Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   Power Loss - Issues with Throttle Response (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/power-loss-issues-throttle-response-237058/)

Steven4x4 03-22-2019 09:40 PM

Power Loss - Issues with Throttle Response

Hello,

I have a 06 Scion xA Manual Transmission.
I'm having issues with throttle response when I need to go fast.
If I'm just cruising around at low speeds I do not experience any issues. (Usually in the lower RPM's going up).
However, when I need to get going quickly, when I shift into the next gear and have the gas pedal floored...
The car revs up high, but the power is no longer there, it takes a second for it to start moving.

I've changed the spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator and have cleaned the MAF sensor and Air Filter and have ran SeaFoam through it.
The fuel injectors seem fine.
My cousin mentioned the clutch might be going out, but I don't believe that to be true as I'm not experiencing any other issues related to the clutch or shifting for that matter.
No check engine or error codes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2stroked 03-23-2019 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Steven4x4 (Post 4293203)
However, when I need to get going quickly, when I shift into the next gear and have the gas pedal floored...
The car revs up high, but the power is no longer there, it takes a second for it to start moving.

Sounds like your clutch is slipping. When this happens, do you smell anything awful? A slipping clutch smells just like over-heated brakes.

Steven4x4 03-23-2019 11:29 PM

No - Nothing smells.

However, if we take the shifting out of the equation.
Say, I'm in 3rd gear at 2.5-3 RPMs, if I try to floor it, the same thing happens, high rev, then a delayed throttle response.

So, I don't think that shifting is really even part of the problem anymore.

2stroked 03-24-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Steven4x4 (Post 4293214)
No - Nothing smells.

However, if we take the shifting out of the equation.
Say, I'm in 3rd gear at 2.5-3 RPMs, if I try to floor it, the same thing happens, high rev, then a delayed throttle response.

So, I don't think that shifting is really even part of the problem anymore.

There's only two ways RPMs go up quickly in a standard transmission with the clutch engaged. The desired way is the car accelerates as fast as the gearing will allow. The other way is the clutch slips. From what you've described, you have the latter. Take it to a competent shop and have them drive it before you waste any more money throwing parts at it that it doesn't need.

MileHightC 03-24-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroked (Post 4293220)
Take it to a competent shop and have them drive it before you waste any more money throwing parts at it that it doesn't need.

Excellent advice and I'd agree that you have a slipping clutch...

Steven4x4 03-25-2019 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.
I'm not familiar with the term "Component Shop". Is there another name for it?

2stroked 03-25-2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Steven4x4 (Post 4293233)
Thanks for all the feedback.
I'm not familiar with the term "Component Shop". Is there another name for it?

Competent shop. That's a shop that knows what they're doing.

Steven4x4 03-25-2019 07:42 PM

Oops - That's embarrassing. Thanks for the correction.
Thanks for your help!

2stroked 03-25-2019 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steven4x4 (Post 4293239)
Oops - That's embarrassing. Thanks for the correction.
Thanks for your help!

No problem. Let us know what you find.

michael73 05-27-2019 04:39 AM

Clutch - nothing else.