Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

a REAL project

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so what are you going to do about about the wiring harness, and still trying to use the xbs regular functional parts/ windows/lights/tach etc etc

poping the motor in is the easy part.. getting everything to work after that is the hard part... ive seen 3sgte's in 89 camry's locally that stomp.. but that converting obd's down ward.. converting ob's upward especially on an ob2 is a tad harder...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, now don't watch TOO intently... it's gona take a while for this project to work it's way to the finish.

so i'm going to say this...

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS AND OR DEATHS FROM THIS POST CAUSING OTHERS TO WATCH TOO INTENTLY THAT IT CAUSE SICKNESS AND OR STARVATION!

there...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't expect to have half the control that i have now.

my main concern is all lights, whiper controls and dash environmental control. if i can't use many stock parts such as the gauges and more then likely the dumby lights we have, i will just do my own gauge and dash settup how i see fit. i'm not worried about the little stuff to be honest with ya, it'll be easy to get around compared to getting the rear drive system going on.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, so heres an update, i read that the newer 3SGTE engines were VVTi enabled. this is not true, all versions of the 3SGTE are non-VVTi enabled, i comfirmed with Toyota Motors Japan.

also, additional off topic info...
the 2nd gen xB in japan is known as the Corolla Rumion and the Yaris in japan is known as the Ractis and has a small modofication the upper rear hatch area.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Far closer to a dream, I always wanted to swap and EVO or STi drivetrain into an xB but yours is more the reality version of that and that makes it SO COOL!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had actualy looked into the Evo drivetrain way before thinking about the 3SGTE and the All-Trac system because i had been lead to believe that the compenents were too hard to come by when really, they're not.

the STi system is aother option but requires nearly twice the amount of work because it's a rear wheel drive based tranny instead of the front wheel drive based tranny that both the EVO and Celica uses.

don't rule the EVO out of the pot of ideas though. the 3SGTE and All-Trac system combo is rather nice... but the 4G63 and the new EVO 10 4B11T are anywhere from slightly to moderatly more powerful options for stock settups *4G63 around 295hp/225lbs torque, 4B11T around 295hp/300lbs torque and both 2.0L in size, 4G63 being the 4th gen 3SGTE's aprox. equal*. but the EVO drivetrain isn't as strong as the ST205 version of the All-Trac system.

in a handeling aspect though. using the 3SGTE and All-Trac all wheel drive system in the xB will be just about the same as haneling in an EVO 8 or 9. the Celica rides lower then the EVO and is much shorter in actual body hight while taking advantage of a rather wide wheel base for the Celica's size. the EVO is a bulkier car mainly because of it's rally purposes. the Celica during it's time was originaly a street car, Toyota modified it with the all wheel drive and more powerful engine and released it's AWD sports models so that it could join in on the WRC fun and games.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something similar (to what an AWD xB with some more power would be)in feel that if you ever get the chance take a ride-Mazda 323 GT from like '88.

Those were crazy cool sleepers. 4wd and I belive 150 hp or so but they were light and they lloked just like a regular 323 hatchback body wise (total economy car)

They also made a sedan version but it was still just front drive-it was still pretty fast though.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never gota chance to ride in the awd one my self but i have had a little fun in a 323 sedan .
Old 02-02-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, so once i've gotten the powerplant and tranny in my hands, i'm going to need the help of a well abled lot Dealer. i need some helping hands to get ahold of the healthiest salvageable 04-06.5 scion xB. i'm looking for Flood damage xB's and or xB's with slight rear end damage but not enough to ruin the rear wheel tract OR an xB that has side *t-bone* damage that hasn't touched the roof or flooring *only door and b-pillar damage*. i only need the body/frame of the xB with a healty front end and straight floor frame all the way back to the rear wheels in order for me to get this entire project to work. otherwise, i'm going to have to get one wrecked xB with a healthy front end and one with a healthy rear end and magicly be precise with the modification...
Old 02-03-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

Wow.. That is an incredible project to take on. Good luck.. It sounds awesome.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

watching
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

OOHHHHOOHHHOHOHOH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*catches breath cause he can't breathe*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh, sorry, i'm laughing cause a 3SGTE swap has already been done on the xB from what i've been reading. not a full on AWD conversion, just FWD but it's been done. people say it's searchable on google, but havn't found much yet, still looking though but from the text it seems they arn't lieing that it's been done already.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't get that last comment but ok heh
Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it means that from what was writen in text on whatever forums they are on, it was writen in a way that is actualy convincing that they are telling the truth rather then being idiots and trying to be cool.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, so i took the liberty *while picking up a 1JZ with a buddy of mine* to take a look at a 3SGTE and a E151 AWD tranny. did some measurements to get a size reference...

my conclusion, the 3SGTE is NOT as big as everyone keeps making it out to be... remember the guy who was puting the 2AZFE TC engine in his xb? that engine is bigger then the 3SGTE and the 2AZFE was fitting in the bay just fine. Also, the 1ZZFE and 2ZZGE engines are also, in physical length, longer then the 3SGTE from what i can tell by about a half inch while the 3SGTE is about a half inch longer then the 1NZFE. Tranny wise, the E151 is about the same size if not about a half inch SHORTER then the stock C50 the xB has.

the only worry about measurements is is engine highth. because of the intake for the 3SGTE, it makes the engine LOOK big, but all you gotta do is make a new intake log thats right up next the back of the head and intake ports then you're good to go and then just re-arange where the charge pipieing goes and put the throttle body off to the side instead over the top of the engine.

my measurements that i got earlier today:

ENGINE: Length aprox 23", highth aprox 28.5", width aprox 20"

TRANNY: Measurements done on the FWD tranny only, the AWD tranny is the same only with a central transfercase bolted to the back of it. Length aprox 15.5" *Stock tranny is about 16.5" length*.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nice measurements, keep it up.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any up updates?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
any up updates?
yeah x2
Old 03-10-2008, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at the moment, no updates towards to main power-plant. i've located a few front clips i can use for all the front end work and parts that i need and i'm still located all the rear end pieces aswell.

i came across a problem... was going to just do a front wheel drive thing until the rear end was figured out... seems i can't do that. see, if i just did a front wheel drive thing, i'd have tire rotation problems... 5-lug on the front and 4-lug on the back doesn't work to well so i have to do it all at once.

i figured i'd be a cool guy and do something for everyone here. i'm going to get a healthy xB, say a flooded one, gut it out and use it as my ginny pig. well here's the thing, once i've fitted the 3SGTE and the AWD in there, i'm going to duplicate all the bolt points for document each one and send them in for copy-rights and then manufactor on order these parts for a straight up bolt-on 3SGTE+AWD conversion settup. once i've done this, the 3SGTE+AWD that i used for the testing will go into my actualy xB i drive daily, the ginny-pig xB will become an "up-for-grabs" 3SGTE+AWD conversion ready xB shell.

at the moment i am more focused on some wiring jobs i need to do for this hybrid fuel system i'm doing within the same project. a high power/high production water fuel cell. i'm sure some of you have seen or atleast heard about these. yes, they do work so before you start ranting now, please keep your teeth shut... the cell i've been working on is a 10-14.8v operating cell and runs between 0 and 80amps of power. because of this and the physical size of the fuel cell, it requires a special wiring job. gota go from 0 gauge main power cables down to 2 sets of 57 positive wires and 57 negative wires, all crammed in a 4 inch diameter tube ALONG with the electrodes and heating system and have to be a thick enough gauge to handle the power pulled through them. i've been working on the design intently...

Quick Reply: a REAL project