 on the gasket and exhaust pipes. I figured that was what it was because of the white smoke (oil burns white ), it's all ok now. No noticeable difference in sound or power, I have the YDR intake on, but when my exhaust comes this week im sure there will be more hp freed up and the power difference might be notable by the seat of the pants method It looks good.

A tip though, get yourself a cheater bar, some wd-40 and some wheaties.. those spring bolts are tough motha's to crack, I thought I would be stuck with headers I couldn't put on, but just be persistent and plug away at it and you'll get them!!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by proctorsilex
$400! EACH?! holy CRAP!
couldn't you get those from salvage?

i have a mmw header which maintains the stock heat shield. it must make a HUGE difference, because i can put my hand down there without feeling much heat after a long drive.

sorry to hear that, man. i know what it is like to lose an investment in car modifications, but not quite that well :/
Where do you get this MMW header?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Seth_VampyreWar
Well, I did my header just yesterday. Got a new gasket for it, followed your walk through closely. It was fairly simple. Besides tightening those spring loaded bolts back on. *Rubs arm* Blah. But anyway, after starting the car and running it for a while, I noticed that while in gear, my car tends to idle rather low. Low enough to make the car shake. It floats around 600-800 RMPs, or around there. And for a short while, a heard a 'air' type of sound, like when I punched the gas hard, it just sounded like I could hear all the air flowing through the engine. It wasn't really a good sound, trust me. Though that has disappeared already. The only thing that persists is the low idle. Everything else is fine. With the exhaust, intake and headers there is a fairly noticable difference in the mid to high-end power. Plus it just sounds nice. ^_^ Any imput would be great. Thank you.
I'm having the same "problem" with a low idle after installing the DC 4-1 Header. I already had an Injen IS2100 intake and Magnaflow catback exhaust. My idle was fine until I installed the header. I don't have any air type sound or leaks. Everything is running fine, definitely a meaner growl. Just the low idle which makes the car shake, not terrible, but annoying, especially when everything was running so fine before. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on how to solve this "problem"?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:46 AM

Man I just stripped Nut 5 all to hell. Any ideas how to get that offf of there???
Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had no problem installing mines. Only took 1 hour. The spring bolts came out just as easy. Used no WD-40. When i first started the engine there was white smoke coming the the location of the DC headers. That only last a few seconds.

marchoftheruiner!!! They have socket sets specially made for unscrewing stripped bolts. Good luck finding them!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And another thing. I drive an '06. I didn't replace the gasket or donut.

Question: Did everyone else have a stock aluminum gasket that sandwich between the header and block? I did!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 AM

sparcshinobi:

I DID find those sockets you are talking about.... however they are too shallow to go all the way down that long bolt. If they had like a "deep socket" version of the same thing it would be all good.

Quick Reply: DC Sports 4-1 Header Installation onto xA/xB