Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   P0441 Code (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/p0441-code-235656/)

KiltedV6Pony 12-29-2017 08:25 PM

P0441 Code

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sci...e5cf48363.jpeg

Please stick with me on this, I’ve been searching non stop between Google and several forums (used the search on the forum) and can’t find anything specific enough for what I’m dealing with.

My girlfriend has an 06 xB that is 100% stock with 230k on it, she got it from her step dad in 2015 and maintainence has been questionable at best.

For the past year or so her car has had the VSC, Trac Off and CEL on, the code that Autozone got was P0174 which is Air/Fuel Mixture too lean Bank 2.
I bought my own scanner and didn’t get that but got P0441 which is Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.

Gas cap gasket seems fine, I can’t find and hoses with cracks, breaks or that are disconnected. The only thing I could find is a wire that broke free but not sure if it would throw the code(s).

I checked Live Data and nothing seems drastically out of range given the car and mileage.

Can someone look at the picture and tell me if this wire could possibly throw the code, we’re in a slight bind because she needs to register the car but can’t because she won’t pass inspection again.

Any help or direction would be appreciated because the only one trying to help her is the “Google/forum/YouTube mechanic” while her friends who are actually mechanics make no attempt at helping.

If anyone needs Live Data or spefic just let me know and I’ll post.

Thanks,

damnimcold2 01-02-2018 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by KiltedV6Pony (Post 4284571)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sci...e5cf48363.jpeg

Please stick with me on this, I’ve been searching non stop between Google and several forums (used the search on the forum) and can’t find anything specific enough for what I’m dealing with.

My girlfriend has an 06 xB that is 100% stock with 230k on it, she got it from her step dad in 2015 and maintainence has been questionable at best.

For the past year or so her car has had the VSC, Trac Off and CEL on, the code that Autozone got was P0174 which is Air/Fuel Mixture too lean Bank 2.
I bought my own scanner and didn’t get that but got P0441 which is Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.

Gas cap gasket seems fine, I can’t find and hoses with cracks, breaks or that are disconnected. The only thing I could find is a wire that broke free but not sure if it would throw the code(s).

I checked Live Data and nothing seems drastically out of range given the car and mileage.

Can someone look at the picture and tell me if this wire could possibly throw the code, we’re in a slight bind because she needs to register the car but can’t because she won’t pass inspection again.

Any help or direction would be appreciated because the only one trying to help her is the “Google/forum/YouTube mechanic” while her friends who are actually mechanics make no attempt at helping.

If anyone needs Live Data or spefic just let me know and I’ll post.

Thanks,

that will do it...same happen to my car about a year ago. i tried to solder it but wouldnt hold...found that plug piece on ebay with a pigtail that had enough to solder to.

damnimcold2 01-02-2018 01:48 AM

actual part is
OEM Denso Toyota Lexus Scion Vacuum Switch Valve Purge Valve Part#90910-12276

really u just want the pigtail but if you can get valve and pigtail might as well replace. i got both for around $35 used . just want to make sure somehow wires are not dry and brittle before purchase, as that is what causes them to break in the first place.

KiltedV6Pony 01-02-2018 10:35 PM

Hey, so I found the plug at my local junk yard, luckily for me it was from an 06 xB which is obviously preferred. I clipped the wire as far back as my hand could reach and spliced it using crimps for now because it’s too damn cold in the north east to try and solder outside right now. I cleared the CEL, all systems are online but the EVAP so here’s hoping. If not I’ll get a new VSV and try that, possible it’s dead after all this time being down. ::fingers crossed::

damnimcold2 01-03-2018 02:49 AM

if you didnt already...id see what disconnecting the negative battery for a few minutes and reconnecting does. but id probably plan on changing out the purge valve.

good job on hunting down the wires btw. took awhile on mine...i crawled under car looking at canister and hoses several times. then after lots of googling and snooping around my car i found the wire snapped like yours. with new one i tried to ziptie the wire so it had minimal vibration.

KiltedV6Pony 01-05-2018 07:57 PM

Alrighty, due to some problems with kids in hospitals I had some delay in this. But I finally drove around today and the CEL popped on with VSC and Trac Off. But now I’m getting P0102 and no longer showing P0441. So I’m hoping that P0441 is finally clear.

lets get to tracking this down now.

KiltedV6Pony 01-10-2018 03:34 PM

An oil change cleared the CEL from P0012 and set the monitor to ready. Was able to get it to pass inspection but it’s now showing a pending code for P0012 again.
Thanks for your help.

RichBinAZ 01-13-2018 12:40 PM

I would guess it's the crimped connections making intermittent contact. Soldering them up would be best. Used to be able to get that stuff at Radio shack, Ace hardware may be your only convenient local source now.

KiltedV6Pony 01-13-2018 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ (Post 4284767)
I would guess it's the crimped connections making intermittent contact. Soldering them up would be best. Used to be able to get that stuff at Radio shack, Ace hardware may be your only convenient local source now.

She’s likely trading it in after tax time, it’s 233k and it honestly wasn’t maintained by her step dad (although he claims it was). I’m still on the fence about doing brakes and the lower control arm because I don’t want to keep plugging time, money and blood if she’s trading in.But if she has it past tax time I’ll likely solder when it’s warmer and knock out all brakes and the control arm.