Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

picked up a 05 XB need cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Default picked up a 05 XB need cruise control

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2005 xB with only 47,000 miles. it came with an audiovox cruise control that isn't working so I am looking to replace it. I don't know how hard this is, but was hoping to get feedback from you guys who have installed cruise into an xB that didn't have it. Has anyone installed an OEM cruise control unit into the xB?

i found this one by rostra: http://www.redline360.com/rostra-cru...on-xb-250-1755 but when I look around, it seems that Rostra and Audiovox cruise controls might be the same thing. Since my Audiovox that came with the car isn't working, I'm hesitant to buy another one.

Any thoughts on this kit? good/bad? is there another that's better?

thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the rostra and it works great. If yours is indeed the same as the rostra, you might want to go to their website and troubleshoot what you have before investing money in a new one. On mine, there is a wire that plugs in under the dash on the passenger side. If something happens to the connection there, everything appears to be working, but the cc never engages. In other words, you get the little green light when you turn it on, but it doesn't work no matter how many times you try it. That connection seems to be the Achilles heal. We had to contact tech support during the original install, and after a series of questions, they pointed us specifically to that location of the install. Securing that connection solved the problem quickly. Then, almost a year later, the cc stopped working. I had put a bunch of stuff from the store on the floor on the passengers side. That must have somehow affected the connection because the problem fixed itself when I took the stuff out of the car several days later. I had a tech help me install it and he told me he didn't like the way that connection works. So I need to find it and do something to protect/secure it.

The good news is that if what you have is the same as the rostra, even if it is broken, you won't need help installing it because you will just be replacing parts. Maybe you wouldn't need help anyway. I did because when I read over the instructions, I realized that even if I was successful, it would take me several hours. The tech had it installed in about an hour and he had never installed a cc before (car alarms and remote starts were the things he was most familiar with). The help cost me $60 and ended up being worth every penny when we ran into the problem I described above.

Btw, I researched this quite a bit before going with rostra. Imo, it is the best option you have. I had heard that their support was good and my experience with their tech support confirmed this. As I recall, they also stand behind their product with a good warranty. Oh, almost forgot, there are also a couple of fuses you should check. They are probably under the dash on the driver's side. Could be hanging or attached almost anyplace. They are regular blade fuses. I seem to recall that both are red (10 amp).

Last edited by bearsnob; 03-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.