Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Homemade Intake tube....Honest Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 PM
DSI

Default Homemade Intake tube....Honest Opinions Needed

Here are a couple pics of my intake tube job...kind of done a while ago...seems to work really well, and def made the intake sound alot louder, which i personally love. not necessarily as good lookin as a bought on but lots cheaper...tell me what u guys think...thnx!!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it works it works... I would have maybe just tried to buy some of the generic "spectre" parts at Autozone or something.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yikes. That bend at the MAF looks particularly nasty.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cheaper then 20$ ebay intakes?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

crush bend tubes and seems way too small... u might have lost HP rather than gain.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe if you painted it. It'd look a little bit better.. It doesn't look as bad as you'd think.. Same design as my K&N one.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ That looks to be mimicking the Injen...
Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should of moved that intake vent hose after the maf... instead of before the maf...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is that pipe made out of? Hopefully a metal that does not rust. I give you credit for some ingenuity but I would have used a different material for an intake pipe.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like exhaust pipe, or galvanized fence pipe
Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

barf, that looks disgusting. you get points for getting it to fit, but o have made your car louder, and made your engine bay look ghetto.

i mean seriously, the only viable reason for doing something like that would be if the stock intake house was damaged beyond repair.

sorry, you asked for honest opinions, and to me that just looks gross. could you paint it and make it look better, maybe...but it still has no proven performance.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 AM
DSI

WOW!!! Dont make somethin yourself and show it off on here!! Haha. Thats what i asked for right...

As for the pipe its 3"...what size u guys want? And it is painted, just dirty, and like i said its an OLD mod, prolly over 2 years ago at least.

And drax, i said it made the intake sound louder. to ME thats neater than a loud bumble be sound. Just what i like. And i thought it was neat i made it myself...oh well

Oh and just because i honestly dont nkow why, why are you guys sayin the vent tube should not be where it is? here is what it is modeled after. looks the same to me ??

Any info will be useful!!

Last edited by DSI; 08-12-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

To help keep the MAF sensor clean, you might want to put an inline oil choke on the return feed. That's what most of the big box companies have done. Major props for making your own. The only problems I see are a not so clean capture (reasons listed), the oil filter missing in line with the return feed, and crushed bend rather than mandrel. You should tool up a piece with your name on it and do some simple spot welding. Then do a matt black or glossy color to finish it off. I mean hey, if you are going to make your own, go all out and be ballsy about it.

Now, if you don't like the riced out bee-in-a-box sound, you really should take a look at the Strup V2 exhaust and the Weapon-R 4-2-1 headers. The tone is very rumbly, but no rice burning sounds. The aggressive sounding low rumble mixed with the very smooth snorkeling of the intake makes the box sound very mean. I'd post a sound clip of my setup but I have yet to capture a good sample due to my very weaksauce recording equipment. Every recording I've made cuts out the bottom end rumble that you feel in the chest.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 AM
DSI

Thnx for the advice spoket....But i need a better idea of what you are meanin by an oil filter in the return feed...can u show me where this should be?? cause i honestly dont know!! and where can i get this filter at?? thnx again guys
Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

as long as you like it....
Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 AM
DSI

Originally Posted by Sciond
as long as you like it....
Ya i dont mind it one bit...i like how i did it myself, and love the sound. Just wanna make sure i aint gonna hurt anything so i need advice from u expert XBers!!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i made a intake out of 3" fence post a few months ago on my buddys blazer, it turned out like that one, it might not be as pretty as the ones you can buy off the shelf but you know you did it yourself and i dont think its gonna hurt anything.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by DSI
Thnx for the advice spoket....But i need a better idea of what you are meanin by an oil filter in the return feed...can u show me where this should be?? cause i honestly dont know!! and where can i get this filter at?? thnx again guys
As for where to get it, that one I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure it's a common part for something. Have a look at the YDR Install Guide and you will see the oil choke there.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/diy-ydr-intake-install-32120/
Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
As for where to get it, that one I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure it's a common part for something. Have a look at the YDR Install Guide and you will see the oil choke there.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32120
Here's the part you need: Injen - Inline oil filter defuser (#1041)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/awinter/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/awinter/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
barf, that looks disgusting. your engine bay look ghetto. sorry, you asked for honest opinions, and to me that just looks gross. it still has no proven performance.
Well, when you asked for honest opinions, I thought you had expected "constructive" criticism. Even tho it may not be eye candy, I don't think it's anything some paint couldn't rectify. As far as performance, There is data on CAI of this style that does substantiate proven performance gains. It looks like you were able to replicate the correct bend angle. this is the main criteria for an actual performance gain. Even tho slight, it all adds up in the long run. Take a few moments and pull it out and refinish it with some paint to match your exterior color or get some R/C car chrome paint in a rattle can. Even the aluminum type paint will look good there since it really isn't that out in the open. Or now that you know you can do it, remake one out of aluminum pipe and give it a lil polishing with a buffer and then it will look authentic. It's always kewl when you look at something and know that you made it with your own hands instead of using your hands to merely lay out the cash to purchase a premede part and bolt on. So any points taken away for aesthetics, you have gained triple for fabricating it yourself. And personally I don't think it looks bad enough to get nauseated. keep up the good work and post an updated pic with it refinished. Nice job.

Quick Reply: Homemade Intake tube....Honest Opinions Needed