Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   My xB dies in the rain (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/my-xb-dies-rain-237388/)

Galkej 07-12-2019 01:14 AM

My xB dies in the rain

Problem: my 2006 xB dies after it rains. I can start it fine, but after I come to the first stop sign, break hard, or drive down a hill, it will not accelerate at all, then slowly recover to full power again. I literally stall in intersections. Charcoal canister parts have all been replaced, and I ran the vehicle while spraying water with a squirt gun in the engine compartment but cannot reproduce it. Help. No codes.

62Fender 07-12-2019 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Galkej (Post 4294716)
... I ran the vehicle while spraying water with a squirt gun in the engine compartment but cannot reproduce it. Help. No codes.

Sounds like the moisture is drying before the system can trigger a code. It's either a very small amount of moisture and or heat is speeding up the drying process. I would check 'hot' connections such as oxygen sensors and or ignition coils.

Do you fave an aftermarket CAI? Some don't have safeguards for moisture.

Galkej 07-12-2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 62Fender (Post 4294725)
Sounds like the moisture is drying before the system can trigger a code. It's either a very small amount of moisture and or heat is speeding up the drying process. I would check 'hot' connections such as oxygen sensors and or ignition coils.

Do you fave an aftermarket CAI? Some don't have safeguards for moisture.

Thanks for the reply. What is a CAI? Cold air intake? The original one may have been replaced bot too long ago after my most recent fender-bender.

62Fender 07-12-2019 09:27 PM

Sorry about the abbreviation. Cold air intakes have a long tube that extends to the bottom of the fender well. They're vulnerable to water puddles.

Galkej 07-12-2019 09:32 PM

Got it. My caps for the void area in the front cowl (for fog lights) are also missing, which also would not help the situation. So, other than plugging up my front cowl holes, what should I do to the AIC parts themselves, in order to minimize moisture intake?

62Fender 07-12-2019 10:58 PM

Good question. I'm not familiar with cold air intakes. If plugging the cowl holes doesn't help, your problem may not be the CAI.

If you're able to verify that the CAI is the culprit, I'd consider replacing it with a short ram intake or an OEM intake.

BTW, if your CAI is indeed sucking up water, be careful not to drive through standing puddles. Water can cause hydro lock which might bend a piston rod and or damage the cylinder head. Either or both would require major engine repair(s).

MileHightC 07-13-2019 09:03 PM

It's the holes in the bumpers where the fog lights go that no longer have caps on them...someone was kind to borrow the bumper cover on the driver's side of my xB, obviously felt they needed it more than I did, and I've got a short ram intake. I was driving in the rain one day and the car started doing the same yours is doing. Duct tape is your friend in this case, at least until you get new covers for the fog light holes.h