Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

P705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRND2L) Input

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Default P705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRND2L) Input

Hey guys, this is my first thread and post so hello.

Ok I asked this question over on ClubXb.com and got 70 views and no replies. Over the last month or so I have been getting random VSC and Trac Off lights come on and then reset and go off when my box is turned off but come back as I said randomly, but here lately it's gotten bad. My box will be driving fine and suddenly it tries to go into neutral and revs then kicks back into drive while jerking at the same time, that's when it actually throws the CEL. I put the scanner to it and got the P705 code.

I replaced the P/N Safety Switch with the built in Range Sensor and it was fine for two days but the problems came back. Another interesting note, my O/D button won't work sometimes and there is a loud click sound that comes from the shifter area everytime I press the brake, not sure if that is normal or not.

Edit: I just wanted to see if the ECM was seeing a different gear than what it was actually in and I used the reverse gear, but the reverse lights lit up and moved like normal so that is telling that the range sensor is right?

I'm at a stalemate and I need you guys input and genius to get me out of this mess because I REALLY DO NOT want to have to drive my moms POS Taurus to work. Again, hi and I look forward to learning with you!

Last edited by RedScare; 01-24-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it happen in all gear positions, or only D? What about in 2 or L?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM

I havent tried it in 2 or L since I never put it in those gears. I need to try that. It doesn't do it in R.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM

Well, I broke down and took it to the dealership. They checked everything and concluded that I have a bad ECM, so cost to fix? BAM! I was quoted $1,381! Looking for suggestions on where I can look for a more decently priced ECM. Supposedly they aren;t that hard to replace, just the unit costing a gold brick at the dealership.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats strange. Maybe from a pick and pull? (aka junk yard)
Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like the part used is around $100. Price range on ebay is $50 to $130 right now. Amazon usually has them used. Lots of used parts dealers on the internet as well, some more reputable than others.

My brother-in-law owned a Volvo repair shop and if you think the price of a new scion ecm is high, you should see the price for a volvo ($3k or more). As you can imagine, they put in used ecm's all the time. Did they like it when the customer bought a new one? You bet. But they also made plenty of money installing used ones. I think ecm's sometimes have to be programmed depending on the vehicle. Hopefully someone here has the scion-specific info you need.

Last edited by bearsnob; 01-30-2013 at 05:56 AM.