Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What's that noise? (Aug-2017 edition)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Default What's that noise? (Aug-2017 edition)

Hi all. It's the dreaded "New guy with a question."

I have a 2005 xB with 239,000 miles on it, more or less. In the last month, I had a tire repair which included a full rotation, followed by a belt and water pump replacement. They also did a radiator flush. The next day, we hit the road and a 2000 mile loop of Oregon and Nevada, with no issues.

Last weekend, we had some errands to run around town. It was hot (mid-90s) and I had the AC up to 11. It never did get cool. Sitting a light, the temperature light came on. I killed the AC, and switched it to heat until the light went out. Then we turned the AC/heater off for about 30 minutes. When I turned it back on, it felt much cooler, so we kept it at full cold, with the fan on 2. Then, we headed north for dinner. 30 minutes on the freeway.

It was during this drive that The Noise (TM) started. It only appears when I let off the gas. If I'm under power or breaking, it's not there. It also does it whether I'm in drive or neutral, and it varies with the the speed of the vehicle. The actual sound is like a tapping or light thumping that seems to come from under the center of the dash. At around 40 MPH, it sounds like I'm being strafed by a Spitfire. At 15, I can't hear it at all.

I know basic things about cars, but not how to actually fix anything. What I'm wondering is what the noise might be, and if it's something I need to get checked vs. the car starting to make the same sounds as my knees.

Thanks. Oh, and Hi.