Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Last exhuast questions before buying

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default Last exhuast questions before buying

ok, getting my refund soon, 600 in total

Ive almost made up my mind on the precision muffler axleback. just a few more questions before i do.

1.) whats the difference between the gen1 and the gen2 axleback?

2.)Is there a sound clip of the exhuast revving high? like 4.5 to 6k rpm the only ones i can find are of the auto at idle. I have the videos of them on the road but cant hear it very well.

3.)is it louder than the trd? I would like it to be (ill prolly catch slack for saying this) really loud. but ocassionaly my dad needs to use it, so is there a silencer availiable?

4) if i want it really loud, is this the exhaust for me?

this is the first time im buying something big for my car, ive never modded one (i bought a shift ****!!!) so im scared/excited/confused

one last thing, what kind of lowering springs would you reccomend? is 600 enough for the exhuast springs and intake? thanks for the help guys
Old 02-01-2005, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

600 is only enough if you dont overspend on that precisionmuffler axle back . custom cat back for cheaper. !!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes, you could get both for that price, less even.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 differences are straight tip vs angled tip.

The car will draw plenty of attention without needing a loud exhaust. Also, the loud exhaust is like a mating call for the cops to come find you. Also every hopped up ricer's gonna wanna race your 108 hp... The TRD is a higher note, IMO.

If you want it really loud, this probably isn't the exhaust for you, take Hotbox's advice and get something custom made. Tell them you want it loud and I'm sure they can accomodate. I would recommend riding in someone's car with the sound of exhaust you are looking for and see how much the car vibrates and drones at certain speeds
Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

u can make a custom made catback to be quiet , with my silencer in it is quite quiet , if i were to have re-used the stock resonator i could be quuiet without the silencer in my muffler, i like it , quiet when i want and loud when i dont , lol . oh and a lil dynamat can cure droning and vibrations , it's a good idea to dynamat these tinny lil cars.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

im thinking and thinking and the more i think the more i realize that I dont like getting pulled over. I see people with superloud exhuasts getting pulled over all the time around here. I can live with semi loud as long as the note is nice. the intake should add to it quite nicley anyway right? thanks for the advice guys but damnit stylis, i want a sound clip!!!!! lol
Old 02-01-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by joe52985
im thinking and thinking and the more i think the more i realize that I dont like getting pulled over. I see people with superloud exhuasts getting pulled over all the time around here. I can live with semi loud as long as the note is nice. the intake should add to it quite nicley anyway right? thanks for the advice guys but damnit stylis, i want a sound clip!!!!! lol
If you don't want to get pulled over than I have to push you to the precisionmuffler.com auto axle back. The auto axle back is a lot quieter and you will never have to worry about it being to loud or to quiet. Thats the one I recomend to you. And there is a special on it right now. I can have one shipped out to you this week. Yes I know I need some new sound clips, dam camera of mine sucks for sound clips.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I agree I'm getting the one from precisionmuffler.com too. Great price and Magnaflow is a great muffler and company. I have the Magnaflow cat-back on my truck and love it. You don't want anything too damn loud IMO. That will get old quick! I had some glasspacks on my 94 Dodge truck when I was 16 and I was the same way, I wanted something loud! And those glasspacks with the convertor cut off was loud as hell!! I loved it for about a week and then hated it. It was just too damn loud. But just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:18 PM

If you plan to DIY install the exhaust and springs, you can save yourself enough to get a Short ram intake :D

Old 02-01-2005, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by cloudnine
If you plan to DIY install the exhaust and springs, you can save yourself enough to get a Short ram intake :D
Werd the exhaust is easy to install youself but with the springs I got my GF's dad to do it. He owns a shop and he said he would usually charge around $120 or so to install coils.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

There are differences in mufflers also.

One muffler I recently replaced was a "race series" type that had a larger core and shorter silencer, thus the louder note.

By using a different muffler and sometimes even a true resonator and not a glasspack, you can get a pretty quiet note, yet it will still be low and throaty.

I was wondering why this set-up was so LOUD, so I checked out the pieces that were installed.