Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I know this question has already been asked BUT.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default I know this question has already been asked BUT.......

OK im coming into QUITE a bit of money, so.... '
Im looking to UP the performance of my Xb, It is an Auto, with 17 inch fusions. Had a weapon-r intake on it, strut bar,debadged, the black sticker fim around the windows removed, and the ALL important TRD oil cap. But thats as far as ive made it.
Now my question is Supercharger or Turbo, Ive read all te posts and it seems to be in between. Leaning towards s/c though because of the posts.
Exhaust, Sounds like strup has about the best tone???
Any other mods you guys/girls can think of?? NOS?? Dont really want to do any EXTRA engine work. So the motor would remain stock. Not looking for a 10 sec. car or anything just a little quicker than what it is now. Thanks for all the responses in advance. feel free to msge me with any suggestions Thanks again
Old 04-27-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

p.e. supercharger , headers , and custom cat back exhaust. maybe re-grind the cams. cam controller , lightweight crank pulley , weight removal. bam.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ knows what he's talking about.

Since you have an auto, you would benefit more from a supercharger. Turbos are peaky and best left for manual trannies.

Axlebacks like the Strup, DC, and other brands are for sound. Performance gains are very minimal. Get a custom catback for true performance gains. 2 - 2.25 in piping from the cat to the muffler would be ideal, any more and you'll lose torque in the bottom end (that is unless you go FI)

I would throw in some suspension components like the Progress rear sway bar, some linear down springs (or coilovers of you can afford them). No perfomance mod is worthwhile if you can't plant it to the ground efficiently.

Weight removal isn't necessary unless you go all out i.e. door panels, seats, interior, etc. Other than that, carbon fiber is expensive and purely show pieces.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Basically, no one can tell you what to get. Both have advantages and disadvantages. If you don't know what they are, it's probably wise to research the topic more before making a decision (it is a hard one, I know). I think one of the biggest questions at this point is, do you want something that is bolt on out of the box? Or do you want to do a lot of work on your own.....and have custom stuff done?

So far, we KNOW there are super charger kits for the xB. As far as I have been able to find......there's not a single truly complete turbo kit available yet........which is likely why you don't see many posts raving about turbo Scions. So if you want to go turbo, you may be building the kit on your own (or with the help of a shop that does custom turbo set ups). If you shop smart though, you could end up with a much more complete turbo kit with more potential than a supercharger.....for possibly less money.

The only thing is, if you're going to stick with stock internals, the evidence seems to suggest you are probably stuck with about 6-7 psi if you want to maintain decent reliability. Some have pushed the engines further without encountering problems yet.......emphasis on the word yet.........others haven't been so lucky. So all that potential you have in a well built turbo kit may not be realized if you don't want to touch the internals.

But.....6-7 psi might be all you want. If that is the case, and you want easy and reliable.........go with the Power Enterprises supercharger. It is still a pretty penny of a peice though. If you got the cash, and it's what you want.......go supercharger. If you just really don't know what you want.........save that money until you are very sure. As far as I'm concerned, turbo or supercharger is too expensive to find out you'd rather have something else.

KiL
Old 04-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I'd go w/ the PE S/C. Then do the header and custom 2.25 inch exhaust. But that's just me, and I'm not an experet by any means.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh dont be modest brad....im gonna have to agree with lou on this, esp with an auto, also stick to stuff youll want for a while....so that this coming into moiney issue doesnt bring you regrets later.....

brent

of brad, btw motor work is starting next week....hehehe sleeper washing machine here i come
Old 04-27-2005, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Supercharger hands down. In order to get the most out of a turbo, you need a fairly high reving red line motor. Not to say you wont gain from buying one, but you would see much more whp gain off of a supercharger with a 1.5 that redlines around 6,200-6,400. Not to mention, if you went with a turbo it would have to be completely custom for the fact no one has a turbo in production for the Xb. Greddy has one out, but dont be fooled, its for the Toyota Bb and the set ups are probably much more different than you would like to believe. Im actually going with the power enterprises supercharger myself by the end of the year. Blitz has a great one out too, dont let people down Blitz.

Blitz final dyno run: 123whp
Power Enterprises final dyno run: 125whp

They have been both ran under a pretty much stock motor, except the intercoolers and everything that surrounds the process of a supercharger. The highest dyno run in an Xb i've seen was 145whp, which of course if its your daily driver, i wouldn't go higher than that. My goal is between 135whp-150whp.

At any rate, i'd definitely recommend a supercharger over turbocharger any day for our cars. Good luck and keep everyone posted! BTW, im moving to NE Florida! Sarasota!
Old 04-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tinybigrig
oh dont be modest brad....im gonna have to agree with lou on this, esp with an auto, also stick to stuff youll want for a while....so that this coming into moiney issue doesnt bring you regrets later.....

brent

of brad, btw motor work is starting next week....hehehe sleeper washing machine here i come
Brent, hmm, I need some pistons and rods............ The cams and crank I'm not too worried about, then its the fuel management. Injectors are covered, its just the darn ECU.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly i know this is kinda off topic but heck i would put the money down and pay alot or all the car off if you havent yet IMO but if your like over that then yeah what killerxromances and M-Flo said is important. i donno just knowing i dont have a car payment would make me feel better IMO good luck eaither way you decide.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Centrifugal superchargers have more "lag" than turbos. Your points are all from misguided anti-truths that are floating around the internet. Lets see one of these S/C'd Scion's try to step up to me. We can go from a roll, from a dig, from 12mph, from 100mph.

Turbochargers are not free power by any means, but they are superior in many ways.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I didn't have any misguided anti-truth points.

KiL
Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by jdaniels
Centrifugal superchargers have more "lag" than turbos. Your points are all from misguided anti-truths that are floating around the internet. Lets see one of these S/C'd Scion's try to step up to me. We can go from a roll, from a dig, from 12mph, from 100mph.

Turbochargers are not free power by any means, but they are superior in many ways.
Hey man Everyone has mixed feelings on t/c and s/c so just let people think what they think. everyone will argue till the dawn of hell if we let them. how about this turbo and super charged. VERY nice .
Old 04-29-2005, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by jdaniels

Hey man Everyone has mixed feelings on t/c and s/c so just let people think what they think. everyone will argue till the dawn of hell if we let them. how about this turbo and super charged. VERY nice .
Feelings don't have anything to do with hard facts. I just cannot understand why people bother to argue points that they don't even BEGIN to fathom. If you want a supercharger, thats cool. Get the supercharger. Cool.

The problem I have is not with the comparison of different forms of F/I... the problem is that people that have NO IDEA AT ALL about how certain types of forced induction perform will chime in and ____ in everyone elses cornflakes with their BS theory and lead everyone else to believe it too.The truth is these theorys SUCK. They are make-believe. They are not based on any type of datalogging, testing, or even WRITTEN FACT. They are all just assumptions made off of theoretic BS that someone else on the internet made up one day. Stop believing it.

Sometimes I wonder why I even post on here anymore. For every well educated post, there is 952,048 posts filled with made up fairytale BS.

POINT BEING.... I am just tired of seeing falsities plastered all over the net regarding these topics, I don't like seeing people get misguided because of it.

I'm done.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
BTW, im moving to NE Florida! Sarasota!
I think that's SW Florida. Anyway, glad to have ya
Old 05-07-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

warning: i have no personal experience with FI scions, so take my post for what it is.

how can centrifugal superchargers have lag if they are belt driven, they may make their boost later in the powerband but there is no "lag" its the linear nature of them

I have always leaned towords turbos as the way to go, more efficient, tunable and upgradable. im no mechanic (although I will be).considering the limited gained to be had from this engine without building internals, i think superchagers are the way to go on this car for sure. like i said im still learning about all this so bare with me if im way off base. superchargers have a more linear power output and i know turbos can be a _____ to tune. considering how sensitive this car is to boost already, i wouldnt want to worry about all that detonation and boost surges (am i right here?) i dont know a whole bunch about superchargers but i know they tend to be more conservative and more of a bolt on affair, and relativly easy to tune? ive been a little long winded sorry lol

bottom line
pe supercharger, header, 2.5 cat back ect...and work over the suspension like theres no tommorow, it will pay dividens more than some extra power. and lightwieght lug nuts, cant forget the lightweight lug nuts
Old 05-07-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SUPERCHARGER!

and yes, I do know that all caps is the internet equivalent of screaming...
Old 05-07-2005, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bottom line is you should modify your car according to what you want, and not get what people tell you to get. Really make it your own. Opinions can be very helpful, but it really pays to do your own research.
some people on here really know what they are talking about (im not one of them) while others are just talking.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joe52985
warning: i have no personal experience with FI scions, so take my post for what it is.

how can centrifugal superchargers have lag if they are belt driven, they may make their boost later in the powerband but there is no "lag" its the linear nature of them

I have always leaned towords turbos as the way to go, more efficient, tunable and upgradable. im no mechanic (although I will be).considering the limited gained to be had from this engine without building internals, i think superchagers are the way to go on this car for sure. like i said im still learning about all this so bare with me if im way off base. superchargers have a more linear power output and i know turbos can be a _____ to tune. considering how sensitive this car is to boost already, i wouldnt want to worry about all that detonation and boost surges (am i right here?) i dont know a whole bunch about superchargers but i know they tend to be more conservative and more of a bolt on affair, and relativly easy to tune? ive been a little long winded sorry lol

bottom line
pe supercharger, header, 2.5 cat back ect...and work over the suspension like theres no tommorow, it will pay dividens more than some extra power. and lightwieght lug nuts, cant forget the lightweight lug nuts
There is a reason why I said "lag" and not lag. It's not the best word for it, but it still fits the bill.

Here is a snip from a very reputable custom shop's article on the arguement:

"The turbocharger spins much faster than the centrifugal supercharger, to build as much boost as possible at low rpm, with the wastegate to prevent overboost at higher rpm. Turbo fans prefer it over the centrifugal supercharger in this respect, because the centrifugal makes almost nothing at low rpm (the centrifugal is designed for power at the high end)."

Are they linear? Sure. But at lower RPMS they cannot spin fast enough to compress. Once they start to compress, it becomes a linear affair. The lack of usable positive pressures are what induces the "lag" effect.

Case in point -- if you want a centrifugal supercharger, theres already one thats on the market that works pretty good (PE). But if you want some serious power, build a custom turbo setup.

If all goes well this season, I will be manufacturing a complete turbocharger kit for a reasonable price. This is, of course, when I get my TIG welder paid for.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't twin screw s/c (Blitz) provide boost at low rpms?
I think they do, but dont offer quite as much in the high end
Old 05-08-2005, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes, twin screw style superchargers move a fixed amount of air per revolution...........so boost is immediate.

But...........look at a supercharger this way. A supercharger is using energy that would have been used by your crankshaft to turn the wheels. So, you're taking power to make power. This is why you end up with "parasitic power loss"..........the major downside to a supercharger, in my opinion. But, superchargers have their upsides, and their place.

A turbo basically recycles lost power (the energy that is lost as exhaust).

So, you can really go on forever (and people have, are, and will continue to do so) about which is "better." Better, however, really comes down to what will suit your needs and desires. To you, better might be simplicity. Or maybe, better equals maximum horsepower potential.

In the end, you really just gotta do what you want.....with your decision hopefully being based on some education in the matter. What I'm saying is...........don't get something because someone told you to.

KiL

Quick Reply: I know this question has already been asked BUT.......