Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: Did this guide help you?
Yes.
100.00%
No.
0%
Doesn't Apply.
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Hard idle and Rev Limitor at 3000RPM

Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post Hard idle and Rev Limitor at 3000RPM

Ok, i am creating this thread to help out people that use Google. After researching this problem all over google, i am placing everything i found right here! I hope for this to be in the search results.

Anyway, if you are experiencing the following for your xB 04-06, I may have a solution! :

-Check Engine Light ON
-"VSC" Light ON
-"TRAC Off" Light ON
-Hard idle. (Feels AND sounds like the engine is sputtering/dying)
-The ability to shift gears, BUT cannot rev the engine past 3000RPM (Very gradual acceleration).
-When revving the engine past 3000RPM, your engine sounds like a lawn mower and goes back to idle speed (When in neutral or drive or park).
-When starting the engine, it revs up to 3000RPM for a second or two and then remains in a hard idle.

Solution:
-Check to see how clean your MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is. You can find this on your intake system.
Here is a picture of where the MAF is located on a stock intake:

PICT1399_0369.jpg?t=1253306262

It is the device on top of the tube, to the left of the battery, with the colored wires connecting it.

Remove the MAF (by the two screws, and unplug the wires) and clean it with some MAF cleaner

Here is what it looks like after removal, if it doesn't look the same, that is probably the wrong device:

PICT1408_0378.jpg?t=1253306964

If this doesn't solve the problem after re-installation, your MAF is BAD.

Go to your local Auto Parts store and buy a new MAF for your car as seen here (which is what I had to do after cleaning).

Once installed, turn on your engine and it should be back to normal (although the lights may remain lit). If your lights stay on...follow these directions on how to reset your Check Engine Lights.

If this does not solve your problem, you should probably take in the car to get it serviced.

BTW, A mass air flow sensor is used to find out the mass of air entering a fuel-injected engine. Without it, your engine cannot run at peak. Due to this, the xB's computer automatically puts the car into "Safe Mode" which limits RPMs at 3000. This is to not harm the engine and maintain its longevity after the repair is complete. Also, 90% of the time your Check Engine light is on, it has to do with some kind of emissions (Exhaust, Intake, etc.) problem.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i tried to start my car with my MAF disconnected and it wouldn't run... starts up but then it shuts off
Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
i tried to start my car with my MAF disconnected and it wouldn't run... starts up but then it shuts off
wow, that is interesting. When i had my MAF disconnected, it did everything mentioned in the OP. because of that, i knew my MAF was bad, so i replaced it.