Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Wal-Mart $88 Everstart Plus 2021 Group 25 battery info

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 03:28 AM
SL Member

Default Wal-Mart $88 Everstart Plus 2021 Group 25 battery info

Everstart plus 25-3 battery. Walmart $88

Sealed top, fold down handle, eye to check status

FMP in MN import from Korea

https://www.fvpparts.com/products/ba...otive-voltedge
https://www.sebangbattery.com/index....prodcuts/5-bci

Went to Wal-Mart to replace a dying Toyota TrueStart (5 1/2 years) after researching the crazy corona prices elsewhere.
Only the Champion AGM at Wal-Mart seemed like a solid choice at $189, but since I'm not driving much working-from-home, figure a cheap one will work fine for the cars that sit in garages.
Interestingly, no caps. Sealed design. Looking up the design and the biggest battery maker in South Korea, found that it's an SEBANG GLOBAL BATTERY OEM.
Figure sealed is better since the TrueStart out-gassed enough acid to corrode some of the paint around it.
Between the Everstart and Champion, it's really just the time between replacements. Figure the original Panasonic AGM ran 10 years, the regular TrueStart 5 1/2 years, so you're just replacing twice as often without going AGM.
No idea if I'll be driving the xA at 25 years old, but between now and 20 years seems reasonable given that nothing major like the automatic transmission has failed after 190k miles.

___
​​

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-20-2021 at 03:52 AM. Reason: repair Links
Old 07-20-2021, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

An intelligent pulse charger might help it last longer. Pulse voltage works better than constant to avoid cooking the battery. Even a constant "trickler" can do damage. Intelligent chargers have auto shut off and monitor more aspects to protect from overheating. Some have a "repair" function that will de-scale lead plates and de-stratify battery acid solution. This can minimize battery case bulging.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazing - how did you find that? just by walking in??
doing a search on their site shows no group 25 batteries
Old 07-26-2021, 10:18 PM
SL Member

Didn't see the sealed type when recently there for a generator battery but will scope it out again. Mine works but is corroding the nice AEM battery tiedown. Bought a 2nd one but am not going to replace corroded one until changing battery out. Plus is the 2 yr full replace model. I run the Everstart Max 3yr full replace ones and have had good luck with them. All I see is the regular non-sealed sold out ones online.............
Attached Thumbnails Wal-Mart  Everstart Plus 2021 Group 25 battery info-everstart25-3.jpg  

Last edited by 04_Toaster; 07-26-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the everstart max from wallyworld also. Not because they last any longer, but they cost significantly less than the batteries from the other auto chain stores.
The 3 year warrantee is about how long batteries last here in the AZ heat. They die fast too... you may notice a slightly slower crank, then the next is the dreaded click, click, click. Always carry jumper leads in with the spare tire.
Wallyworlds price for engine oil also $20 vs $30 for the same stuff. Very compelling.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:04 AM
SL Member

I skipped trying to find an OEM type battery and run an Odyssey performance battery (Because sound system and other accessories).
Old 08-10-2021, 11:08 AM
SL Member

Also, for those that live in areas with night heat in the summer, loom in to getting an AGM or Gel/Dry Cell type battery like Optima, Odyssey or and others AGM types(They last longer in the heat as well as hold up well to vibration and can be mounted almost anywhere at any angle). They are pricier, but worth it.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:22 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
Amazing - how did you find that? just by walking in??
doing a search on their site shows no group 25 batteries
Walmart is HORRIBLE at displaying current product and availability of their Auto shop.

I searched and searched online - nothing. Only by going in and looking at their wall of batteries.

Stock can vary by region since batteries etc are "designed/optimized" for each region. (E.g.Why CA gets useless washer fluid that freezes with the snow.... While other states get -20° fluid or better.)

My xA shipped with an OEM made in Japan Panasonic sealed agm that lasted a decade. Sadly replaced it with a non-sealed regular battery that out-gassed enough to ruin the paint within a foot in all directions. Had to baking soda and wash it all down before dropping in another battery that didn't didn't do that.

No idea why America puts up with non-AGM batteries for cars.