Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Voltage regulation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Voltage regulation?

I’ve had a few other posts here and for those that helped I appreciate it, haven’t had closure on those yet because something else keeps coming up.

Old alternator locked up, replaced it, new alternator locked up in 5 seconds, 2nd new alternator put out 14v for about 3 weeks then the voltage dropped to 12v, 3rd new alternator put out 13.8v and is slowly dropping after 2 weeks to 12.8v.

it has a brand new battery, only codes are O2 sensor and catalytic which I’m not replacing until I can trust it enough to drive it.

What could be causing these alternator problems?

Thanks

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

*Note:
xAEngine questions are Combined into the xA/xB1st Gen-Drivetrain-Power Sub-forum

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2018 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 11-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

What brand alternators are you putting in and have you taken it to one of the auto parts stores that will do full testing of the charging system? I'd be surprised to hear of three alternators going bad but I'm also a firm believer in going OEM when it comes to electronic components like alternators. How much tension are you putting on the belt when you install the alternators? Going too tight could lead to a lock-up problem.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
What brand alternators are you putting in and have you taken it to one of the auto parts stores that will do full testing of the charging system? I'd be surprised to hear of three alternators going bad but I'm also a firm believer in going OEM when it comes to electronic components like alternators. How much tension are you putting on the belt when you install the alternators? Going too tight could lead to a lock-up problem.
they are from Auto Zone, the first had to have been a faulty alternator, the second wasn’t tightened much, that is the belt could be compressed 1/2 inch or so with your hand, the present and 3rd alternator was just pulled hand tight and again 1/2 inch of compression on the belt, the belt does not seem to be slipping as there is no squalling.

the car has not been to a place that can test the full charging system, just checking codes.

i really feel they are just crappy alternators and I was going to get a different one next time. There didn’t seem to be a separate voltage regulator.

i agree with OEM electrical parts but I needed it fixed fast and that was the only option at the time, so much for fast fix!
Old 11-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Yep, AutoZone would be about my last choice of places to buy electrical parts...with the time and effort you've got in this it would have almost been faster to get an OEM alternator (although certainly not less expensive). The other place I typically gt parts from, provided I'm not in a huge hurry, is Rockauto.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All those alternators failing in quick succession is really weird. There must be something else going on - what I don't know - is the start motor sticking on?? Is there some huge power drain somewhere that is burning them out.
I did stumble across this site recently - I bet there are a few more - It may save you some money rebuilding them until you can find why they are melting down
Old 11-28-2018, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, AutoZone would be about my last choice of places to buy electrical parts...with the time and effort you've got in this it would have almost been faster to get an OEM alternator (although certainly not less expensive). The other place I typically gt parts from, provided I'm not in a huge hurry, is Rockauto.
i will see if I can get an OEM around here, my big concern was missing something else
Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
All those alternators failing in quick succession is really weird. There must be something else going on - what I don't know - is the start motor sticking on?? Is there some huge power drain somewhere that is burning them out.
I did stumble across this site recently - I bet there are a few more - It may save you some money rebuilding them until you can find why they are melting down
the starter isn’t sticking and the car is completely stock, I don’t know, after getting this alternator a guy at my church said he had a similar issue with auto zone, they have replaced all of them so far but probably won’t again or at least will make a big fuss about it
Old 12-07-2018, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought an alternator from Rockauto, it’s been in a week or so now but that doesn’t mean much I don’t drive much but for now it’s working, the others did too for a few weeks though.