Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   need some advice with exhaust (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/need-some-advice-exhaust-171676/)

elpin 09-18-2009 05:43 PM

need some advice with exhaust

i want a new exhaust but i know nothing about anything.

i want a preformance exhaust is about all i know.
advice, warnings, ect. please, thank you.

my06tc 09-18-2009 06:29 PM

whats your budget

are u lookin for OEM style lookin exhasut or big can exhaust

exhasut wont do much as far as performance mostly sound....

what car do u have......im pretty sure theres a bunch of threads on this..i really hope you searched before you posted this...i mean theres so much to know and what your lookin for

tCscotty 09-18-2009 11:07 PM

Exhaust wont give you any big gains on horsepower, but its a start.

If your looking for an easy exhaust to put on. Go with an axle back.

P.S. If you look in my sig I have one for sale :lalala:

IowaSciontist 09-18-2009 11:14 PM

Yeah, exhaust for our cars is pretty pointless for a power gainer unless you have more to go with it. Say maybe 1-2 hp on a stock car. But again, what's your budget? What do you want it to sound like? DO NOT buy a fart can by APC from Pep Boys, Autozone or what ever you have around you. THEY ARE LOUD, R!C EY and annoying. Plus you will get laughed at. HKS, GReddy, and Tanabe make good stuff. Invidia isn't bad either. All can be gotten from Ebay. Look to spend around $200 for legit stuff. Some guys like the others as well. Some guys run stock exhaust with nice tips or Boso style tips. AGAIN, stay away from the mainstream parts stores for these, buy nice ones.

Now, if you have a large budget, you can import from Japan. I have a Ganador on mine, and there are other nice ones by Fabulous, Garson, Kakimoto and more. But they will cost you. I have over $600 with shipping into my Ganador. But wouldn't trade it for anything. It's titanium, light, quiet, and low toned. Some of the Garson ones can run over $1000.

kewlbox 09-19-2009 03:06 AM

Don't forget STRUP, i love mine.

spr0k3t 09-20-2009 05:38 AM

Lovin' my Strup v2... coupled with the Weapon-R header... it's nice and smooth sounding.

daneisthegreatest 09-20-2009 06:34 AM

id say Greddy evo 2 or just the TRD exhaust, both sound great

Sciond 09-20-2009 04:45 PM

jI would do intake with exhaust at a minimum..great advice above I run the Precision Muffler set up

burstaneurysm 09-20-2009 05:31 PM

As it's been stated, you're not going to get any real power out of an exhaust, just the sound. I run a Greddy SP2 and I love it, it's very tame, but can roar if you get on the throttle. It really depends on what you want, I've been through three... TRD, Precision and the SP2.

1epoXyBox 09-22-2009 05:19 PM

Toyota TRD or Precision Muffler are good choices. The TRD fits in there exactly like the stock which is nice. The Precision muffler hangs down a bit further, but has a nice low tone to it.

CBSIMONSEZ 09-23-2009 12:11 AM

Lets not forget Borla. TRD is Borla anyway, and the tone is nice compared to some i have heard. And its stainless.

bB384 09-23-2009 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ (Post 3307814)
Lets not forget Borla. TRD is Borla anyway, and the tone is nice compared to some i have heard. And its stainless.

Can you confirm this?

Go with any brand that doesnt require anything other than a wrench to install; Apexi, Greddy, HKS, Tanabe, TRD, Borla, Strup etc... If you have to have it welded on its going to sound like crap. If you mess with the mid pipe it will sound like crap. Keep it simple and clean.

jct 09-23-2009 04:08 PM

i have my custom exhaust system welded in... it just sounds lot lower and awesome

just keep the stock header on cause you'll get lot of exhaust drone into the cabin...

elpin 09-25-2009 05:46 PM

alot of great advice thanks i can begin the ebay search now. thanks.

RedneckwithanxB 09-25-2009 06:47 PM

If you replace the header and go with the borla cat back you will be right up there in awesome... the sound is perfect (confirmed) and its not huge and tasteless...

although if you really want some serious flow, get rid of the cat and resinator

jct 09-25-2009 07:23 PM

straight pipe all the way

RedneckwithanxB 09-25-2009 08:04 PM

Glasspack FTW! thats what I have... at 3500-3700 rpm on the highway it sounds like an old radial engine aircraft at takeoff

Zman 09-25-2009 08:21 PM

Haha I have Burstaneurysm's Precision and I love it.

CBSIMONSEZ 09-27-2009 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by bB384 (Post 3308476)
Can you confirm this?

Go with any brand that doesnt require anything other than a wrench to install; Apexi, Greddy, HKS, Tanabe, TRD, Borla, Strup etc... If you have to have it welded on its going to sound like crap. If you mess with the mid pipe it will sound like crap. Keep it simple and clean.

it was or is here somewhere in SL land. I found this out years ago, before i bought my Borla. When you have been here on SL for as long as i have you tend to forget where you place things. But, i am 100% sure that at one time ( and i would think still ) Borla was making TRD exhausts.