Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   Slack in throttle cable - very easy adjustment (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/slack-throttle-cable-very-easy-adjustment-32842/)

xActly 08-21-2005 01:53 AM

Slack in throttle cable - very easy adjustment

I noticed today, while rooting around under the hood, that there was a decent amount of slack in the throttle cable, and it was adjustable...much like the hand brakes on a bicycle are adjustable.

I loosened the locknut where the cable is mounted to its bracket on the throttle body & moved the other nut (was secured with loctite) toward the throttle body about 5mm .

This took almost all of the slack out of the cable.

At rest, the throttle body still bottoms out on its idle adjustment screw. This is important, because if it's adjusted too tight the cable will keep the throttle body slightly open, even when your foot's off the gas...we don't want that.

The gas pedal now feels more solid, and since it engages the throttle body sooner, it's likely that it opens more fully when the pedal is put to the floor.

Has anyone else done this?

xAlex 08-21-2005 03:33 AM

sounds interesting... take some pics for a DIY.

B2FiNiTY 08-23-2005 06:13 AM

It will feel faster than before due to less slack in the cable. A decent DIY mod for those that want to drive around more agressively.

fusionscion 09-08-2005 07:21 PM

i drive a bit more agressive at times..... could ya post a couple pix for a fellow diy liek I? thx............ill try n figure it out, sounds easy enough im just scared about the throttle body being open at no throttle, it owuld suck to start my car and it redlines out or something liek that..............thanks though great diy mod..............

cadaver 09-09-2005 01:06 AM

i did this one myself after seeing it on a corolla website. it really works and the throttle is definitely more responsive. nice and simple diy for those interested.

rebelMan 09-09-2005 03:35 AM

gonna be one of my first mods :D

hotbox05 09-09-2005 09:01 AM

gonna check my cable for slack tomorrow.

eburgsspeedyxb 09-10-2005 09:49 PM

yeah, as soon as a pic or two shows up, I'm willing to give it a go.

uber-xA-RS2 09-11-2005 03:27 AM

Would I be correct in assuming that this would make the throttle more sensitive, or would it just make it more responsive? The floppy gas pedal was something that took me some time to get used to when I first picked up my xA since my Focus had a pretty solid gas pedal I would love to have that feeling back.

BlueBubble666 09-13-2005 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by über-xA-RS2
Would I be correct in assuming that this would make the throttle more sensitive, or would it just make it more responsive? The floppy gas pedal was something that took me some time to get used to when I first picked up my xA since my Focus had a pretty solid gas pedal I would love to have that feeling back.

This should tighten that up. I read somewhere that they do this on purpose from the factory for the granny factor. So they don't jump it into the car in front of them.

87na 09-13-2005 04:34 AM

sounds like a good mod. thanks for the idea 8)

gnar-de-gwar 09-14-2005 08:15 AM

xActly...you rule :bow: I just got back from running my car after adjusting my throttle cable and now the pedal feels so much more solid,more sensitive, and WOT (wide open throttle) is achieved faster too!! Maybe a bit too sensitive though :P I go into WOT a bit too soon, haha...just a few small turns away from the throttle body and I should be good to go

beigemonito 09-15-2005 03:16 AM

Need pics for a DIY

Someone please post some pics for a DIY! This is an awesome mod but I need some pics just to make sure im not wrecking something. PLease please please!

-Daniel

uber-xA-RS2 09-15-2005 10:28 PM

I can confirm that this does take care of ALL of the slop in the gas pedal. Nice and tight now and the car feels more "alive" at WOT. This does make the throttle slightly more sensitive but for the good side. This very mod even worked for my friends WRX.

beigemonito 09-15-2005 10:42 PM

any one have pics of this mod?

Maybe some detailed instructions? measurements how to's pics of what to touch etc. Helpity help help guys. My xa needs it pretty bad. :pray: :pray: :pray: :bow: :bow: :bow:

-Daniel

eburgsspeedyxb 09-15-2005 10:43 PM

don't forget us boxes could use this lovin too

Xbilly 09-16-2005 09:17 PM

Woah, my cable was really loose, after reading this I figured I'd check it out, but I wasn't really gonna do it right away. Once I popped the hood I was really surprised. I tightened it up immediatly, and then fixed up my girlfriends xa.
Thanks xActly!

Eski628 09-26-2005 06:31 AM

YES!!!!

xActly...you rule :bow: indeed, thanx for sharing this discovery w/ the rest of us. :D This adjustment gave my shoe/eggshell exactly what I was looking for. Thanx again.

i_think_therefore_scion 09-28-2005 01:11 PM

:clap:

Thanks for pointing this out. It's something I did on my first car 15 years ago but did not occur to me (yet) to look at on this car. I've been working my way through drivability improvements on my xA and taking the slack out of the cable really "tightened-up" the accelerator response.

I can now say I'm very pleased with the drivability. Not that it wasn't fun to drive "out-of-the-box", but the upgraded suspension, CAI and throttle cable adjustment make my urban commute a "guilty pleasure".

Wheellug 09-28-2005 05:34 PM

I'm short cuz I sit in a wheelchair..

other then that..

PICS PLEASE! :come:

Then I have an idea what I'm reaching for and where.