Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   ecu (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/ecu-59432/)

akira 05-18-2006 04:36 AM

ecu

is the stability contorl and abs separate or linked to the ecu or not (im working on something)

toyota_scion_tc 05-18-2006 01:29 PM

Its built into car's ecu, if it comes factory with stability control. The ecu controls it by causing a misfire on a cylinder to allow for lower power output to get traction.

dexter_5000 05-18-2006 08:08 PM

last i learned traction control uses your brakes not a misfire in the engine. otherwise i think you would have a code thrown from other sensors.

dgHotLava 05-18-2006 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
Its built into car's ecu, if it comes factory with stability control. The ecu controls it by causing a misfire on a cylinder to allow for lower power output to get traction.

when trac comes on in my ride i hear a loud BANG BANG BANG....and would feel the wheel being stopped....
this can not be a misfire...

BMW's do the engine control method...not my xB

if trac control did the engine method, why does it communicate with the brake system?

toyota_scion_tc 05-18-2006 08:36 PM

abs stops wheels from locking, traction control is a little different on all cars it does use feedback from the wheel speed sensors but it doesn't do the brake thing. It is controlled misfires not just random ones it kills the spark.

Charliehondamandrivinabox 05-20-2006 05:39 PM

ever notice that your brake pedal losses pressure when trac alarm goes off? because the braking system for trac and stability is a 4 wheel completly proportioned electronicly controlled braking system. The vehicle uses sensor imputs to apply brakes in certain amounts at certain wheels. It uses a electronic proportioning valve and allows the brakes to be applied but only allows fluid to flow to certain brakes that is why there is not a complete loss of pedal pressure like if your brakes went out, but only a really light pedal. Along with that it controls the engine by spark cut or shut off, to decrease the amount of power output from the engine, not a controled misfire, but simular. Atleast that is how the 06 XB and XA is desighned but should be the same for all models and years.

frogbox 05-20-2006 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by dgHotLava

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc

when trac comes on in my ride i hear a loud BANG BANG BANG....and would feel the wheel being stopped....
this can not be a misfire...

BMW's do the engine control method...not my xB

if trac control did the engine method, why does it communicate with the brake system?

wrong , again dg

frogbox 05-20-2006 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charliehondamandrivinabox
ever notice that your brake pedal losses pressure when trac alarm goes off? because the braking system for trac and stability is a 4 wheel completly proportioned electronicly controlled braking system. The vehicle uses sensor imputs to apply brakes in certain amounts at certain wheels. It uses a electronic proportioning valve and allows the brakes to be applied but only allows fluid to flow to certain brakes that is why there is not a complete loss of pedal pressure like if your brakes went out, but only a really light pedal. Along with that it controls the engine by spark cut or shut off, to decrease the amount of power output from the engine, not a controled misfire, but simular. Atleast that is how the 06 XB and XA is desighned but should be the same for all models and years.

correct , this is how it works

Xbilly 05-21-2006 06:06 AM

DG, maybe because of your boost the TRAC system has to use more brakes than n/a would require, so thats what you feel. When my trac comes on it feels like my engine is collapsing.
for some reason i get a misfire code sometimes, when the CEL goes on for that so does the VSC and TRAC lights

IndigoXb 06-13-2006 04:34 AM

if your working on something and you need it off... which i don't recommend or suggest.. just unplug the fuse.. or if you have an xb just unplug the whole unit.. hint its under the shift boot.

metal112524 06-13-2006 05:14 AM

Why dont you suggest turning it off indigo?

itsme 06-13-2006 08:01 AM

is trac control is onlee in the 06 xa's cuzz i dont remember having trac control on the 05 xa cuzz i can sit there and burn da tires till da street is filled with smoke unlike my box where i actually have to turn it off to even attempt it

IndigoXb 06-14-2006 03:24 AM

I'm just making sure that I don't get blamed for any possible mistakes that you could encounter with doing this... not to mention how poorly the Xb handles without the vcs trac and abs.

itsme 06-14-2006 04:46 AM

does the echo ecu have abs?

dgHotLava 06-14-2006 10:45 AM

if it did have ABS (like our xB) it would be a stand alone type.
our ABS is not in the ECU, rather it talks to it.
our ECU is under/behind the glove box.
the ABS is below the ash tray/ forward of the shifter console.
2 systems.