Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   Perrin Pulley Installation Guide (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/perrin-pulley-installation-guide-24786/)

Travst 05-08-2005 05:23 PM

Perrin Pulley Installation Guide

There have been a couple of threads posted on the pros/cons of installing a lightweight crank pulley. I took some pics of my installation and will offer a couple of tips that you might find useful.

Step 1: Jack up the car and set your jackstands in place. Remove the passenger side front wheel.

Step 2: Loosen the bolts holding the alternator in place. This will allow the serpentine belt to loosen easily. While you're in there, admire the "Mikochu Über Ground Wire System." If you don't have one, make it your next project.

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...ulley_0031.jpg

There are bolts securing the adjustment arm and a bolt beneath that's fairly difficult to reach.

Step 3: Remove the plastic bay cover on the passenger side. It is secured by two bolts under the lip in the wheel well and two screws beneath the front lip. The Step 4 pic shows the location of the bolt holes in the wheel well.

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...ulley_0011.jpg

This will expose the crank pulley.

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...Pulley_002.jpg

Step 4: Set a large screwdriver or a brake tool between the spokes of the stock pulley and set a large wrench or ratchet on the 19mm bolt securing the pulley to the crank.

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...ulley_0041.jpg

Wrench hard and remove the bolt. The stock pulley can be easily removed at this point.

Step 5: Install the new pulley. Mine is a Perrin unit. The pulley has a hole for the key on the crank.
Tip: I removed the belt from the power steering pulley and installed the Perrin pulley, keeping the main serpentine belt pulled away from the crank. Re-install the crank bolt and finger tighten.

Step 6: Reinstall the power steering belt.
Tip: With one hand, set the belt on the PS pulley. With the other, tighten the bolt on your new crank pulley. Gradually turn each pulley until the PS belt is properly located in its groove. No screwdriver needed!

Step 7: Reinstall the serpentine belt. Use the same technique as described in Step 6 above.

Step 8: Retighten the crank pulley bolt and the alternator adjustment bolts.

Check for fit at this point and start the engine. I added a bit of belt dressing on each of the belts.

Step 9: Go for a drive. You deserve it.

mikochu 05-08-2005 05:25 PM

Looks good! I added it to the tech section. I'll move it to the FAQ forum in a few days. Thanks!

djct_watt 05-09-2005 06:13 AM

do you like it?

hotbox05 05-09-2005 06:28 AM

is it easy enought to do with hand tools? or is it just too damned difficult?

Munch 05-09-2005 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by hotbox05
is it easy enought to do with hand tools? or is it just too damned difficult?

It's pretty easy with or without power tools.

Travst 05-09-2005 04:00 PM

Agreed, you can do it without power tools.

As for the "Do I like it... " It's hard to tell if it provides any performance gain. I've already added an intake, header and exhaust, so the minor performance gain due to the pulley may not be able to be determined using the seat of my pants. Several people have reported that they feel the engine revs quicker - I'll be posting some dyno results on everything I've done in the future and that may provide an indication of what you can expect by swapping out all of these components.

I don't mean to be vague, but I don't have any hard numbers that prove there is a performance increase due to the pulley because I didn't dyno the car before the installation.

djct_watt 05-09-2005 04:06 PM

thanks for the educated reply. Can't wait to see the dyno numbers.

ScionxR 05-10-2005 09:42 AM

looks good but how do we know if the belts are on properly? Ive been contemplating doing it myself but ive always 2nd guessed myself. You made it seem so easy that i wanna try. Any pointers on what not to do?

Kong 05-10-2005 12:38 PM

I have a question. Which pulley is the PS pulley in the photos?

Thanks for the write up. :)

superfreestyle 05-10-2005 01:20 PM

I'm getting one

Travst 05-10-2005 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kong
I have a question. Which pulley is the PS pulley in the photos?

Thanks for the write up. :)

Reference the Step 4 pic. The PS pulley is in the upper left corner of the photo and is only partly visible.

Note: I added captions to the pics to clear things up.

Travst 05-10-2005 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ScionxR
looks good but how do we know if the belts are on properly? Ive been contemplating doing it myself but ive always 2nd guessed myself. You made it seem so easy that i wanna try. Any pointers on what not to do?

I think you are right to question the fit of the belts. Each belt has several grooves, so it's easy to get them into the pulleys. When re-installing the belts, my tricks work well - just take your time and they'll slip on easily.

One caution: DON'T try to spray penetrating oil on the bolts to loosen them up! If you spray, the oil will drip onto the belts leading to squeaking and slipping. If you must use penetrating oil, use a very small amount and wipe up the excess immediately.

Chimmy3 05-10-2005 03:04 PM

nice write-up... wish i had this before installing my pulley

just a side note... on my install we couldnt get the alternator back into the same position it was before... it really takes some effort to slide it and hold it in position... in that sense you will need two people to do it properly

Munch 05-11-2005 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
nice write-up... wish i had this before installing my pulley

just a side note... on my install we couldnt get the alternator back into the same position it was before... it really takes some effort to slide it and hold it in position... in that sense you will need two people to do it properly

All you need is a pry bar in one and and a ratchet in the other.

ScionxR 05-23-2005 09:38 AM

at step #4 i couldnt seem to get the bolt off the pulley. i had a normal socket wrench and leaned back trying to loosen it. Is it something weird like going clockwise? Or is a torque wrench needed?

jct 05-24-2005 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by ScionxR
at step #4 i couldnt seem to get the bolt off the pulley. i had a normal socket wrench and leaned back trying to loosen it. Is it something weird like going clockwise? Or is a torque wrench needed?

you can try using a breaker bar or cheater bar (its just a long piece of pipe) just make sure it doesn't slip off

cclark 10-24-2005 06:09 PM

One step that was missed in the write up was loosening the belt on the power steering pump. Just an fyi for the diy guys that don't know exactly what they are doing.

IH8ONYU 02-28-2006 08:18 PM

so, can someone fill me in on how to loosen the PS pulley?
I have no clue..... also, how the hell did you get the bottom alt bolt loose, from top or bottom? I have no room to work a wrench in there....

cclark 02-28-2006 08:42 PM

so, can someone fill me in on how to loosen the PS pulley?
I have no clue..... also, how the hell did you get the bottom alt bolt loose, from top or bottom? I have no room to work a wrench in there....
It is tough but you just need to get a ratchet with the correct size (depth) socket. I loosened it from the top. It also helps to get a mirror.

The ps belt tensioner is found on the bottom of the pulley, you actually have to go through one of the holes in the ps pulley. There is also a bolt at the top of the bracket (you can reach fron the top) that will need to be loosened as well.

I would take pics but my box is in the shop for body work.[/quote]

IH8ONYU 02-28-2006 10:26 PM

Thanks!! I apprecieate the tips! been strugglin with this damn pully for about 2 weeks... i wanted it done B4 i took the box in for repaint on the bumpers, but i will try to tackle it again next week when i get it back.