Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Slow build options. Need advice on what to get.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Slow build options. Need advice on what to get.

This community is old and has likely talked in droves about what there is for these 1NZ-FE engines, but just in case there's something new, it'd be nice to get the update and plop in info.

I have questions about what companies to go with, and what would be most cost effective, while also being the most liveable. I mostly want it for long mountain grades, passing lanes, and on-ramps.

Right now, I figure I have my old engine sitting around doing nothing. As income comes in, I want to take off the head, and see about improving breathing. I know TBR has larger valves, stiffer valve springs, and cams to top it off. Rather than buy a completed head from them and have a third head, I'd just use my original (475k miles be damned-- it can be salvaged, can't it?). There are loads of machinist shops in Sacramento so I can shop around for the port/polish, but my bigger concern is what might the gains really be, and where would be the most useful changes? My guess is the cam. TBR has two of them, but I want opinions on competitors products just in case. I want an N/A build.

I've also been considering an intake plenum and the 1ZZ-FE TB swap. I have a lot of yards here in Sacramento, meaning lots of Corolla's with that TB calling out to me. After all, it'd compliment my OBX 4-2-1 header. The mild increase throughout the band rather than the greater increase at peak was why I wanted a 4-2-1 header, and have been satisfied with it thus far, but I'd like to get just a tad more oomph without boost.