Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Question about misfire cylinder 2

Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question about misfire cylinder 2

I have done a search but everything is a little different than this.

Recently had issues with the plugs on cylinder 1 and 2 coming loose while on freeway. Engine did rev high to about 6K or so as I tried not to get killed. I replaced all the plugs to be safe and I have a misfire on cylinder 2. I swapped coils to eliminate that.

The car usually idles rough on 3 cylinders, sounds like a lawn mower, and occasionally it will idle fine with only the exhaust leak making noise. Then as the rpm's build you feel the power come back and after about 2000 rpm the engine pulls normally. It cruises at 3200 rpm at 70 mph. It does take longer to shift from 4300 rpm to the 3200 rpm when I have to accelerate to highway speed in traffic. Occasionally it does stall when braking so I do shift into neutral to make sure it stays running.

I am experiencing oil in the engine compartment and now on the rear hatch. The oil is pooling below cylinders 1&2 below what I think is called the oil control valve, part of the valve control system.

Also every so often the car does experience little or no acceleration when I press the gas, sounds like the car is underwater a little, and then when the rpm hits 2000 you feel the power and hear it come back to life.

Does anyone have any ideas what they think this could be? It is weird that it pulls fine and runs normal on the freeway.

Also what would cause only a misfire on cylinder 2 only? If it was the oil control valve the power band would all be affected, I would think.

I am hoping not to have to pull the head but it appears that is where I am heading. If I can determine for sure it is the head, I would probably just order a new gasket and rebuilt head. So I can do the swap quickly and get my car back to running right.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone had issues with cam sensors working intermittently? I am still trying to figure this out.