Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My xB dies in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 AM

Default My xB dies in the rain

Problem: my 2006 xB dies after it rains. I can start it fine, but after I come to the first stop sign, break hard, or drive down a hill, it will not accelerate at all, then slowly recover to full power again. I literally stall in intersections. Charcoal canister parts have all been replaced, and I ran the vehicle while spraying water with a squirt gun in the engine compartment but cannot reproduce it. Help. No codes.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Galkej
... I ran the vehicle while spraying water with a squirt gun in the engine compartment but cannot reproduce it. Help. No codes.
Sounds like the moisture is drying before the system can trigger a code. It's either a very small amount of moisture and or heat is speeding up the drying process. I would check 'hot' connections such as oxygen sensors and or ignition coils.

Do you fave an aftermarket CAI? Some don't have safeguards for moisture.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Sounds like the moisture is drying before the system can trigger a code. It's either a very small amount of moisture and or heat is speeding up the drying process. I would check 'hot' connections such as oxygen sensors and or ignition coils.

Do you fave an aftermarket CAI? Some don't have safeguards for moisture.
Thanks for the reply. What is a CAI? Cold air intake? The original one may have been replaced bot too long ago after my most recent fender-bender.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry about the abbreviation. Cold air intakes have a long tube that extends to the bottom of the fender well. They're vulnerable to water puddles.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Got it. My caps for the void area in the front cowl (for fog lights) are also missing, which also would not help the situation. So, other than plugging up my front cowl holes, what should I do to the AIC parts themselves, in order to minimize moisture intake?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good question. I'm not familiar with cold air intakes. If plugging the cowl holes doesn't help, your problem may not be the CAI.

If you're able to verify that the CAI is the culprit, I'd consider replacing it with a short ram intake or an OEM intake.

BTW, if your CAI is indeed sucking up water, be careful not to drive through standing puddles. Water can cause hydro lock which might bend a piston rod and or damage the cylinder head. Either or both would require major engine repair(s).
Old 07-13-2019, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

It's the holes in the bumpers where the fog lights go that no longer have caps on them...someone was kind to borrow the bumper cover on the driver's side of my xB, obviously felt they needed it more than I did, and I've got a short ram intake. I was driving in the rain one day and the car started doing the same yours is doing. Duct tape is your friend in this case, at least until you get new covers for the fog light holes.h