Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   Problems with the TRD Short Shift (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/problems-trd-short-shift-17670/)

wingshelpmefly 02-08-2005 10:21 PM

Problems with the TRD Short Shift

I installed a TRD short shift a couple months ago and a couple of things are happening. Overall, the performance is great, and I think it's worth it. One of the things that happened was about a month ago, my clutch rod actually popped up and out of place and I had to take off the short shift to fix it. It also seems alot harder to go into gear (sometimes it doesn't go) which results in a lot of grinding. The only thing I can think of is these spacers I got with the TRD shift that I forget to put in when I installed it. The spacers go on the very bottom of the short shift and it looks like it's supposed to raise the whole thing about a centimeter or two... does anyone know what might be causing this and how big of a difference a centimeter makes??

TOAST3R 02-08-2005 10:30 PM

why didnt you put them on? trd wouldnt just put them in there if they didnt serve a purpose. put them on and see if it solves your problem.

thats like me saying my tires dont hold air, am i suppose to put these valve stems that came with them on

wingshelpmefly 02-09-2005 02:08 AM

yea i guess thats what i have to do.... it's just so much work
haha

hotbox05 02-09-2005 03:19 AM

yeah most probably thats the problem.

uncompiled 02-09-2005 04:53 PM

LOL! It's one screw to take out the center console and four bolts to take out... you can just slip them underneath the assembly with the shift cables still attached to the shifter and then tighten it all back up. :P

And next time, follow the instructions... one time, someone on the eclipse forums installed a 2G Eclipse intake on a 3G Eclipse... and couldn't get the MAF to fit, so he threw it away not knowing what it did... needless to say... there's a reason why things are there.

mach5 02-10-2005 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by wingshelpmefly
haha

do it right or dont' do it at all

its even worse when you do a hack job on your own car :no:

timinaz 02-10-2005 01:24 AM

The RS-Type Short Shifter has those spacers also. When I installed mine I didn't know that they were to go underneath the Shifter assembly. It seemed to threw the shift off where the 1, 3, and 5 was shorter. But the 2, 4 and Reverse was further back. I went and changed the spacers to under the shifter assembly tonight and noticed a difference in the odd gears.

mikochu 02-10-2005 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by timinaz
The RS-Type Short Shifter has those spacers also.

As far as I know, the RS-Type short shifter is a TRD quickshifter clone. I heard the plastic assembly isn't as good as the TRD's, though...

TOAST3R 02-10-2005 01:35 AM

The RS-Type Short Shifter has those spacers also. When I installed mine I didn't know that they were to go underneath the Shifter assembly. It seemed to threw the shift off where the 1, 3, and 5 was shorter. But the 2, 4 and Reverse was further back. I went and changed the spacers to under the shifter assembly tonight and noticed a difference in the odd gears.

im not trying to trash you but if i install something and have pieces left over i take it back off until i can figure out why i have extra pieces left over.

and maybe its just because im good at puzzles but didnt it sem kinda obvious that you had 4 spacers left, and that your quickshifter didnt have spacers like the factory one did

LiquidXB 02-10-2005 01:56 AM

So are you happy with the RS-Type shifter or not??? I am thinking of buying one and just want to know what you think of it...

timinaz 02-10-2005 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by TOAST3R

im not trying to trash you but if i install something and have pieces left over i take it back off until i can figure out why i have extra pieces left over.

and maybe its just because im good at puzzles but didnt it sem kinda obvious that you had 4 spacers left, and that your quickshifter didnt have spacers like the factory one did

I actually installed them like a washer, I felt the bolts were too long just to go back in alone. I hate having extra pieces also! but my shifter didn't come with instructiions. When I compared the RSR to the stock it seemed to sit at the same height as the stock shifter. That 1/4" helped though...

timinaz 02-10-2005 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by mikochu

The RS-Type Short Shifter has those spacers also.

As far as I know, the RS-Type short shifter is a TRD quickshifter clone. I heard the plastic assembly isn't as good as the TRD's, though...

Yeah the plastic doesn't look as good but it doesn't feel brittle or softer that the stock assembly. I can always pop the shift lever to the stock mount later on.

timinaz 02-10-2005 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidXB

So are you happy with the RS-Type shifter or not??? I am thinking of buying one and just want to know what you think of it...

Yeah for the price it's not bad, I have 2 stock shifters and will be calling Randy/Randode to get one of his to do a comparison soon.

hotbox05 02-10-2005 02:27 AM

I love my rs-type short throw. I have not had any problems at all .

dajap 02-10-2005 06:46 AM

who did you order your trd Short shift from? Didn't come with instructions that odd

Sparks_Scion_TRD_Parts 02-10-2005 06:44 PM

Instructions

I just opened one of our TRD Shifters to double check the instructions and I can make a copy for you if that would help. Let me know.

Ken
www.trdsparks.com

wingshelpmefly 02-11-2005 12:22 AM

no it has instructions i get i just skipped that part or something

BrianxB 02-11-2005 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by wingshelpmefly
haha

it took me 5 minutes to put in my shifter. Maybe you should have someone else do it...

wingshelpmefly 02-12-2005 07:53 PM

bull____

hotbox05 02-12-2005 08:14 PM

My short shift took like 20 max. more like 10 or 15.