Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   OCV Oil Control Valve (VVT Solenoid) and Filter Question (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/ocv-oil-control-valve-vvt-solenoid-filter-question-235133/)

05xboxer 07-19-2017 06:03 PM

OCV Oil Control Valve (VVT Solenoid) and Filter Question

1. Have an 05 Scion xB. I removed the Oil Control Valve (sometimes called the Variable Valve Timing VVT Solenoid) that is located on the right side of the alternator. I was wondering if there was a second valve for the Scion since I know some Toyotas have 2 valves.

2. I thought that the OCR valve FILTER was located just below the OCR, but when I unscrewed that 8mm hex bolt with my Allen wrench, I do not see a filter! Is the filter somehow located deep inside. IF YES, how do I get the filter out?

Thanks for any help

_____

05xboxer 07-19-2017 10:56 PM

Update

Ok...I was able to see inside the hole that the 8mm hex bolt was in. The tip of the filter is about 1/2 inch inside. I used a stiff wire to slide inside of the hole and snag the filter to pull out. I bent the very tip of the wire to make a hook. You might be able to use the right size fish hook.

The filter was clean, and the solenoid works when tested on a 12 volt battery. BUT it is possible that the valve itself may have hung up inside the shaft instead of sliding in and out easily as it should. I will know more when I replace it when my new valve arrives in a couple of days.

Anyway, I would still like to know if the 05 Scion has 2 of those Oil Control Valves or not. Thanks

05xboxer 07-25-2017 01:05 AM

Update 2

The filter screen was 90% clean so I sprayed with a can of carb cleaner anyway. Next I replaced the Oil Control thingeee. It is called an "Engine Variable Timing Solenoid" at Autozone. Car still cranks but will not start. Next I will be double checking all fuses and connections. At this point I am beginning to suspect the ECU since I got a ton of codes all at once when this first happened and vehicle failed to start. I am hoping that it is not the camshaft gear wheel since that is the one part that I may not want to chance replacing by myself... and of course it is an expensive repair.

Grateful for anyone with suggestions that may have had this problem.

05xboxer 07-10-2019 12:57 AM

07-09-19 it has been 2 years. The reason the car would not start was because somehow my ECU came partially unplugged....This is why I had a ton of codes. After securing it, it started right up. The only thing I can think of is that the last time it started, the heater fan blower made a loud noise like there was something rubbing on the fan cage. That problem somehow had something to do with all of this. Maybe I accidently dislodged the ECU connection when investigating the problem with the heater blower. Wasted a lot of time on something so dumb!